4.0 out of 5 stars No middle ground with this book....
This is an excellent book when looking for the truth about America and it's history. There are many out there that claim that this book is a lot of nonesense. They do not want to look at reality.
Published on June 17 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Too many quotes
This is a good book for obtaining a general understanding of U.S. history. It exposes many issues that were not covered in my history classes. However, I think the author relied on quotes too much, which made it difficult to read at times.
Published on Jan. 29 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars No middle ground with this book...., June 17 2004
By A Customer
This country was founded on blood, sweat and tears of amazing men and women. Men and Women who wanted to see their dreams live on, who wanted to be free from the tyranical rule of England. What they dreamed of, is not the reality of America. Our government is all about greed, arrogance and getting more. It does not care who it has to step on to get it. Not even it's own people. This book takes care to note that the America we were striving for did not come to fruition.
Jefferson, Adams, Washington all said when it comes to foreign policy stay out of it. We get right in the middle of it. We start wars with countries that just want us to leave them alone. We take money from our poor and give it to our rich. We let people become homeless and sick so that our American Corporations can make another buck by outsourcing our jobs. We do not take care of our old, our sick, and our poor. We think about me, me, me. How can I get more? How can I get better? Not how can I help out!
We ALL as a country need to come together and fix the wrongs that have been made. We need to say "No more!" No more to big business, No more to outsourcing, No more to cheap, expendable merchandize, No more to leaving our people in the street to starve and die! NO MORE!
If you think that this great country is great, you need to look again. Look at how a new world order is in the making. Look at how we're losing our middle class. Look at how we're losing our freedoms, our privacy, and our right to choose. The direction we're moving in is not the one that I want to go in, and I know if our founding fathers were alive to see this they'd be taking the next boat out to parts unknown.
We need to take responsibility for what we have done, what we continue to do, and what we need to do. We need to apologize for stealing this land. We need to apology for having Mrs. Smith's only son Johnny killed in a War we had no business being in. We need to apologize to the middle easterners and get the hell out of their (see that? THEIR) country. We need to stop spending money on surveys and studies on things no one cares about and start spending more money on Education, Medical Costs, Prescriptions, Creating Jobs for our Citizens. We need to pay attention to America and it's people. Zinn points this out every step of the way in his book.
THIS IS A MUST READ!
This is for the man from the Soviet Union - true Communism is not what you had in the Soviet Union. To say that Marx's doctrin did not pan out in the USSR would be like saying that you used Apples in a Cherry Pie and couldn't understand why it wasn't a Cherry Pie. The USSR called it Communism but it wasn't. It was more of a Dictatorship with some Capitalism thrown in (Yes, I did say Capitalism - if you don't believe me go read some more history).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth Hurts, July 24 2006
This review is from: A People's History Of The United States (Paperback)
An absolutely jaw dropping account of our history. Rather than including blacks, natives, women, immigrants, workers and the poor's history in this book, I would say that Zinn basically excludes rich white men's history. The difference is beyond dumbfounding, its terrifying.

Indeed, this book is as scary in its implications as it is in its accounts of history. When 95% of books, television, and music come from exactly the people Zinn omits from this book, the phrase that comes to mind is "propaganda is to democracy - what violence is to totalitarianism."

A great book exposing the bias, propaganda, racism, oppression and murdurous nature inherent in our system.

Read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A more honest history, Sept. 10 2009
Gerrit Boonstra "Boonie" (Garson, Manitoba, Aanada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A People's History Of The United States (Paperback)
I had always had my doubts that some of the history, as it appeared in the educational text books, was not quite as written. The U.S. is not the only country that records history in a way to always make themselves look better. The author has done an incredible job in getting past all the phony stuff to get to the heart of the matter. This book should be required reading for all Americans, for Mr. Zinn has outlined the history of the U.S., with the coming of the white men, and how that affected the native population and the Mexican nation. The book clearly shows that the U.S. committed many acts of aggression out of greed, and that, to this day, these acts of greed continue, and that young men and women (soldiers) died, and are dying still, for the rich and powerful, rather than for an idealogy. I do not believe that Mr. Zinn wrote this book to present a leftist view. I believe that he wanted to present the true history of the U.S. rather than the super clean image presented by historians writing on behalf of the U.S. Government.

