4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
It is less of a manual and more of an inspirational guide with examples of writers trying to find their way to and through a subject. The style is very readable and makes the idea of writing a memoir or tackling any subject more accessible to all of us who feel we have a story to tell.
Published 10 months ago by Faiz deBeer

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was a book on style instructions, a guide ...
As noted by other reviewers, the book lacks a lot on instructions but deserves considerable merit for its illustrative content.

Published on Feb. 8 2010 by SlowCooker Uncle Ben

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was a book on style instructions, a guide ..., Feb. 8 2010
SlowCooker Uncle Ben (Eastern Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: On Writing Well 30th Anniversary Edition: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction (Paperback)

The book contains many excerpts from known and respected authors. While these examples are good and can put you in the 'write' frame of mind, I was expecting more, much more, in terms of intructionnal content and format,perhaps somethink like "Keys to Great Writing" by Stephen Wilbers.

For those of you who are looking for instructions per se, "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk and E.B. White; and "Keys to Great Writing" are much better choices,in my view.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Jan. 7 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Those Who Take Their Writings Seriously, Sept. 11 2014
Eddie Chu (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is concise and easy to use. I use the instructions in this book in everything I write. For example, the instructions teach me to review what I write and often trim down the number of words by 20% while strengthening the impact. For those who take their writings serious, I can't imagine a better tutor.

Those who take the advice seriously will increase the clarity and impact of their words.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars But after reading that I flipped back to the beginning and enjoyed the entire book, Nov. 14 2014
I bought this book for one chapter - writing about one's family. But after reading that I flipped back to the beginning and enjoyed the entire book. Zinsser expresses his thoughts clearly and his examples are entertaining. There are many books about writing, but this deserves space in your reading list and book shelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those rare books that changes you for the better after reading., Dec 16 2013
I was never really interested in language or writing. I thought of it as a utility. I picked it up because I saw it recommended by John Gruber on the dairingfireball, and man I am glad I did.

The title of the book describes it perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative Read, Aug. 12 2013
Beautiful and eloquently written by Zinsser. His descriptions are largely based on his own writings and experiences. An informative read for non fiction writers in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars needed, April 16 2013
Went on a business writing course and the instructor said this my bible and it is great used it already

5.0 out of 5 stars Zinnser on Writing Well', April 1 2013
I read this book two decades ago and was moved to keep the unnecessary words out of my writing, I've read it again and got even more fluff out of my stuff. Could have done without the extra chapters, but for the specialists it should be helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fiction or a nonfiction writer--this book has ..., Aug. 31 2014
If you're a fiction or a nonfiction writer--this book has something to offer you. Don't let it pass you by--there's a lot to learn here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylistic Guide, June 24 2010
Alexander Gluskin (Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a very useful book for a writer who pays attention to style. It follows in the steps of "Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. It also devotes several chapters to writing about specific subjects, such as sports, arts, etc. I skipped these chapters since I have no interest in their subject matter. As to the recommendations related to style, I found most of them useful, but if you follow them too rigorously, you will end up with "Jack loves Jill. Jill loves Bob. Jack kills Bob. Lieutenant Colombo tricks Jack into confessing."

CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43