5.0 out of 5 stars Seems pretty handy

2.0 out of 5 stars The Monster Book of Letdowns
Published 1 month ago by Christina

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems pretty handy, Aug. 25 2009
J. Jarvis (Sharbot Lake, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Monster Book Of Manga: Draw Like the Experts (Paperback)
This book seems great for beginners, maybe even others as well. I see nothing wrong with the book itself, it's great and has very useful tips, perfect for what I need. I explains in detail about the character's position and also shows how to do different types of positions. The book doesn't actually show *how* to draw though, but it's still great. Has lots of different types of people, monsters, and so on. At the end of the book it shows how to digitalize the drawings as well for if people want to. It as well shows shading, coloring, and is a pretty heavy book considering it's thick pages.

It's great, I like it and love it, helped me alot. (Already knew how to draw I can mimic anything, just needed all the tips in it about shading and positions).

2.0 out of 5 stars The Monster Book of Letdowns, Jan. 20 2015
I bought this book thinking it would better help me with character designs, proportions, that sort of thing, and I was terribly wrong in doing so. I thought 'experts' would have valuable insight to offer on such things, and while most of the art is nice (some of the characters seem to have very... strange proportions, some look cross eyed, etc), it's not really useful for much more than a flip book of cool things other people drew.

I, for one, did not find the 'simple' 'step by step' stages of drawing useful in this book. Going from an oval and a couple of lines in the first step, to a completely fleshed out outline of a person in the next is just not helpful to me, nor is it really 'step by step' in my opinion (a few lines at a time is fine, giving a short explanation of what was done is aces, but going from perhaps five lines to a fully proportioned person is one hell of a leap).

Additionally, I really didn't learn anything about drawing from this book. All it does/tries to do is show you how to draw certain characters in set positions (many of which are terribly awkward ones that you would probably never care to try to use anyways). This was more of a 'watch how the experts do it' book than 'learn to do it like the experts', because honestly if you are able to follow the steps it gives you to draw these (sometimes very complex) drawings/character then you really don't need this book because you're probably already pretty good.

At about the same time I bought 'Master Manga with Mark Crilley', 'How to Draw Manga, Male Characters' by Hikaru Hayashi and 'How to Draw Manga Couples', also by Hikaru Hayashi (I do find this one requires more previous know how than the other two, though), and while the three of these books are each a fraction of the size of The Monster Book of Manga, they are infinitely more helpful and I would suggest looking into those or other such books if you actually want to learn how to draw 'manga' style characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for people that have some art instruction, Sept. 15 2013
fantastic book if you are looking for a reference or learn by copying book. There is not much instruction but the drawings are easy to follow and the instruction that it does have is very good -easily understandable... I would not recommend this book for a beginner unless you have had previous art instruction, but .I would recommend it for those who know sort of what they are doing. It is a great book..

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Nov. 16 2014
My sis really enjoyed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Draw like the experts? well, I don't think so., Feb. 22 2009
This book is maybe good for people don't know how to draw or if you wanna fake Japanese style. I say the style here is between Japanese and American. some artists here seem not to know anatomy and even can't draw hands well. Also Japanese clothing, Kimono etc, and words are little messed(made) up (I guess they didn't do much research about it). I disappointed and totally regretted that I wasted my money on this book. But, the last chapter, about the use of digital tool, which it is very basic, maybe useful for beginners, so I say 1 star.

The Monster Book Of Manga: Draw Like the Experts
The Monster Book Of Manga: Draw Like the Experts by Joso Estudio (Paperback - Dec 21 2005)
CDN$ 31.99 CDN$ 20.05