5.0 out of 5 stars A deffinate Journey
If your reading this than you must have also read Way of the Peaceful Warrior and Sacred Journey of The Peaceful Warrior. If you have not read those 2 books, please read them first. They will plant a seed in you that will change your life.
Published on April 20 2005 by Drew

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good
I never read the book The peacefull warrior, but saw the movie.
I got this in a sale for a very cheap price, so I taught "Why not!?"
And.... I read it in two days!

I really loved it, a lot of nice quotations to remember. And loved the last entry by Dan Millman, that make it full circle (but I won't tell you!)

Now I have bought the other...
Published on July 29 2009 by FreeSpirit

5.0 out of 5 stars A deffinate Journey, April 20 2005
Drew (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a great novel about the life journey of Socrates with an ending that will not only shock you... it may just bring tears to your eyes as it did to mine.
Dan's books have been the easiest, most influencing books I have read that dont push and preach like many other spiritual styled books. How he is able to portray his messages with such clarity and make the emotions come alive is beyond me? I have not come across any other individual that has been able to touch me so deeply.
I wish the best to all and I thank you Dan for sharing your stories with us.
I do hope that this is not the end to the Warrior saga?
Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent story, Nov. 30 2012
This book reads like an excellent story whether fictive or biographical. It is different from the other books related - I read those before and prefer this one- but being a reader of stories that "take me there" I can affirm that this one does a good job of that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Russian background, good story, sprinkling of Peaceful Warrior philosophy, Nov. 14 2006
This review is from: The Journeys Of Socrates: An Adventure (Paperback)
This novel, though written later, is a prequel to Way of the Peaceful Warrior and Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior. As with those novels, there is much debate on what is fact and what is fiction. From my perspective, that debate doesn't matter...this is an enjoyable read, which echoes the leanings and lessons of the first two novels.

For pure reading enjoyment, I would rank this one with the Way of the Peaceful Warrior. The Journeys of Socrates is a better story, with less lecturing/preachiness of the original Peaceful Warrior, while the Way novel laid out Millman's personal philosophies in more detail.

I also enjoyed the Russian history and culture included in this novel. Insights into both Russian Jewish plight and livings and Cossacks are provided.

Sergei/Socrates experiences enormous heartache and challenges, some violently so, mainly to drive home the point of Mr. Millman's "peaceful warrior" teachings: martial artists/warriors train not to fight, but to gain peace through self-control and deeper internal understanding. By having half Jewish/half Cossasck Sergei experience and witness loss, feel revenge and work at overcoming those violent feelings, Millman drives home this point in a way that the setting of the first two books would not allow.

I also enjoyed the views into the Russian "martial arts", without mentioning Systema. The concept of "bracing" (dousing yourself with cold water everyday to build up strength and immunities) and breathing methods are well weaved into the fabric of the story of Sergei's training.

I would have enjoyed more detail on the "world council of martial artists" that is mentioned a few times towards the end of the book. A potential fourth novel, Mr. Millman?

Final note: there is a certain amount of violence and loss in this novel, some scenes which may bother some readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, July 29 2009
This review is from: The Journeys Of Socrates: An Adventure (Paperback)
I never read the book The peacefull warrior, but saw the movie.
I got this in a sale for a very cheap price, so I taught "Why not!?"
And.... I read it in two days!

Now I have bought the other two and knowing I would read them from a chronological point of vue, I believe it will make it much more deeper about the wonders of life and that everything happens for a reason.

Overall, a good read that make you feel good.
I would definitely recommended it to beginners in books about spirituality or anyone who likes good books with some truth in it, and a reminder about our path in life. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Journeys of the Socrate, amazing, June 17 2009
Marthe Martel "student" (ottawa, ontrio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Journeys Of Socrates: An Adventure (Paperback)
Wonderful reading. If you have some philosophy background, we know all is possible, he added some fiction to it, behind the scene the story is
actually lived and still today is lived by some. When you are at a higher
level of understanding life, you just know.
It is a great book
I read all of Dan Millman books and they all project the same
I highly recommend his books

2.0 out of 5 stars Super, June 15 2006
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Journeys Of Socrates: An Adventure (Paperback)
This is a book that I loved until the very end. The end and notes will cause all joy of the story to be lost. This book was long awaited by fans around the world. The first book in this trilogy came out 25 years ago; The Way of the Peaceful Warrior has been an international bestseller since it came out. It was released this month as a movie starring Nick Nolte and Scott Mechlowicz. Both that first book and the sequel Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior are part biographical and part allegory. Millman has, since the beginning, answered questions about what parts of those two books are truth and what parts are story.

Now, here in the third book in the series, he blows that whole tradition out of the water. The story is supposed to be the life story of Socrates, Dan's mentor in the first two books.

This is an amazing story of a young man born of mixed blood in Russia. He is part Cossack and part Jewish. He is being raised at a Cossack military school after the death of both of his parents. He later learns about his Jewish blood. During the pogroms against the Jews he leaves the school to go in search of treasure his grandfather has left him.

He suffers loss., the loss of a pregnant wife to an old enemy. He vow's revenge on their grave. He studies under many martial arts masters in order to learn how to seek that revenge. He studies first with a sword master, and then with a master of all of the art's who tries to teach him to choose life, and be a master of self. For the loss of his wife who was with child. He journeys all over Asia, while studying with these teachers, then in pursuit of revenge that he has studied for years to be ready to exact. Then he eventually to the new world, in search of a long hoped for new life.

The story is great. But in this edition, Millman, in the afterward, states that he will not answer any questions about what parts of this story are true and what parts are not. The story leads us to believe that Socrates is Millman's real-life grandfather estranged from his family at birth. Millman indicates that `Socrates' started journaling the day that he was born and that sometime between Way of the Peaceful Warrior and now he received those journals from Soctares.

What is the story? What is the truth? How can he leave us, his readers, hanging like that? Because of this duplicity a reader can call into question all the good that has been taken from Millman's writings over the years.

Addendum 2008 having reread this book and skipping the Harper Collins PS. The story really is amazing and fits in with the original books better than my originally published review.

The Journeys Of Socrates: An Adventure
The Journeys Of Socrates: An Adventure by Dan Millman (Paperback - Feb. 9 2006)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36