march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Introducing Kindle Oasis Furniture Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 22, 2003
As a Greek-American who learned how to cook by watching her mother and grandmother lovingly prepare all sorts of traditional Greek dishes in the comfort of our "kouzina", I've always been a bit skeptical about using Greek cookbooks since the recipes either never turn out or just taste a lot different than what I am used to. This cookbook, however, changed my mind as I have found most of the dishes to be delicious successes that are faithful to traditional tastes. This should come as no surprise, of course, since the book was compiled by real Greeks (most of whom are moms and yiayias no doubt) whose families have probably handed down and improved upon those recipes generation after generation. Overall, most work out well and are fairly basic Greek dishes (I've only had trouble with one or two) and are perfect for either everyday family meals or for guests. Well done St. Paul's!
on April 24, 2003
My friend had this cookbook and I had to have it. It has a great section on working with phylo dough. It has some recipes I've never seen in any other cookbooks. Everything I've made using these recipes has turned out great. Mostly the ingredients and items you can find any grocery store, some of the cheeses are a little bit more difficult to find. The directions are easy.
I highly suggest this cookbook to anyone who enjoys Greek cooking.
enjoy
on March 7, 2001
One of the characteristics of Greek cooks is they don't use written recipes and they almost never measure things out. "Just put a handful of this and pinch of that" is all the direction you will ever get from them. If you have suffered culinary disasters cooking with the above method, this book is for you. What I really love about this cookbook is that great care was taken to provide accurate measurements and directions. I would highly recommend this book for the beginner or anyone who loves to cook. You won't be disappaointed. And be sure to try the Stefado!
on March 22, 2001
If this is an updated version of the book my mother used, I am ecstatic. I have been searching for one for years. In my family it is considered the "bible" of cookbooks. My mother used no other. My brother and I fought for possession of it when she passed away. It has been passed back and forth between us for holiday recipes, guidance, etc. Now we can each have our new one. I will always keep my mother's original (she referenced everything with a turned down page), but it will be nice not to have to worry about losing a leaf anymore. Thank you
on July 10, 1999
Married to a native of Greece for 26 years I have used many different Greek cookbooks and this is the best and most authentic I have found. This book was written by everyday cooks, not gourmets, the recipes are easy to follow and there is a section that tells how to work with phyllo, clean squid and other hints. There are recipes from many different regions and interesting little bits of history and information scattered throughout.
on February 12, 2011
This book is exactly what most of the reviewers have said. It is Greek-style home cooking. I would recommend this book to anyone who isn't into trying too hard, just those who want traditional Greek fare. If you're thinking about buying this book.....do it!
on February 26, 2004
I am from a Nordic background, but my Greek and thin husband likes some Greek food. This book explains the traditions and has excellent recipes that he loves. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants traditional Greek food.
on February 3, 1999
I WAS SO HAPPY TO FIND THIS BOOK. IT CONTAINS A RECIPE FOR A DISH I ONCE HAD ON VACATION. THE RECIPES I'VE PREPARED, SO FAR, HAVE BEEN VERY WELL RECEIVED AT DINNER PARTIES. A GREAT COLLECTION OF TRADITIONAL GREEK RECIPES.
on December 9, 2001
The recipes and narrative description of preparation are much better than I had anticipated. I love reading it over and over. The varied and distinct tastes are a love for the discriminating diner.
on August 28, 2015