summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

As noted by other reviewers, the book lacks a lot on instructions but deserves considerable merit for its illustrative content.

The book contains many excerpts from known and respected authors. While these examples are good and can put you in the 'write' frame of mind, I was expecting more, much more, in terms of intructionnal content and format,perhaps somethink like "Keys to Great Writing" by Stephen Wilbers.

For those of you who are looking for instructions per se, "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk and E.B. White; and "Keys to Great Writing" are much better choices,in my view.
on November 14, 2014
I bought this book for one chapter - writing about one's family. But after reading that I flipped back to the beginning and enjoyed the entire book. Zinsser expresses his thoughts clearly and his examples are entertaining. There are many books about writing, but this deserves space in your reading list and book shelf!
on January 7, 2014
It is less of a manual and more of an inspirational guide with examples of writers trying to find their way to and through a subject. The style is very readable and makes the idea of writing a memoir or tackling any subject more accessible to all of us who feel we have a story to tell.
on December 16, 2013
I was never really interested in language or writing. I thought of it as a utility. I picked it up because I saw it recommended by John Gruber on the dairingfireball, and man I am glad I did.

The title of the book describes it perfectly.
on April 1, 2013
I read this book two decades ago and was moved to keep the unnecessary words out of my writing, I've read it again and got even more fluff out of my stuff. Could have done without the extra chapters, but for the specialists it should be helpful.
on January 11, 2015
Zinsser leads you through his thought process in achieving simplicity, clarity and humanity while expressing your own voice, your own writing style. His dry humor makes this an enjoyable read for every aspiring non-fiction writer.
on August 12, 2013
Beautiful and eloquently written by Zinsser. His descriptions are largely based on his own writings and experiences. An informative read for non fiction writers in particular.
on December 1, 2014
Amazing read. Very inspirational. Good solid tome, full of sage advice from an experienced, accomplished writer. Lots of examples, clearly explained.
on August 7, 2015
Although this book was written well over 30 years ago now, the author's clear and concise handling of his subject make it one of the most useful writers' handbooks available today.
on March 22, 2015
Zinsser is always Terrific . This book is readable , complete, a great resource for new writers and a great reminder for the experienced.