5.0 out of 5 stars gerber teaches docs how to be successful and have a quality
Gerber keeps the message simple yet compelling.Why can't a patient be seen on time and yet still get good care? They can if you simply agree to keep the promise. This will be a benefit to busy docs who desire a better quality of life yet still desire to be the best and be the busiest they can be!
Published on Sept. 10 2003 by james adkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest business book I've ever read
Published on June 15 2003 by deuist

4.0 out of 5 stars I am a doctor for doctors..., April 9 2004
B. Hipwell "B" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
I have read many of Mr. Gerber's books and have applied his insights to my own practice (not medicine, but financial planning).
I work exclusively with physicians and his commentary is right on. Many physicians who feel his book does not provide solutions to their problems are very much still a technician within their practice, working within it and not on it.
I have showed clients of mine, who originally did not feel the book provided enough answers to their problems, how the service they receive from my firm is directly attributed to Mr. Gerber's book.
After doing so, you can see the light go off in their head, and many of my clients are running more effecient offices, making the same or more money, and most importantly are enjoying what they truly love to do, practive medicine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking at the big picture, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
My partners and I read the E-Myth Physician after reading the E-Myth Revisited. The concepts and systemization of our company have significantly changed our practices in the last year. After looking at some of the other reviews I noticed a common theme, people either love the book or hate it. Those who were not pleased with the book all have another common theme in that they did not feel it offered any "practical" solutions to their problems. That point of view absolutely supports Gerber's idea of the "technition" working in the business and not working on the business. I would not recommend this book for people looking for quick solutions to daily problems in their practice, but if you want to change your practice and the way you look at your business it is an excellent addition to the E-Myth series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great book, Oct. 7 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
I agree with Dan who posted a review 2 posts before me. I am a physician and have read a few of Gerbers books. His Emyth revisited is a good book. However, his other books such as this one which is supposed to be geared towards specific profession. He only gives you some very basic concepts that offer really no solutions to these problems. I think most of us who understand our problems wish to have some questions answered and get help solving them not just simply reiterate what we already know. He does an absolute poor job on the money section of the book even though he implies that it is one of the most important aspects of the business. It is a terrible book on application to problem solving. Emyth even though does not necessarily cover application all the way either but it gives more useful hints than this one.
Organization: C-
Application: F
Usefulness: F
Re-read: F
Overall: D-

5.0 out of 5 stars gerber teaches docs how to be successful and have a quality, Sept. 10 2003
james adkins (phoenix arizona) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough!, Sept. 3 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
The author seems to partly grasp the challenges (i.e. managed care, cash flow, office staff, family life, etc.) of a being a physician. However, he offers no practical solutions to help overcome these challenges. Changing one's "mindset" is simply not enough. I expected a whole lot more from this book and kept waiting for answers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Ideas, no Guide to Practical Application, Sept. 2 2003
Dan N (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
Mr. Gerber has very interesting ideas about systematic management of a medical practice. He uses the franchise example of McDonald's to help the physician to think of his or own practice as a system, that is easy to repeat. Repetitive systems are a definite way to provide better patient care and make more money. Mr. Gerber also speaks about how the physician must constantly look to change to improve these systems. This also makes sense with the constant changing horizon of health care.
The problem, is that Mr. Gerber gives very little insight on how to put these concepts into practice. For example, he believes all physicians should have systems to see patients on time. Yet, he has no solutions on how to deal with the problems that put physicians behind in the schedule. He brings up the "By the way doc,...," patient with multiple unannounced problems, but no solutions on how to deal with him. Another concept he suggests, is when a customer is angry, doing whatever the customer wants to satisfy them. This is a good concept with most patients, but there are several where this would not work, drug-seekers, etc.
This is a great book to help you conceptualize what you want your practice to be. It will help you to break it down into individual concepts and systems to address and fine tune to make your practice profitable and enjoyable. It will not give you much practical advice on how to solve these problems. You will have to look elsewhere for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Words To Live By", July 25 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
The E-Myth Physician was on target, and not only about physicians, but also all doctors, including, veterinarians, dentists and other medical professionals.
I strongly recommend this book and have to several friends who are doctors. I recommend it because it pegs so many doctors and health care professionals and why they often lead unfulfilling careers and lives.
I started incorporating what I've learned from E-Myth last February 2001 when I enrolled in The E-Myth Mastery Program. I can relate to Keith and Susan very well because like me, my father is also a veterinarian and I have experienced many of the same things they related in their story. Even though I recognize the same pattern because I have lived it, I often have difficulty not falling into the same unfulfilling trap. That is why I am working daily on E-Myth Mastery to help my family and myself have a life outside of my career.
Chapter 12 on the subject of work has had a big impact on the way I think about my business. "Work is the cause of obsessive-compulsive behaviors by doctors. Work. You've got to do it every single day. Work. If you fall behind you'll pay for it. Work. There is either too much or not enough." -from page 97 of The E-Myth Physician.
The E-Myth philosophy stresses the importance of the need of working on your practice and not just working in it to achieve equity and something that lives without me. It gives me a visual way to realize my goals and a way to build each level on a solid foundation and systems that work in my business.
It is excellent because by managing the process in a medical business is the only way I can find peace in my life and prevent career burnout as I mature in my profession.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be mandatory reading for Docs., July 20 2003
Tony DeFrance, MD (Santa Barbara, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
With medicine headed for a meltdown and physician dissatisfaction and burnout at staggering levels, this book could not come at a better time. I read this and felt renewed hope that there is a better way to approach that thing we call a practice and turn it into what we dreamed it would be. Michael Gerber does not give a canned strategy for success because there is no such thing. Instead he teaches you to reinvent your practice according to your desires. He gives you the tools but it is up to you to put them to good use. Read it and dream. Then read it again and do. I see it as a ray of hope in an otherwise dark time for medicine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, July 4 2003
Lawrence Yao "javadoctor" (Bethesda, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
The useful message from this book could be stated in two pages. Gerber doesn't understand what motivates most physicians or what differentiates the practice of medicine from other forms of human commerce. It's true that most physicians are inept at business and have much to learn from entrepreneurs. However there are many aspects to the commerce of health care that pose unique challenges for the entrepreneur. Moreover, many business tenets are antithetical to traditional principles of the patient / caretaker relationship. The book is simplistic and off the mark.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest business book I've ever read, June 15 2003
This review is from: The E-Myth Physician (Hardcover)
After reading this book I was a bit conflicted over what rating to give it. Yes, there is insightful information in the book, but it only takes up two pages. The rest of the text is the typical motivational style found in other business books. It's the "You can succeed" attitude that I find obnoxious. For what it's worth, the premise of "E-Myth" is that doctors should have a set form for the practice -- that the office should run more like McDonald's than the traditional idea that everything revolves around the physician's meeting with the patient. Practices should divide tasks among the staff -- such as letting the techs take care of the initial physical -- while the doctors worry about only matters which actually require an M.D.

ARRAY(0xa595ba44)

The E-Myth Physician: Why Most Medical Practices Don't Work and What to Do About It
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26