5.0 out of 5 stars "Words To Live By"
The E-Myth Physician was on target, and not only about physicians, but also all doctors, including, veterinarians, dentists and other medical professionals.
Published on July 25 2003 by Wilson W. McManus II, DVM

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Ideas, no Guide to Practical Application
Published on Sept. 2 2003 by Dan N

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Ideas, no Guide to Practical Application, Sept. 2 2003
Dan N (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
Mr. Gerber has very interesting ideas about systematic management of a medical practice. He uses the franchise example of McDonald's to help the physician to think of his or own practice as a system, that is easy to repeat. Repetitive systems are a definite way to provide better patient care and make more money. Mr. Gerber also speaks about how the physician must constantly look to change to improve these systems. This also makes sense with the constant changing horizon of health care.
The problem, is that Mr. Gerber gives very little insight on how to put these concepts into practice. For example, he believes all physicians should have systems to see patients on time. Yet, he has no solutions on how to deal with the problems that put physicians behind in the schedule. He brings up the "By the way doc,...," patient with multiple unannounced problems, but no solutions on how to deal with him. Another concept he suggests, is when a customer is angry, doing whatever the customer wants to satisfy them. This is a good concept with most patients, but there are several where this would not work, drug-seekers, etc.
This is a great book to help you conceptualize what you want your practice to be. It will help you to break it down into individual concepts and systems to address and fine tune to make your practice profitable and enjoyable. It will not give you much practical advice on how to solve these problems. You will have to look elsewhere for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Words To Live By", July 25 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
I strongly recommend this book and have to several friends who are doctors. I recommend it because it pegs so many doctors and health care professionals and why they often lead unfulfilling careers and lives.
I started incorporating what I've learned from E-Myth last February 2001 when I enrolled in The E-Myth Mastery Program. I can relate to Keith and Susan very well because like me, my father is also a veterinarian and I have experienced many of the same things they related in their story. Even though I recognize the same pattern because I have lived it, I often have difficulty not falling into the same unfulfilling trap. That is why I am working daily on E-Myth Mastery to help my family and myself have a life outside of my career.
Chapter 12 on the subject of work has had a big impact on the way I think about my business. "Work is the cause of obsessive-compulsive behaviors by doctors. Work. You've got to do it every single day. Work. If you fall behind you'll pay for it. Work. There is either too much or not enough." -from page 97 of The E-Myth Physician.
The E-Myth philosophy stresses the importance of the need of working on your practice and not just working in it to achieve equity and something that lives without me. It gives me a visual way to realize my goals and a way to build each level on a solid foundation and systems that work in my business.
It is excellent because by managing the process in a medical business is the only way I can find peace in my life and prevent career burnout as I mature in my profession.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 3 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
Mr. Gerber looks at business differently than any other business help writer I have read. He looks at the business on a strategic level, and not down at the day to day operations level. His philosophy is not only amazing, it really works. Unlike most "help" books, Mr. Gerber points out that the business owner has to figure out where the business is going and what it needs to accomplish, before figuring out how to do that. This is a fundamental shift in thinking, but once the shift is understood, it makes a tremendous amount of sense! The book is easily understandable, exciting, and really gets your attention if you are frustrated with how your company operates. Don't get bogged down in the examples Mr. Gerber gives - I am sure you could insert many other examples, but look at the point he makes. I highly recommend this book if you are struggling as a medical professional and want to honestly look at a better way to do things. It is a great introduction to "The E-Myth Revisited" which is also a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing insights, March 9 2003
Dr. LF Gordon (Benoni, Gauteng South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
Anyone who is currently in practice or is considering doing medicine should read this book. Unfortunately one is never taught at medical school the fundamentals of running a medical practice profitably. Doctors erroneously believe that because they are good at medicine or surgery or paediatrics, they will necessarily believe that they are able to run a practice well. This couldn't be further from the truth. Gerber, in an insightful work, manages to expose many of the pitfalls in running a medical practice. I can only say from personal experience that initially, one gets validation from medicine because you are working at the coalface - doing the work of a doctor. Eventually, it dawns on you that you don't in fact have a life - you have effectively bought yourself a job. Every chapter has nuggets that have resulted in a multitude of paradigm shifts in my strategic thinking towards my practice. If you are happy doing the work of a technician and working 80 hour weeks for 50 weeks of the year, don't read this book. If you are seeking something better from practicing medicine, I would suggest reading this book in conjunction with The E-Myth Revisited - Why most small businesses don't work and what to do about it. I would also suggest reading the Robert Kiyosaki books, which will give you another lucid perspective on the pitfalls of being in a profession.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Myth of myth., Feb. 19 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
Ever been talking to an person of an older generation and he or she starts to ramble? That's what it felt like reading this book. Even the structure and chapters of the book are disorganized - "I'm going to talk to you about employees" . . ."Now I am going to talk to you about money". . ."Now I am going to talk to you about people" and so on.
As far as business issues, the author seems to obsess about doctors keeping on time with appointments (which should be a legitimate focus of business operations) but does not offer any solution to the predicament of when a patient has further health concerns. Do we cut them off and tell them to schedule more next time? Defer them to a nurse?
And what about other issues a physician faces? Managed care contracts, malpractice, competition, long hours, declining reimbursement. . .?
The only redeeming quality about the book was his recommendation to produce a procedure manual of sorts for your practice. That sort of thinking can help one organize themselves.
But all in all, I would pass on this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great book, Oct. 7 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
I agree with Dan who posted a review 2 posts before me. I am a physician and have read a few of Gerbers books. His Emyth revisited is a good book. However, his other books such as this one which is supposed to be geared towards specific profession. He only gives you some very basic concepts that offer really no solutions to these problems. I think most of us who understand our problems wish to have some questions answered and get help solving them not just simply reiterate what we already know. He does an absolute poor job on the money section of the book even though he implies that it is one of the most important aspects of the business. It is a terrible book on application to problem solving. Emyth even though does not necessarily cover application all the way either but it gives more useful hints than this one.
Organization: C-
Application: F
Usefulness: F
Re-read: F
Overall: D-

