4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading as well as watching
Published on Dec 21 2004 by Elizabeth

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, bad reader for tape edition
I don't know whose idea it was to pick this reader for the book-on-tape edition, but he was very hard to listen to. He does have an accent but I could have gotten used to that, the main problem is his flat tone of voice. This is an exciting story but he reads it like he is reading his grocery list. My mind kept drifting while I listened to him. I recommend getting the...
Published on Feb. 20 2003 by ponceroff

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading as well as watching, Dec 21 2004
Elizabeth (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
A few weeks back, in search of something good to watch at the video store, I picked up Kevin Macdonald's Touching the Void documentary from the shelf. As I was skeptically reading the back of the DVD case, the fellow standing next to me said that it was a "really good movie." I took him on his word and later disovered a movie that I have since been raving about to all who will listen. It is a riveting story in which an injured climber is left for dead on a Peruvian mountain and manages to crawl his way off. It sounds like fiction, but, as is often the case, this true story is incredible beyond what a writer could believable construct. So, when I found out that Joe Simpson (the climber left on the mountain) had written a book, Touching the Void about his harrowing adventure, I knew I needed to read it.
The movie and the DVD extras take the viewer on an emotional path where one at first dislikes the arrongant and impetuous Simpson, while his climbing pal Simon Yates seems more sympathetic. However, as the movie continues and especially if you watch the Return to Siula Grande DVD extra, it becomes hard not to empathize with Simpson's reaction to returning to the place where he had faced so much trauma and to, in contrast, find Yates cold and unfeeling, as if the experience they shared so many years before no longer affected him personally. The end of the movie leaves one with the impression that Simpson, although understanding at what Yates did, does not really like Yates and does certainly not consider him a friend.
The book, written several years earlier, certainly leaves a more positive impression of Yates. While Simpson admits to having written the book in part to clear Yates's name in the climbing communitry, his storytelling takes the reader beyond a defense of Yates's actions. In fact, Simpson's description of Yates's attempt to lower the injured Simpson down the mountain portrays an act that is nothing short of heroic. It is clear that his cutting the rope was a last, desperate resort to end a situation in which there was no way out.
While the book and the movie both tell very closely the same story, reading the book and seeing the movie is neither a redundant experience nor an exercise in detecting differences in the two plots. In fact, the one enriches the story in the other. The maps and the first-person telling in the book complement the documentary-style script and the sweeping vistas caught on film.

4.0 out of 5 stars EXTREME ADVENTURE IN THE PERUVIAN ANDES..., June 8 2002
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Touching The Void (Paperback)
This book recounts an amazing tale of courage, fortitude, and the will to live, despite dire circumstances. The author, Joe Simpson, and his climbing partner, Simon Yates, attempted to ascend a perilous section of the Peruvian Andes. Near the summit, tragedy struck when Joe, up over 19,000 feet, fell and hit a slope at the base of a cliff, breaking his right leg, rupturing his right knee, and shattering his right heel. Beneath him was a seemingly endless fall to the bottom.
When Simon reached him, they both knew that the chances for getting Joe off the mountain were virtually non-existent. Yet, they fashioned a daring plan to to do just that. For the next few hours, they worked in tandem through a snow storm, and managed a risky, yet effective way of trying to lower Joe down the mountain.
About three thousand feet down, Joe, who was still roped to Simon, dropped off an edge and found himself now free hanging in space six feet away from an ice wall, unable to reach it with his axe. The edge was over hung about fifteen feet above him. The dark outline of a crevasse lay about a hundred feet directly below him.
Joe could not get up, and Simon could not get down. In fact, Joe's weight began to pull Simon off the mountain. So, Simon was finally forced to do the only thing he could do under the circumstances. He cut the rope, believing that he was consigning his friend to certain death. Therein lies the tale.
What happens next is sure to make one believe in miracles. This is an absorbing read and one of the great stories in mountaineering literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping; couldn't put it down, April 8 2005
NorthVan Dave (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Touching The Void (Paperback)
This was one novel that I could not put down. In a nut shell, this true life story is about Joe Simpson and the troubles he endured while mountaineering in Peruvian Andes. What makes the story so gripping is that this was no up the mountain; down the mountain story. Instead Joe takes us on a wild ride into his psyche as he encounters a few problems along the way, and how he manages to deal with them in a calm, cool, collected manner.
Even though this book has been making the rounds in the rock climbing/mountaineering scene for years now, everyone, regardless of their backgrounds should give this book a read. It is a testament to the human spirit, as well as a never give up attitude. At the end of the book, all you'll be able to say is 'wow'.

5.0 out of 5 stars engrossing, March 7 2014
This review is from: Touching the Void (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't stop reading. Great book, well written. I would highly recommend this book. I also enjoyed the movie years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, Feb. 6 2014
This review is from: Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival (Paperback)
A story of a mans survival while climbing a mountain. It made me wonder why anyone would take up this type of endeavour. I gave the book to a man who had climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, thinking he would enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching the Void, Jan. 3 2014
This review is from: Touching the Void (Kindle Edition)
Some of us occasionally want to "see what we're made of". Other times that opportunity is imposed on us by unforeseen circumstances. Simpson's account of his alpine odyssey is among the most amazing stories I have ever read! It detailed account of his outward efforts at survival tell us a lot about his inner strength that made all that possible.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of adventure and misadventure, Dec 26 2013
This review is from: Touching the Void (Kindle Edition)
This book tells the story of surviving a climbing expedition accident.  It is probably like chocolate to a climber as they imagine themselves on the same mountain. For a non climber it offers some glimpses into the thoughts, decisions and techniques used. If Joe was ever able to augment the book I would have appreciated a section with more maps and explanations of terms, snow conditions and techniques. Diagrams would be really informative.
The second part of the book where both men come to terms and rationalize truly horrifying decisions is surprisingly tender.
The book made me wonder more about climbers in general. What makes them want to pit their lives against not only harsh conditions but also twists of fate from which there is no protections.
I liked the book even if I couldn't always visualize the situation. And I have a craving now to sleep in a snow cave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, Nov. 7 2013
I liked this book so much I went out and rented the movie. It's a fast-paced, keep you on the edge of your seat novel. I can't believe they both survived. A story of courage and human fortitude.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Oct. 8 2013
I liked it alot. Survival books are da s***. But in all seriousness it pretty good. Has that "can put book down" factor

5.0 out of 5 stars So you think you had a bad day..., Sept. 25 2013
This review is from: Touching the Void (Kindle Edition)
Being too chicken to put my own life at risk, I love reading stories about those who do -- call it vicarious thrill seeking. I also admit to being a "Walter Mitty" of extreme sports and adventure.

Here's the deal before I delve into a true-life adventure masterpiece. Step 1: I make sure that the apartment is properly cozy (e.g. gas fireplace on, classical music playing on the stereo, beagles snuggling under a blanket next to me on the sofa) while bone-chilling fall and winter rains wash away all of Vancouver's accumulated summer grime. Step 2: I put frozen cinnamon apple crisp dessert in the oven so that the whole apartment eventually smells like some glorious Old World bakery. Step 3: I turn on my Kindle and transport myself, as if by magic, through time & space to the deepest jungles of Africa with Livingstone (in the 19th Century) or some desolate reef off the coast of Australia -- Batavia's Graveyard -- along with the other survivors who found themselves at the mercy of a 17th Century "Charles Manson" psychopath: Apothecary Geronimus Cornelius.

In "Touching the Void," you will likely rediscover the beauty of simple things like breathing (!) when you confront the void along with these intrepid mountaineers. Put on your imaginary crampons and brace yourself....

ARRAY(0xaa8ac8c4)