5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Canada II
To the chap from Canada I say: It is you, squire, who have a limited understanding of history; the clear attitude of a soi disant polymath; an insufferable penchant for literary flatulence; and a tragically closed mind.
Published on July 20 2002 by Vivamus

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, but take it with a grain of salt.
Marr's has said before that
Marr's has said that "Unless it was an act of God, it was a conspiracy". With that concept in mind, he penned this book. Marr's starts with recent history and works his way back through time trying to uncover what might have been conspiracies, some times begin, but other times sinister.
Jim Marr's book is a very...
Published on Nov. 17 2001 by Mike B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Canada II, July 20 2002
Vivamus (Laguna Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rule By Secrecy: Hidden History That Connects the Trilateral Commission, the Freemasons, and the Great Pyramids, The (Paperback)
To other serious readers and researchers: PLEASE read this book; arrive at your own conclusions. You owe it to yourself (if not to those whom you may influence.) It is well- researched and -written, and much of the substance presented therein, readily verifiable. It is a splendid book -- arguably the best on the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Beginning, Inexplicable Conclusion, June 10 2004
Kari L. Black "neurophoenix" (Keswick, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is truly brilliant over its first three sections. One might say that it views the history of western civilization through a lens that most of us would rather avoid. That lens is the notion that we are not really free, but are being manipulated by powerful individuals who only have their own best interests at heart. It is very disconcerting to contemplate the possibility that the work we do, the living we make, benefits the power elite more than it will ever benefit us. Moreover, the idea that the living we make, or try to make, actually makes us more subservient to the power elite, would sound like insane paranoia to most people. This is an idea that the vast majority of the middle and working class would never, ever entertain, much less seriously consider. Marrs suggests that such ideas are probably true. In the first three sections he articulates the methods and motives of those that own the political and economic engines that power western civilization. Is Homo Sapiens essentially a pack animal that naturally organizes itself into social pecking orders; and does this pack animal mentality make it almost impossible for most of us to seriously question and defy authority? Can we accept the description of political power that Jim Marrs offers in this book? If you don't seriously believe that such control of the masses is possible you will never be convinced by any argument. Marrs goes beyond mere paranoid conspiracy by describing in great detail the history of political control in western civilization.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Beginning, Inexplicable Conclusion, May 27 2004
Kari L. Black "neurophoenix" (Keswick, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is truly brilliant over its first three sections. One might say that it views the history of western civilization through a lens that most of us would rather avoid. That lens is the notion that we are not really free, but are being manipulated by powerful individuals who only have their own best interests at heart. It is very disconcerting to contemplate the possibility that the work we do, the living we make, benefits the power elite more than it will ever benefit us. Moreover, the idea that the living we make, or try to make, actually makes us more subservient to the power elite, would sound like insane paranoia to most people. This is an idea that the vast majority of the middle and working class would never, ever entertain, much less seriously consider. Marrs argues that such ideas are probably true. In the first three sections he articulates the methods and motives of those that own the political and economic engines that power western civilization. If you think that Homo Sapiens is essentially a pack animal that naturally organizes itself into social pecking orders; and that this pack animal mentality makes it almost impossible for most of us to seriously question and defy authority; then you can accept the description of political power that Jim Marrs offers in this book. If you don't seriously believe that such control of the masses is possible you will never be convinced by any argument. Marrs goes beyond mere paranoid conspiracy by describing in great detail the history of political control in western civilization. If the book stopped after section three it would be a brilliant piece of alternative history. Unfortunately, Marrs inexplicably enters Chariots of the Gods territory to find an origin for the control of human societies by the power elite. He suggests that Sitchen's interpretation of Sumerian creation myths is the most "compelling" explanation for the origin of homo sapiens as well as the origin of the secret societies that currently control the shape and purpose of our society. In a few dozen pages he destroys the credibility of an argument meticulously constructed in the first three hundred or so pages. Why? Perhaps he just didn't know when to stop. It almost seems that the last section of the book is purposefully meant to undermine what preceded it. There is simply no need to extend the "rule by secrecy" argument into aliens-genetically-manipulated-us territory. Why, Jim, why? I can accept the possiblity that humans have developed highly advanced cultures in prehistoric times, since our species has existed with the same capacity for languistic and intellectual expression for tens of thousands of years. I can believe that we have risen to great technical and philosophical heights many, many times only to destroy ourselves. There is no need to bring ET into the equation. We can be as brilliant, stupid, wonderful and ugly as we need to be to create and ruin our societies, and rise from our own ashes time and time again. The hidden history of human evolution and cultural expression is probably fascinating enough without having to turn it into bad science fiction. Having said that, I highly recommend Rule By Secrecy to anyone that wants to understand who runs the show we call western civilization, how they do it, and why. Come to your own conclusions about the last section; but don't let it sour you on the brilliance of the text that precedes it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rule by Secrecy - Great book!, Oct. 24 2010