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking at the big picture, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
My partners and I read the E-Myth Physician after reading the E-Myth Revisited. The concepts and systemization of our company have significantly changed our practices in the last year. After looking at some of the other reviews I noticed a common theme, people either love the book or hate it. Those who were not pleased with the book all have another common theme in that they did not feel it offered any "practical" solutions to their problems. That point of view absolutely supports Gerber's idea of the "technition" working in the business and not working on the business. I would not recommend this book for people looking for quick solutions to daily problems in their practice, but if you want to change your practice and the way you look at your business it is an excellent addition to the E-Myth series.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am a doctor for doctors..., April 9 2004
B. Hipwell "B" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
I have read many of Mr. Gerber's books and have applied his insights to my own practice (not medicine, but financial planning).
I work exclusively with physicians and his commentary is right on. Many physicians who feel his book does not provide solutions to their problems are very much still a technician within their practice, working within it and not on it.
I have showed clients of mine, who originally did not feel the book provided enough answers to their problems, how the service they receive from my firm is directly attributed to Mr. Gerber's book.
After doing so, you can see the light go off in their head, and many of my clients are running more effecient offices, making the same or more money, and most importantly are enjoying what they truly love to do, practive medicine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest business book I've ever read, June 14 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
After reading this book I was a bit conflicted over what rating to give it. Yes, there is insightful information in the book, but it only takes up two pages. The rest of the text is the typical motivational style found in other business books. It's the "You can succeed" attitude that I find obnoxious. For what it's worth, the premise of "E-Myth" is that doctors should have a set form for the practice -- that the office should run more like McDonald's than the traditional idea that everything revolves around the physician's meeting with the patient. Practices should divide tasks among the staff -- such as letting the techs take care of the initial physical -- while the doctors worry about only matters which actually require an M.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait any longer!, April 7 2003
C. Alan Henry (Roanoke, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
As a frustrated physician in private practice, I started the E-Myth Academy's Mastery program about one year ago. This program has revolutionized the way I view my medical practice and business and has given me a renewed vitality and optimism for medicine. The Mastery program is the full curriculum of the concepts that are outlined in the E-Myth Physician. Anyone who reads the book, and is interested in the concepts, owes it to him or herself to continue developing these concepts in the E-Myth Mastery program. This has been the most important and fulfilling educational experience I have had since medical school. This stuff should be taught in medical school!

The E-Myth Physician: Why Most Medical Practices Don't Work and What to Do About It
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26