4.0 out of 5 stars St. Francis is the Real Star of this Book
Wayne Dyer does his usual fine job of explaining how to live a more spiritual life, but the real "star" and strength of this book is the famous prayer of St. Francis.
Read the prayer first (it's in the book); it'll pull you along through the pages, and it certainly provides a model for spiritual living.
Comforting reading.
Reviewer: Linda...
Published on Feb. 7 2004 by Linda Painchaud-Steinman

2.0 out of 5 stars Premise is Good, But....
Published on May 4 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Premise is Good, But...., May 4 2004
By A Customer
I love Wayne Dyer books and have read many of them. But, this book just didn't do it for me. I love the premise of the book where he promotes positive thinking, higher energy levels, and not giving your energy to negative thoughts, since what you give out will come back to you. However, I had difficulty with 3 areas of the book: 1) Evil doesn't exist 2) The fact that Dyer never addresses the concept of free will, and 3) Illness is due to erroneous thinking.
First, evil does exist and we see it every day...it's all around us. Denying it's existance is like sticking your head in the sand. Dyer says that evil cannot exist, since God created all things, and God is good, so why would a good God create evil? Well, I think the answer lies in free-will, which brings me to my second point. Although God is good, he also gave us free-will, which means that we are able to choose the path of God (good positive, energy) or something opposite of God, which would be evil. Dyer never addresses free-will in this book even though he continually quotes the bible and other spiritual/religious writings that do in fact address the concept of free-will in depth. How he can quote so many things from these books and yet deny the existance of free-will is beyond me.
Finally, Dyer states that illness stems from erroneous thinking. While I do believe that many illness are brought on by negative thinking and stress (I do believe there is a mind/body connection), if you follow Dyer's theory on this than how is it that infants can get ill? Is an infant capable of thinking erroneously when he/she cannot even take care of him/herself? Dyer lightly brushes the surface of the issue regarding children and illnesses, but then totally dismisses the issue and moves on to the next topic without giving us a reason or answer. This proves to me that either Dyer is underminding the intelligence of the reader or doesn't know himself so he dismisses the issue.
Finally, I do think that many things bad happen in our lives for a purpose, and that purpose is for our souls to grow and learn. Maybe this is why we get ill and the very reason why we have free-will. I have known a few people who were very positive about a terminal illness...did the whole imagery and positive visualization thing, and yet still passed away from their illness. Were these people just not thinking positively enough?? Instead, I believe their deaths were for a reason. Either for their soul to learn or for the souls of others to learn.
Finally, there are many parts of this book that I enjoyed and will put into practice. I do like the whole concept of higher and lower energy frequencies. This concept did rang true with me. And, I do believe that what you give out in this world comes back to you. So, if you give out positive energy and thoughts, positive things will come back to you in some shape or form. In addition, I also do like the way he puts St. Francis's prayer into practice. It's always been one of my favorite prayers and the way that Dyer brings the prayer into real life scenarios is very uplifting.
Overall, this book is good, but has a lot of holes in it, which left me with a lot of questions. I will continue to be a fan of Dyer, but I do think that some of his other books are more practical and even more spiritually uplifting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dyer Astray, July 5 2003
I have read many of Dr. Dyer's books and have benefited by applying them to my life. You can trace a line of development from his early works (Your Erroneous Zones and Pulling Your Own Strings) to his more spiritual works (You'll See It When You Believe It, Real Magic and Your Sacred Self). After Your Sacred Self, he kind of lost me. In this book and the Power of Intention, he rambles on about "high energy" and "low energy" without being clear about what he means. Whereas in the previous books he offered specific prescriptions, these books do not. I am sad to report that, although I read it with high hopes, I got little benefit out of this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very shallow pop philosophy, Aug. 27 2003
By A Customer
I tried very hard to like this book but was quickly turned off by Dr. Dyer's protrayal of "low level" and "high level" frequencies that supposedly mirror different qualitative levels of thought. From these essentially unsupported constructs, he provides advice for living as if the entire structure is an a priori given. The commentary is very shallow bordering upon new age pop psychology. I found very little depth in the first one hundred and twenty pages and finally gave up on the book. If you are interested in something much more substantial and helpful, study more well thought out Zen or Buddhist texts that provide much more substance but do a much better job of conveying the ideas that I believe Dr. Dyer is trying to share.

