march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

on April 2, 2004
This book is written in a very upbeat and casual style and very liberally sprinkled with quotes from a fairly large selection of the hundreds of women interviewed. It is easy to read and very thought provoking. While many of the ideas and strategies seem like common sense, a few of the strategies are ideas that women (and mean) can benefit from employing no matter what their career and salary level. I enjoyed this book and gained a lot of insight.
One of the strategies called "The Trap" that especially caught my eye was given the motto "bite off more than you can chew, but not so much you choke," This idea involved stretching yourself but not too thin and also emphasized that some women can be too hard on themselves, extremely impatient or overly meticulous. This dealt with taking some risk and possibly get in over your head and not realizing you need to cut yourself some slack and instead pushing even harder until you snap. The author used many interviewees comments and experiences as well as her known to clearly illustrate both the danger and the handling of "The Trap".
The bottom line of these strategies is that it is not what type of career you pick (all different fields from musicians and artists to CEO were represented), what company you work for (or not),what your education or your background is, but how you use your mental, emotional, physical and spiritual strengths and improve them by following the laid out strategies that will determine whether you can be a "six-figure woman" or man.
on March 3, 2004
There's a wealth of information for women in this guide to increasing your income.
Barbara Stanny begins by explaining why so many women are low earners. (She illustrates her point well with interviews.) She then goes on to give seven strategies for overcoming the fear, lethargy, self-sabotage, and false beliefs that keep women stuck in low earning situations.
Perhaps the most important lesson in this book is that a woman's ATTITUDE about her right and ability to earn more money is what will make the difference in her financial life.
Eye-opening reading, with great practical strategies. Recommended.
Reviewer: Linda Painchaud
on March 31, 2004
This book is written in a very casual style and very liberally sprinkled with quotes from a fairly large selection of the hundreds of women interviewed. It is easy to read and very thought provoking. While many of the ideas and strategies seem like common sense, a few of the strategies are ideas that women (and mean) can benefit from employing no matter what their career and salary level. I enjoyed this book and gained a lot of insight.
One of the strategies that especially caught my eye, called "The Trap", was given the motto "bite off more than you can chew, but not so much you choke." This idea involved stretching yourself but not too thin and also emphasized that some women can be too hard on themselves, extremely impatient or overly meticulous. This dealt with taking some risk and possibly get in over your head and not realizing you need to cut yourself some slack and instead pushing even harder until you snap. The author used many interviewees comments and experiences as well as her known to clearly illustrate both the danger and the handling of "The Trap".
The bottom line of these strategies is that it is not what type of career you pick (all different fields from musicians and artists to CEO were represented), what company you work for (or not), what your education or your background is, but how you use your mental, emotional, physical and spiritual strengths and improve them by following the laid out strategies that will determine whether you can be a "six-figure woman" or man.
on January 31, 2004
An incredibly inspirational book. I've read many books on how to be a successful woman intellectually, professionally, and financially, and this one is definitely a favorite. I've emailed many passages to friends and even my already business-savvy mother.
The book is phenomenal. It concentrates on your attitude and your mentality rather than saying things like "be a corporate lawyer" or "invest in these stocks." It allows guidance and inspiration while leaving room for you to figure things out for your own situation, and this is surely the most effective way to embrace change so that it lasts.
The mantra I got from this book that has already changed my life is "Feel the fear, have the doubts, go for it anyway." It was while reading this book I realized that after attending a very prestigious and exclusive university and getting my dream job in New York City that it actually isn't what I want at all. I decided that what I really want to do is freelance work in another field, and within just three weeks I have acquired four clients and two more are considering. This book is what made me stop listening to the "should's" in my head and instead listen to my gut that says "Go for it.", and within a few months I'm sure the money will follow.
I hope to be back six months from now to confirm that I have doubled my income and am much happier with my career. --wink wink-- keep an eye out for me.
on August 5, 2003
Reviewed by Carolyn Howard-Johnson, Award-winning author
This review is the most whole hearted endorsement of any non fiction book I have reviewed this year. This book is so sorely needed, even by most women who are already doing very well, thank you. It is also because it is well written. Barbara is the bestselling author of Prince Charming Isn't Coming and she knows what she is talking about. She has been there, done that . All you'll need to do is read one chapter, "Raising the Bar," and you'll have enough information (if you choose to listen to the advice) worth a whole lot more than the price of one little book!
This is a book about strategy. How many women do you know who actually have a strategy?
(Carolyn Howard-Johnson's first novel, This is the Place, has won eight awards. Her newly released Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remember has won three. Her new book of poetry, Skyscapes: A Woman's View, is looking for a home.)
on May 4, 2011
Makes the reader aware of one's true ambition.
Provides you with the tools to reveal your core values.
Knowing that other women have overcome their self doubt and fears allows the reader to move forward feeling stronger and more self assured.
on September 23, 2002
After finishing this book I felt inspired. I realized I fit into several of the underearner traits that Barbara talks about it her book. Mostly I always undervalue my worth and honestly was afraid of being more and making more.
In the last few weeks I started using her strategies and I've seen a change in the way I feel about money ... and all of the sudden more opportunities seem to be presenting themselves. It's too soon to know if it will boost my earning power ... but it certainly has changed the way I look at success and money.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who not only wants to make more money ... but who wants to feel more successful in life.
on August 20, 2002
If you are a woman (though I think this book would help men as well) and want to earn more, this book will provide the information you need. In fact, the author, with the knowledge she gained from writing this book, dramatically increased her own income. So many books that profess to help you earn more are just fluff. This book has depth. Of course you need to follow the advice given, but the author handholds your way there. I found much advice that I can immediately implement. One of the best career/business books I've read and I've read many!
on April 6, 2003
Barbara Stanny speaks to women in no nonsense English She offers valuable advice through intimate interviews with successful, powerful and self made women that support growth in every reader . Her strategies are life changing. Barbara is a pro and gets her message across. She cares about women and their future. This book belongs on every bookshelf of every woman who is making life changes and wants to be a Six Figure Woman and ...who doesn't!
on April 6, 2003