5.0 out of 5 stars Paired with Medium Raw, it's a great story
Published 15 months ago by Patrick Lister

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as I had been led to expect...
... but darned fine.

The first half of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential had me turning pages compulsively; I stayed up half the night reading half of it.

But the next night I found myself growing tired of his "oh-I'm-so-self-deprecating but here's how such a crazy man as me dealt with it" schtick. I just wish there had been a little more...
Published on June 8 2010 by Brian Macaskill

5.0 out of 5 stars Paired with Medium Raw, it's a great story, April 23 2013
Patrick Lister (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (Paperback)
I read Kitchen Confidential a few years ago and recently re-read it just prior to reading Medium Raw. These two books paint a great picture of Anthony's life and the journey he has taken - I have both read and listened to them and I find the audio book wayyyyyy better - to hear him tell the story, I couldn't stop listening. Hilarious, great entertainment- all foodies and self-procliamed food nerds must read- though, I am sure you already have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, June 7 2014
This review is from: Kitchen Confidential (Paperback)
I know it's been out for a long time but I never got around to reading it. I'm sorry I waited, straightforward, honest and clever. I can see why the man became a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy with this book, May 19 2014
Great book. Funny and educational. Will read it again. Written with such sarcastic ype of humour. Will buy other of Mr. Boudain's books.

Denise

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, Feb. 20 2014
Very funny and interesting read. I always love autobiographies where you can learn something--in this case the life of a chef.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bourdain is a star!, Jan. 4 2014
The altruistic poet-chef regales me with his wonderful tales of delight dans la cuisine. An enjoyable and hilarious read from cover to cover, Anthony Bourdain is a delightful and sardonic bad-boy chef mechant. He could write the phone book and make it interesting.
I want more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unvarnished account of the life of a chef, Sept. 25 2013
Peter Weltman (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be well written, very entertaining and a very informative account of his motivation to become a chef, and of the day to day life of a professional chef.

5.0 out of 5 stars ahhhh Tony, Sept. 13 2013
I am a classically trained chef myself and having read the book and nodding, laughing and reliving the anecdotes in my head, minus the hard drug use it could have been my life in the book... listening to the book in Tony's voice makes it more poignant. Cook Free or Die!

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, Jan. 9 2013
I love watching Bourdain's show. This book was a hilarious read, showcasing the behind the scenes world of 70's and 80's kitchens across new york. Bourdain has an easy to read style and you will laughing out loud throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The darker side of being a gifted Chef., Nov. 24 2012
The book was riotously funny! It did,however, have some dark undertones which I found somewhat disturbing. Bourdain is indeed a gifted writer in addition to being a great Chef. I read this book from cover to cover and plan on re-reading it in the future. Anyone considering a career in the kitchen, particularly if you live in New York City, should consider reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for aspiring chefs or former ones., May 19 2012
The book is just what it is, an insider's look at kitchen's and the people behind the food.

I was reading chapter after chapter saying to myself, "Yes, that really happens, it happened in a place I worked at!"

Anyone who wants to know the "real deal" in kitchens should read before venturing forth. Cooking is rewarding and brutal at the best of times. I watch his shows as well and glad he has kicked through the glass door. Its great for a few laughs for sure.

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain (Paperback - Jan. 1 2007)
CDN$ 17.33