4.0 out of 5 stars St. Francis is the Real Star of this Book, Feb. 7 2004
This review is from: There's A Spiritual Solution To Every Problem (Paperback)
Comforting reading.
Reviewer: Linda Painchaud
Reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Dyer's magical advice for a beautiful life, May 31 2003
Zen (sherman oaks, ca United States) - See all my reviews
You can get some good pointers into spirituality from Dr. Wayne Dyers book.
One great thing is he makes spirituality accessable to many with his books.
He has a nice balance of inspiration and a combination of deep spiritual wisdom from many masters (Nisargadatta Mahraj, Mother Teresa, Ramana Maharshi, Saint Teresa of Avila, Patanjali, Saint Francis of Assisi to name just a few). He combines his sources and his own perspective and creates a very readable, easy access book with a lot of information.
One thing I might advise to readers is to not just turn this into another positive thinking book. To get down to the source of what Wayne is teaching, it is important to really practice communing deeply with God and coming from that level of consciousness NOT only focusing on the positive thinking part (which is a nice start). That I feel is key here, the level of Self realization you bring to it. Otherwise, it's just a pop positive thinking book-with is not Wayne's message here.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wise man writes a wise book, March 12 2003
D. Lim (San Jose, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
Wayne Dyer has written a gem. This book is especially recommended for people who are somewhat dissatisfied with their current living situation. Let it be weight, health, social situations, financial, or whatever. Like the bible says, the sick need a doctor. I have had a negative perception toward the majority of people for the bulk of my 31 years of existence. I had always wondered, "is this the best there is?" What this book teaches the reader is that all problems that you have are merely perceptions. What we think about the situation reflects on how our situation really works out to.
There are many important lessons one can learn from reading this book. Perhaps the most important idea the book manifests is how people should become an instrument of peace. We come across many situations in life where we are able to choose between a peaceful resolve or a negative one. Too often we choose the negative one.
Read this book with an open mind. I doubt you will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book by Dr. Dyer - Highly Recommended., Aug. 28 2002
By A Customer
I really wasn't a fan of Dr. Wayne Dyer until I read this book and used his Meditation tape-Meditation for Manifesting.In There Is A Spiritual Solution For Every Problem, Dr. Dyer starts off by telling us that the number 1 thing to do in order to reach spiritual consciouness is to let the past go. Further, Dr. Dyer says to embrace the past and then get rid of it.Then Dr. Dyer goes on to explain the need for surrender in order to get closer to God. He says that most of our problems stem from the belief in two powers: Good vs. evil. There is only one power in the universe, and the only problem you have is the belief that you are separate from God.Dr. Dyer then teaches that emptying your mind through meditation (surrender) is the only way you can really come to know God.Then Dr. Dyer describes how to move to the higher frequencies (where one can be closest to God) He says that you must eliminate fear, shame, guilt (lowest frequencies) to joy, love and peace (highest frequencies) to be healed and have our problems solved.Finally, Dr. Dyer reiterates the teachings of St Francis and the benefits of thinking loving, positive thoughts, for this is how we become empowered. Here the focus is on applying love, where there is hate, light where there is darkness, and so on. Dr. Dyer suggests that by concentrating on power vs. force, we can earn respect, learn valuable life lessons, and move into a higher frequency.Those who are familiar with Dr. Dyers earlier works, like Erroneous Zones and Pulling Your Own Strings may not like this. I see this book along with Your Sacred Self as a positive move for Dr. Dyer. I also highly suggest the tape-Meditations For Manifesting for dramatic and rapid changes.Dr. Dyer, great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book by Dr. Dyer - Highly Recommended., Aug. 28 2002
By A Customer
