4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping
This book is a terrific example of Marquez's magical realism. Moves quickly and captures your attention; don't pick this book up if you have something to do, it is very difficult to put down. I read it more than once, you see a different perspective each time!

Highly recommended!
Published on May 31 2009 by Jessica M. Cuevas

1.0 out of 5 stars 100 Years of Absolute Torture!
This book is long, dull, boring and confusing. It lacks the passion that makes Love in The Time of Cholera so beautiful. It make "Tess of the D'Urburvilles" look like a fast-paced romp. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone
Published on Aug. 7 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, May 31 2009
Jessica M. Cuevas (Montreal) - See all my reviews

Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterfully Woven Words, Dec 12 2009
Stephanie West "dreamingstevie" (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Paperback)
Gabriel weaves his words like a master. His words are like a warm blanket on a cold day. I enjoyed the literary art of this book very much but didn't enjoy the story line. The book is about numerous generations of the Buendia family; their struggles, their triumphs, their strengths, their weaknesses. There were many interpersonal struggles; between the family members as well as between the family and the society they live in. Personally, it wasn't that interesting to me at all. However, I read on because of the skill and passion in which this book is written. Gabriel Marquez sews words together as a master painter shades colours and creates dimension on a canvas.
If you enjoy true literature as well as history and human relationships, I think you would thoroughly enjoy this book. If you love literature, even if the story sounds boring (which I found it to be a bit) it is worth the read, if only to see a master in action.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exquisitely depressing, Dec 19 2003
This book should be on your list of must-read great books. It is a long and elaborate story of unrequited love, family, and loneliness. However wonderful, it is almost morbidly depressing so for your own mental health read it when you feel strong!

1.0 out of 5 stars 100 Years of Absolute Torture!, Aug. 7 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Inventive and Enjoyable Landmark in Modern Literature, Nov. 24 2007
E. Haensel (Toronto) - See all my reviews
One Hundred Years of Solitude" is a compelling if challenging read. It overflows with creativity, history, magic, and characters with the same names. Yes, there are many Jose Arcadios, even more Aurelianos and more than one Amaranta in the same family, often at the same time. But, once one makes use of the character genealogy at the beginning it is not to hard to keep track of the respective characters.

What makes 100 years such a compelling read is its incredible blending of the fantastical with realism. Marquez blends detailed accounts of absolutely impossible events with equally detailed accounts of completely plausible or historically known events with such equanimity of importance as to make them indistinguishable to the plot. And it works. Works better than anything written before or since that has had the label Magic Realism attached to it.

The reason that this novel is so successful is threefold. First, his characters are completely charismatic, as is his writing, you will find yourself with an undeniable affection for the story from the end of the first chapter on, I guarantee it. Second, the aspects of the story brushed with magic, fully half of the novel, are perfectly done, magical happenings emerging out of everyday circumstances and being reabsorbed into everyday life fluidly and seamlessly. Third, the cutting realism of the story, accurate down to the detail balances the whimsical.

A novel not to be missed, with a great ending and a wealth of well crafted circumstances written in prose that makes the heart wrenching as compelling as the beautiful, and makes the hundred year history of the Buendia family of Macondo one of the most rewarding reads available.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm....., March 17 2004
Karie Hoskins "karieh" (Puget Sound, WA USA) - See all my reviews
As I read the first third of the book, I kept having to go back to try and figure out which of the Jose's (there are MANY - half of the characters have the same name, it seems) was being discussed in each section. It was extremely frustrating - but I kept on going.
In the middle of the book I stopped trying to pay any attention to who was who and just read each anecdote as if it stood on it's own - congratulating myself when I recognized the character from previous events.
At the last - I finally started to know and care about the characters and really appreciate the beautiful images and the intense feelings and situations that make up "100 Years of Solitude". (By this time, I was also determined to finish it because my sister assured me that the ending was satisfying.)
It was satisfying - to the point that the final chapters made me flip back to the beginning of the book and read parts over again. Still, I can't give this book the rave reviews that the critics and fans of Gabriel Garcia give it - there were just too many Jose's.
I suppose that makes me a lazy reader, which is probably true. Still, the ending made me wistful that I had been half as involved with this long lived, passionate and magical family from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, timeless., Feb. 16 2012
ABC - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Paperback)
I first read this book in my early teens. At that time I was enthralled. It is a complete epic. Beautiful, with many lessons for our current times too - esp in the last lines. When I re-read the book, while the magic of my first reading is gone, the last lines still give me that ah to hmmm feeling. Since the first book that I owned I have bought it for numerous friends. It should be essential reading for all in schools. Whether you like it or not, it is a complete novel and covers so many aspects of humanity. Must read.
On another note, I especially visited Baracoa, the place that Macondo is claimed to be modelled on. Dont know if that claim is true, or whether it was my imagination, but it did feel a wee bit eerie being there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literature in its Finest Form, Aug. 31 2011
Aaron Donnelly (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Paperback)
Brilliant!! This is by far one of the best novels I have ever read. Illuminating, amusing, soulful, melancholic, adventurous, heartbreaking,and ecstatic, this books draws you into the life of the Buendia family from the first sentence and doesn't let you go until the final word. This is a work of such beauty, the prose is lyrical poetry that leaves you breathless after every sentence.

Words could never do justice to this work of absolute genius. You just have to read it for yourself to understand what everyone who has already read it already knows. That's a club you want to be a part of.

1.0 out of 5 stars Magical, mystical piece of tripe, Oct. 14 1999
By A Customer
I read (well, not really...I got to page 100 and felt like I'd read it three times already) this book over ten years ago and I still rank it as the worse piece of tripe that I ever had the misfortune to come across. But I'm biased. Like most Latins, I think the whole "magical and mysterious" cloak with which Latin literature is viewed abroad is unfortunate, but ultimately it's that kind of rubbish that sells.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, Jan. 7 2002
I will not critize this book too heavily, as apparently it is a classic and many people find it delightful. However, I found the book extremely hard to follow, and without any identifyable plot line. Yes, it is interesting to see how a city can develop over 100 years of time, but all the characters kept dying off, and I found myself not being bothered by it, as nothing made me connect with them through the book. I really just did not find the book enjoyable enough to continue past 2/3rds the way in to it .

One Hundred Years Of Solitude
One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Paperback - Feb. 9 2006)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43