Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

4.3 out of 5 stars1,044
Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 21-30 of 43 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on June 15, 2004
I can't claim to have finished this book. In truth, I read about the first 70 pages before putting it down in disgust. I'm a vegetarian and am concerned about the effect of fast food on our society. Unfortunately, Schlosser lost me around the time he began ranting about the problem with Colorado Springs being the fact that all the Republicans from California moved there, or the attack on the "free enterprise" values espoused in an area that owes its prosperity to military spending. What's the point of an investigation when you've obviously determined the conclusion ahead of the research? Useful material for angry students or the chattering classes' dinner parties, compromised dogma for those seeking a real analysis of the industry's effect on society. Anyone have any recommendations for those of us that prefer not to have our conclusions drawn for us?
on June 17, 2003
I purchased this book fully expecting to be convicted on my fast food habits and to be significantly turned off to ever eating it again after I finished reading. Instead, I found the book to be poorly organized and the information barely convincing. In fact,the most damning evidence was against all the suppliers of the fast food industry, the same companies who supply everyone from grocery stores to schools. In fact,he(Eric) even states several times that fast food restaurants obtain the best quality meat available, due to their massive buying volume and leverage.Further, the author himself said "Even 'Fast Food Nation' did not revolutionize my eating habits".(Organic Style,May/June 2003)I was disappointed in the book, but perhaps my expectations were too high based on all the rave reviews I heard since it came out. Mike
on May 7, 2001
.... I was simply bored. Ho hum, McDonald's and Burger King market to children in a calculated fashion. Whoopee, meat sometimes causes food poisoning. Yawn, slaughterhouse working conditions are bad. Zzzzzzz, fast food joints are staffed by underpaid teenagers who often drop food on the floor then serve it. No duh, Americans are too fat because they eat a lot of this stuff. Why not tell me something I don't already know? The author pads out the book with unnecessary anecdotes about the history of Colorado Springs, Mikhail Gorbachev, and Las Vegas, but the weirdest part was the story about e-coli bacteria in a school cafeteria! What does that have to do with fast food? Why didn't he investigate just why people go to these places, and why didn't he come up with some sort of solution? Save your money and go out for a good meal instead.
on October 18, 2001
Perhaps I misinterpreted the review I read of this work. I was expecting Schlosser to examine fast food restaurants and use their business properties, health qualities, expansion patterns, etc. as a springboard to examine and explain the American psyche. This he did in the introduction and somewhat consistently in part I, although his histories of Carl's and McDonald's drifted a bit too long. But in the more lengthy part II the book went into the same old story of: American farmers and ranchers and blue-collar workers have lost their power, lost their independence, have been turned into efficiency machines by big business. And this is spreading like some terrible disease throughout the world.
Schlosser's points are valid but they're not the reason I picked up the volume, so it became a bit of a skim-a-thon. Oh well.
on April 10, 2003
I usually never eat the fast food, especially MacDonalds because it taste no good. This book expalins not only the process of the production but behind the fast food business scene, which makes this book interesting. Schlosser did lots of reserch to create the fast food business, which made MacDonalds the king of the fast food chain. And for example he explains the secrets of his success such as why the French fris tastes so good, etc.
However he states only the bright side, and not the dark side. For me it is a little sharrow. I wish he had gone deeper.
But after all this book does not convince me to eat at MacDonalds.
on February 5, 2004
I went in expecting to read an insightful accountof how fast food has effected our nation and the world. What I got instead was a heavy handed argument against development. I can respect the opinion of the author, as it well founded, but he dismisses the possibility that eh could be wrong, even finding surprise in the fact that there are people who could be happy with suburban growth. I had to throw this book down every few minutes in disgust. Just wading through the biased and self-satisfied jargon to the end was enough to make me want a burger.
on July 5, 2002
This book would have been much better if Mr. Schlosser was not slanted one way; the left only. He failed to mention the legislation that the Democrats have passed to ruin FDA inspections. He should have reported both parties inequities or left them out. The book could have gone deeper into the improprieties of the fast food industry, instead of just scratching the surface. The book was a good read with out the political slant; It could have been excellent with leaving it out or including it all.
on April 10, 2002
Unless you're some nerd rocket scientist save your money. Book is totally boring. Only 10% of the book is worth reading. It does'nt get right to the point. Totally boring chapters about founders of McDonalds. Even goes back to cowboy days. I just wanted to hear the dirt-- you know the juicy details. You'll find yourself skipping whole chapters. Talks about dumb laws related to the meat... I love reading but this book is just too difficult and BORING. 383 Pages.
on February 16, 2001
I guess I see where this was supposed to be going, but I think we get lost someplace.
The historic and business stuff is interesting, but the belabored meat packing stuff fails to strike me as fast food-specific...I mean, wouldn't Americans eat meat even if there wasn't a McDonalds?
The premise is great, but the book gets sidetracked too often.
Much of it is truly fascinating...but the association to the core topic of fast food is weak at best.
on September 7, 2002
I thought this book would be an interesting read. Some parts are, but the rest of the book just goes on and on and on. Schlosser needed to do more editing on this book.
The book had anti-business tones sprinkled throughout and the author believes that the Fast Food Industry is responsible for peoples health problems and obeseity. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Whoever doesn't know that fast food is not very good for you is quite ignorant.