I really wasn't a fan of Dr. Wayne Dyer until I read this book and used his Meditation tape-Meditation for Manifesting.In There Is A Siritual Solution For Every Problem, Dr. Dyer starts off by telling us that the numer 1 thing to do in order t reach spiritual consciouness is to let the past go. Further, Dr. Dyer says to embrace the past and then get rid of it.Then Dr. Dyer goes on to explain the need for surrender in order to get closer to God. He says that most of our problems stem from the belief in two powers: Good vs. evil. There is only one power in the universe, and the only problem you have is the belief that you are separate from God.Dr. Dyer then teaches that emptying your mind through meditation (surrender) is the only way you can really come to know God.Then Dr. Dyer describes how to move to the higher frequencies (where one can be closest to God) He says that you must eliminate fear, shame, guilt (lowest frequencies) to joy, love and peace (highest frequencies) to be healed and have our problems solved.Finally, Dr. Dyer reiterates the teachings of St Francis and the benefits of thinking, loving, positive thoughts, for this is how we become empowered. Here the focus is on applying love, where there is hate, light where there is darkness, and so on. Dr. Dyer suggests that by concentrating on power vs. force, we can earn respect, learn valuable life lessons, and move into a higher frequency.Those who are familiar with Dr. Dyers earlier works, like Erroneous Zones and Pulling Your Own Strings may not like this. I see this book alog with Your Sacred Self as a positive move for Dr. Dyer. I also highly suggest the tape-Meditations For Manifesting for dramatic and rapid changes.Dr. Dyer, great book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Confuses Emotions With The Soul, Aug. 25 2002
With a title like "There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem," I wanted to agree with Wayne Dyer. I don't. While the title is true in and of itself, the application found here is not. He contradicts and misapplies Catholic theology, and his books loses its value.
Confusing feeling good about oneself with spiritual wholeness, we are treated to a misdirection of what it takes to find inner peace and a successful life.
Though favoring heavily St. Francis' teaching, Wayne Dyer seems to be missing what Francis' was talking about.
"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace" is the oft-quoted phrase of Francis, but Dyer isn't directing his allegiance to the Lord like the famous Catholic was. We are told to find our allegiance and god is inner peace, not the Lord of St. Francis. Committed Christians and Catholics are probably offended by this book.
In the same all-gods-are-one god flavor of the month ideology as Caroline Myss, Dyer's book loses its credibility by having nothing certain to assert. Instead, his book comes across as positive sounding as Norman Vincent Peale, but without the foundation beneath it.
Strip away the self-promotional tone and garbled pop-theology, and "There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem" is just another positive thinking book.
Thinking objectively about problems is key. Any leadership book by authors from Carnegie to Maxwell will tell you that. And, not being emotionally taken in by failure is also important. That's why you are better off reading Maxwell or Carnegie. They say it better, with a better understanding of the pulse of problem resolution.
Anthony Trendl

4.0 out of 5 stars An Appetizer without the Main Course, June 21 2002
Duane Angell (Denver, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
Wayne Dyer has compiled in this book several concepts which are of immense value to anyone who seeks the confidence, power, and fulfillment that comes with spiritual maturity.
Part One of the book contains Dyer's interpretation of other peoples work. I found this valuable because I did not know about these other people.
But I found myself thinking that Dyer had done a mediocre job of interpreting their work.
Chapter 6 contains some very useful advice which, once again, draws from a number of other authors. If you read only one chapter in this book, this is the one to read.
In Part Two, Dyer attempts to show practical ways to implement the prayer of Saint Francis and provides anecdotal evidence to show that these methods are effective. I found this valuable because it had never occurred to me to put The prayer of St. Francis into practice. It had been a source of inspiration, but I never thought of it as an action plan. Since it so obviously IS an action plan, I'm wondering now how I could have missed that.
Although Dyer's efforts to implement the prayer are well worth reading, I suspect that the average person could do much better for himself/herself by contemplating their own plan for implementing the prayer of St. Francis.
Throughout the book, I often got the impression that Dyer has only a superficial understanding of some of the concepts he attempts to convey here. And I occasionally found some of his ideas foolish, naïve, and even foolhardy. The incident where he believes he disbursed a kegger party by sending love to the revellers is an example of questionable judgement.
Nonetheless, I think just about anybody would benefit from studying this book.

There's A Spiritual Solution To Every Problem
There's A Spiritual Solution To Every Problem by Wayne Dyer (Paperback - Aug. 7 2003)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available