Ace Rimmer (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a well written book that ties together all the loose threads of "conspiracy theory" and makes sense of it all. It is well-documented and orderly in presentation, not unsubstantiated rantings. If you want to know what really makes the world go round, or comprehend why we see so much trouble where there should be peace and prosperity then this is a good primer to start with. It's the back story for Planet Earth circa n-o-w.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marrs does it again, in black, white and 'Grey'..., May 26 2004
Jim Marrs brings his usual insight to this book, more than any other one the easiest to understand of all of the "Total Truth" books (volumes that aren't just focused on one area, persay). He begins with a basic panoramic view of the world today, and then he brings us, one backstep at a time, throughout history, explaining Wars, Revolutions, myths, (I learned about the origins of the sinister connotations of Friday The 13th here before I read The Da Vinci Code) and, of course, Secret Societies and their hidden agendas. It is all here, probably as well researched as any of this information can be, for you to decide for yourself. The Icke-ish Reptillian theory maybe the hardest for people to buy, but, as one reviewer somewhere pointed out, if we can evolve from Monkeys, why not another animal? And if you have trouble believing huge Reptiles once ruled the earth, go talk to a Palentologist. Four Stars instead of Five because the Civil War chapter doesn't build a strong enough case for the possibility Rothschild influence. Definite must read, great place to start for Hidden Agendas

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read for the entire population of America., March 29 2004
By A Customer
It may be true that there are other books out there by William Bramley, David Icke, and others that cover some of the same material that Mr. Marrs covers in this book but that isn't the whole story. Anyone that writes that you should save your money on this one has to make you think. I mean, I bought this book just because of the negative reviews I read to see if I would agree. After finishing the entire book I have to say this is a must read for the entire population of America.
It seems to me that anyone saying it is just another boogie man story is either in denial or is following an agenda to keep this secret. It is a book of the facts that are out there for anyone to see. On some issues I simply couldn't believe the information I read so I searched out and found the book "Secrets of the Federal Reserve" by Eustace Mullins at my local library to confirm this authors claims.
Several more times I found information I simply could not bring myself to believe and each time I found that Mr. Marrs is correct. There is no gray area here. Its black and white. Yes, Mr. Marrs quotes some of the more controversial authors, and yes, he shares his own views at times, but for the most part the entire book is a book of objective information interpretted just the way I would interpret it myself had I been the one who researched it. If you are the type that just can't let go of your own little paradigm of the Universe don't buy this book. It will shake you up.
I have read books like this before but this is the best of the best to come out on this topic that I've seen. If you really think that our Presidents are elected and you think you have a pretty good bead on things you will be rudely awakened to the fact that they are selected, not elected after reading all of this information. You will realize as I did that the Mass Media is joined at the hip with the secret societies and Governments of the world. We've been deceived and the truth is starting to break the damn of secrecy down. Let us all hope that by the time the damn breaks it isn't too late.
There is a boogie man alright, several families of them in fact, and they laugh at the citizens of the United States and the world all the way to the bank everyday. Read this book before it gets banned. It will rock your world.
If you like conspiracy books Here are a few. Having read the TOP books in the Government Cover-up Genre; "Unconventional Flying Objects" (NASA UFO Investigator for 30 years) by the scientist Dr. Paul Hill; my FAVORITE is "Alien Rapture" by Brad Steiger and Edgar Fouche (Top Secret Black Programs Insider) - (Great fiction-soon to be a movie); "Alien Agenda" by the best selling author of 'Crossfire' Jim Marrs (Best reference on UFOlogy); and "The Day After Roswell," by Colonel Corso - I'd say these books are a MUST READ also!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading if you are a Truth-Seeker, Feb. 8 2004
Richard J. Brzostek (New England, USA) - See all my reviews
"Rule by Secrecy," by Jim Marrs, is for truth-seekers. As the introduction to the book says, if you are satisfied with believing what you know, this book is not for you. I believe that if you are interested in taking a few steps closer to the truth, then you will enjoy this book.
The book is large (over 400 pages) and covers so much information that it is like reading 2 or 3 books in one. The author takes a lot of conspiracy theory literature and sums it up in a way that is a great introduction to the subject for those who have not read much on the topic.
"Rule by Secrecy" covers various secret political organizations, Freemasons, banking, and how these groups dramatically influence our world. The common thread of these groups is woven together and traced back to ancient Egypt and Sumer. The amount of material is quite lengthy, and you are in for a great review of many topics and issues.