4.0 out of 5 stars Biased, yet enjoyable., May 19 2007
Andrew Dagley (Brandon, Manitoba) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A People's History Of The United States (Paperback)
Like several fellow reviewers, this text was assigned to me for a university American history class. Initially I was quite taken with the text, as Howard Zinn is an excellent writer, capable of taking complex ideas and threads and binding them into coherant highly readable prose that is peppered throughout with many damning quotes.

The problem for Zinn is that his text is unabashedly biased. He makes this unflinchingly clear early on and readers will note that he takes a prolonged look at the "little guy" and those classes that are oppressed or otherwise enduring hard times - such as Native Americans, the African slaves, or other downtrodden classes. Likewise, readers will quickly note that Zinn has a pronounced socialist bent to his writing, and is remarkably hostile towards notions such as nationalism or war. That said, despite the issues I might personally take towards the authors ideas on these and other issues, Zinn does something extremely important. This is a text that will often force the reader to look at things at a way they hadn't done previously - seeing the growth of railways west through the eyes of the plains natives for example and as such, is an important piece of historiography.

Those that aren't interested in taking such a view, or just wanted a standard text on American history should look elsewhere. Zinn, while a great writer doesn't do justice to many parts of American history that other texts will most likely do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars History not taught in schools., Jan. 23 2014
This review is from: A People's History Of The United States (Paperback)
This book narrows the human condition expressed in the book, Peoples History of the World, to the history of the People of The United States. The greed and inhumanity is the same which shows we are all cut from the same cloth. Another excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Peoples History, April 5 2013
A honest account of history by a wonderful man. Highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the true origins of the american empire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge that is good to know, Jan. 2 2010
H. David Palmer "musical ear" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A People's History Of The United States (Paperback)
There are a lot of things that we do not know about America. Does this book make me dislike the country that I grew up in? Absolutely not! It makes me aware of the human failures of people in all walks of life. Hero's that were more human than hero. It makes me want to imporve the system that I live in. This is an excellent book and recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Minority History, Jan. 13 2004
By A Customer
This is a highly useful book that is easy to revile if one feels threatened by minority points of view or if one takes offense at criticism of American values or behaviors. But it's doesn't purport to be a balanced account of American history; it's history filtered through the experiences of those marginalized and brutalized in the American experiment -- our "lab animals," so to speak. Is it any wonder that not a little resentment is present in such voices?
The assertion that Zinn and those he focuses on hate the US and its brand of capitalism is a simpleminded overgeneralization at best. Zinn well understands that many of us do benefit from our system, but he wants us to look into the eyes of those who have not benefitted, whose experience the right wing wants to expunge from history books. Yet it behooves the complacent and conservative majority of Americans to listen to the minorities in our midst. Anything that increases our desire to work for justice and fairness is valuable.
This is an insightful, intensively researched book that offers all of us a crucial opportunity to question our assumptions. Yes, America-bashers will find plenty of ammunition here, but if your object is to understand the fault lines running through the American fabric, to learn from history, to avoid repreating errors, and to improve the country your love, this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A balanced view, Nov. 30 2003
I am currently working on my M.A. in Social Science education and critically reviewed this text for a class. Zinn's research is impeccable. He uses primary sources rather than simply rewording what has already been said. His language is clear and concise. I highly recomend this text for anyone interested in U.S. History or planning on teaching U.S. History. This is a great resource for homeschoolers, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revision of Official History, non-privileged elite Pap, Sept. 16 2003
Erwan K. (Crac'h, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
An excellent book , balancing the Official History written by a privileged elite Some people should read a dictionary before making any comment...
revisionist [n.]
1. A Communist who tries to rewrite Marxism to justify a retreat from the revolutionary position.
populism [n.]
1. The political doctrine that supports the rights and powers of the common people in their struggle with the privileged elite.

A People's History Of The United States
A People's History Of The United States by Howard Zinn (Paperback - July 21 2005)
CDN$ 24.99 CDN$ 15.67