‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious way to lower your cholesterol and live longer!, July 29 2003
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
I lowered my cholesterol by almost 30 points in just one month by following the dietary guidelines set forth in this informative book! This book is well-written, using scientific data to back up its claims. Plus the recipes are easy to make, using easy-to-find ingredients, and are delicious as well! This book has completely transformed my eating habits for the better - I feel better, am healthier, and even enjoy cooking (something that has always been such a chore in the past). Thank you, Ms. Simopoulos!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my diet, April 21 2003
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
This is probably the best book I've ever read. It's not as much about dieting as it is about changing your eating style. I already had a decent understanding of the importance of omega-3 fatty acids/unsaturated (poly and mono) fats in our diet, but this book really broke it down well. I was so amazed to learn how beneficial it is for us to eat omega-3 based foods like fish oils or fatty fishes (e.g., salmon) flax, canola oil, and olive oil, and how fat is good, except saturated fat and trans fatty acids. Also, good carbs like veggies and fruit are a must, but bad carbs like white rice, white bread, and pasta should be avoid if possible. I have lost 15 pounds already and I feel healthy, energized, my blood pressure and cholesterol are perfect. What's really wonderful about this book is it cites all of the scientific studies to support the theory that the American diet is totally wrong and a diet higher in fat intake and lower in starches is the way to go. I looked up many of these studies on the PubMed database... These studies are on point.

5.0 out of 5 stars We only have one body, lets give it the best fuel- Omega 3, Jan. 6 2003
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
Very pleased with the information and the way it is layed out. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand the info either. The Essential oils are essential, as your body does not produce them, we must get them in by digestion. Flaxseed (Linseed),Olive oil, Canola oil (Rapseed), walnuts, and fish (salmon,and fresh tuna),you can also get them in by gel caplets. Ratio 1:1 Omega6 to Omega 3. There are also recipes with amounts of the needed ingredients and instructions. After the recipes, is a breakdown of the ingredients needed per recipe for ease of shopping, as we are a very busy people. If you have a Palmpilot you could enter in the shopping list so that you will have the info at hand for the grocery store. Also references of where to order some of these items. It is up to us to make the changes. The book provides us a much needed education. We must apply.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful recipe book and menu section!, Sept. 3 2002
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
My family is eating Omega-3 fatty acid rich foods now! It's been one year since we read this book. We have less intestinal upset and less diarrhea. The recipes are delicious and I learned so much about "good fat" and why our bodies need it. We have come to look forward to nights when our dinners will be something from the recipes pages of this book. It really has enhanced our eating as well as our health. I recommend it to everyone I know.... as I do eating walnuts & salmon now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for everyone!!, Aug. 25 2002
Irene Grimes (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
Well written, well organized - finally a nutrition book treats us all like normal people! Written for the average person, with the average life it is easy to understand and even easier to follow. It encompasses everything I have always wanted in such a book: The information upfront, examples to follow, and it even contains the recipies, nutritional information and the shopping list for each example!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Info!, June 19 2002
Jo King (Eustace, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
Great volume of knowledge and detail. My elderly parents are already showing signs of much-improved health. Mother (a diabetic) has dramatically decreased her blood sugar readings. The whole family is very grateful for this life-extending program!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT information but not really a diet., June 13 2002
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book to add to your library on health. I just wish it would have been called The Omega Health Connection or something without diet in it. The information could help save your life and every bit of advice this dr. makes about Omega fatty acids, olive oil, nuts, meat, eggs, veggi's, fruits, legumes, and whole grains is very practical. I just hope that people will not take this as another diet or quick fix to help them look like a model. And really no "DIET" will ever work until you give up the diet mentality and start eating to live, not living to eat. I suggest everyone who has a weight problem read Diets Don't Work and use the good nutrition advice in the omega connection to provide healthy fuel to keep your body running soundly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way of eating out there., June 11 2002
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
I bought this book 9 months ago because it was recomended by my naturopathic doctor. I am not obese but have alot of digestive problems and high cholesterol for being a 28 year old female. Even though I have food allergies I can easily follow this plan. I tried Atkins but come on, Who can eat that much meat. And since I only buy organic free range stuff I can't afford to eat it all of the time. I also tried the 40/30/30 stuff but that is too complicated and they reccomend using alot of milk whey powder to make smoothies, well I'm allergic to dairy. I also tried food combining where you start the day with fruit and eat nothing before noon, but alas my hypoglycemia would not allow that and dizziness an hour after eating all that fruit would turn me into a cranky monster. So what I am trying to say is this is the most practical way of eating you can do. Whether you are Asian, Hispanic or any other race, you can adjust this type of eating to your food tastes. And if you have wheat, dairy or any other allergies like me you can simply eliminate those foods because you are not limited in what you can eat. There are so many grains, fruits, veggis, and protiens to choose from that the world is your oyster. And cooking with olive and canola oil is simple, delicious and inexpensive. I buy canned genoa tuna that is packed in olive oil and high in omege 3's and only 2.50 a can. Very good tuna. Sometimes I eat sardines packed in mustard and I take flax oil everyday. These are good options if you cant afford 10.00 a pound fish all of the time. I also give my 2 year old omega eggs and flax waffles, he loves them. Take it from someone who has tried it all, This is the best!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Most informative book i've ever read!, June 7 2002
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
My husband went to his doctor and found out that he was very high risk cholesterol range and had low good cholesterol. The doctor recommended this book as well as the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook and when my husband went in for a followup appointment, his cholesterol had dropped by 100 points! And raised his good cholesterol. This is everything you want to know about Omega fatty acids that's easy to understand and followed-up with graphs and other visuals and a small summary at the end of the chapter highlighting all the important points you've just read. A very good format for learning and retaining the information. I had tried to learn as much as I could from the internet about Omega fatty acids, but this book was by far the most informative and was all in one place. I still didn't learn half as much from the web as I did from this book. I have also noticed dramatic improvements in my daughter who has severe adhd. I feel empowered now that I am armed with knowledge about what really is acceptable to eat...which also happens to be flavorful. My only one criticism is that the recipes in the back of the book are in a terrible format for the clueless in the kitchen (like me). Each recipe gives you the list of ingredients...and that's it. No instructions! I am an instructions person and not a talented cook so I found that very disappointing. Why would you list vanilla, flour,nutmeg, etc and that's it? Not even an amount? Despite expecting the reader to be an intuitive chef with the recipes (a whole lot of guessing how much to throw into the bowl), the book's real value lies in it's complete source of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, May 14 2002
This review is from: Omega Diet (Paperback)
I've read nearly all the popular health diet books out there and have come away from The Omega Diet with new information: That if you feed chickens an omega 3 rich diet, you'll get omea 3 rich eggs. Good to know there is a source other than fatty fish and flaxseeds, especially for children.
Again we are advised to avoid margarine and hydroginated oil. Stick with olive and canola when cooking and in salad dressing.
I also suggest reading The Liver Cleansing Diet and Dr. Atkin's Age Defying Diet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Omega Diet
Omega Diet by Artemis P Simopoulos (Paperback - Jan. 21 1999)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36