I found most of the criticism this book received was distorting what was said in the book and purely pro-establishment typical rhetoric (viz., what they want you to believe). But one would expect this as "Rule by Secrecy" exposes such seedy public manipulation that, if known, would cause mass public outcry. This is not to say some of the criticism of the book is totally off-base. For instance, although the book has a "sources" section in the back, some of the quotes and references I looked for in the "sources" section were not there.
If you are a "truth-seeker," Jim Marrs' book "Rule by Secrecy" is probably worth reading. As the book quotes and mentions many other books and authors, it will serve as a good starting place for a deeper look into these issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would have been more enjoyable if....., Dec 11 2003
Would have been more enjoyable if Marrs stuck to current era conspiracy theories and left the "God was an Astronaut" ramblings out of this book. Then again, he did write Alien Agenda, didn't he? This book is chronogically ordered. We have Mr Marrs starting off with the US Presidential Elections of 2000 (so the book is pre-9/11) and going back in time. He stops at significant events along the way and gives commentaries on these events (e.g the Clinton Presidency and his theory that the Bilderbergers put him into office - is there a need to vote any more?).
About 75% of the book concerns Marrs' tireless attempts - sometimes with conviction - to connect almost every major institution in the world from the Catholic Church to the Fed, to the IFR to the UN. Of course, as with perhaps every conspiracy theory book I have ever read, Marrs also does some obligatory finger-pointing at the Freemasons, the Illiminati, and their respective associate organisations.
Marrs does not seems to like bankers or financiers either. The entire cast of the Rothschilds, investment banks like JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, etc are all painted with the same brush - they're all part of the global consipracy...to bring back the British Empire!!! ROTFL!!!
If he has stopped there, I would have said Rule by Secrecy was a pretty good book. But Mr Marrs went on to talk about aliens visiting earth during the Mesopotamian period. And we're not talking about the aliens running across the border to look for jobs here! But given that he also wrote Alien Agenda (which I can't say I've had the time to read yet)....perhaps I am being too harsh on him.
My conclusion: I read the book whole holidaying somewhere in the South Pacific. As a holiday book, I would say it was a pretty fair read. Otherwise maybe you prefer comics instead?

1.0 out of 5 stars Jim Marrs, anti-historian, anti-scientific, Dec 5 2003
Vincent Sauve (Oakland CA) - See all my reviews
That he isn't a historian is clear to me. He is also anti-science. Here's one example that should be sufficient to show what a weak mind for science he has. On page 381 he continued to refer to a Sumerian Creation Epic as if it is based on a real possibility. "a most plausible explanation for the present composition of our solar system." --he writes. He mixes present geological and astronomical facts with these supposed Sumerian stories and tries to weave this stuff together so as to make the Sumerian stories more credible (kind of like what he does with his other history stories). He writes:
"Life on Earth evolved based on its one-year orbit around the sun, the solar year. Life on Nibiru developed based on its one-year orbit around the sun--3,600 years to Earthlings. It then stands to reason that life on Nibiru would have evolved somewhat sooner than on Earth. ...."
Well what's wrong with this picture? Poor Jim Marrs can't figure this one out because he is either a dimwit or maybe a crafty (?) operative for some ruling-elite think-tank given the task to write about some real conspiracies and mix it up with nut-case ideas so as to discredit through association anyone who talks about these real conspiracies. (His accusations that the communist movement was supported by the secret ruling elites for their own evil ends also lends me to think that he is either an operative or a useful tool of some capitalist think-tank out to discredit the socialist movement.)
Any planet that orbits the Sun in 3,600 years is not going to be a planet that can evolve life. Such an orbit, elliptical or otherwise, would mean that most of the time (or all of the time if not elliptical) the planet would be in the frozen outer reaches of the solar system. Life as science knows it requires liquid water. That should have been the end of the "Sumerian" myth story for most people, but not Jim Marrs, he goes on weaving further impossibilities and implausibilities.
I won't waste anymore time with more examples, because a waste it truly is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good survey of conspiracy, whether or not you believe, Nov. 11 2003
No1Crush (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
For those who are interested in learning about conspiracy theories (and one doesn't necessarily have to believe in them to know about them or to enjoy this book from a stylistic point-of-view), I would recommend this book as a wonderful primer. The structure of the book is fascinating as it backwards from the present-day to the ancient past. A lot of the content presented may not be "gospel truth", but there's a chance that they maybe more true than what is presented in the mainstream media.
One of my small beefs with the book is the fact that it is unfavourably slanted against innocuous groups like the freemasons, and the original Bavarian Illuminati (they may not actually be evil Nazi-esque bad guys, but a society of egalitarian free-thinkers which had to be secretive as their concepts were 200 years ahead of their time.) This presentation could be due to sloppy research or an ingrained personal bias , but I would encourage anyone to look at all sides of the story and question anything in the book (and I imagine that Jim Marrs, being a freethinker, would want you to as well).

CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16