Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 25, 2003
I purchased this book after reading the glowing reviews from other parents. The concepts are great, the games and activities - truly ten minutes or less - are creative and effectively teach the lessons they set out to teach. However, I disagreed with previous reviewers who found this book helpful for opening up lines of communication with their pre-teen and teenage children. These are sound lessons, but I don't see how any parent could get their older children to participate without a lot of eye-rolling and protests of "I am SO too old for this." More interesting for older kids are "201 Questions to Ask Your Parents" by Pepper Schwartz or "201 Great Questions for Kids and Parents" by Jerry Jones. Both books allow older kids to ask parents about their feelings and life experiences in a way that makes them recognize parents as regular people, just like them, who grew up just like they did, learning and making mistakes along the way - not infallible, inaccessible, or larger-than-life as we sometimes seem.
on July 25, 2000
This book is a wonderful way to not only teach values but also to open the lines of communications. As suggested in the book, our family created a list of our favorite things and then proceeded to take turns crossing items off that we could live without. After some pretty funny selections (would you choose friends OR toilet paper? ) we ended up with a small list of the bare necessities.....including family and love. My 8 yr. old son was willing to cross his Digimon card collection off the list in order to leave his sister's glasses on the list. This was a very enjoyable, heart warming activity. I can't wait to try out the other 51 activities.
on February 10, 2003
We use the games in this book as the basis for discussions about character at the supper table with our 11 and 15 year olds. Jamie C. Miller had a great idea with this book. I think our kids will take away valuable lessons on values for their whole lives, and maybe do the same for their own kids someday.
Also recommended: Norman Thomas Remick's book of character called "West Point: Character Leadership Education..", which is an education in and of itself, and which my husband and I constantly refer to.
on December 10, 1999
I have used these activities with my kids, ages 5-13 and they love them! Doing these together has led to some wonderful discussions with my kids about important values. These games and activities are fun and easy and don't take much forethought or planning. I've never seen such an interesting approach to combining games and teaching values. Every parent should have this book to help get discussions going about important life lessons. It's a great tool!
on January 22, 2000
While no singlebook replaces all parental discipline and the wisdom of the ages, this book gathers hundreds of ideas from different places. Everyone I've talked to has heard of one or two before--all different--but to have them all togetehr is a great resource. More important, they work. Theiy are fun; they increase involvement with teaching. And they provide valuable teaching moments in the context of having fun with your kids. A great find!
on March 25, 2000
Jamie Miller provides detailed instructions on how to teach the lessons in the book. Not only is it quick and easy to follow but the lessons I teach my kids, will stick with them for a long time and hopefully pass on to their kids. I am thankful for a book like this to help me raise my child in a positive and fun way.
on July 30, 1999
While these activities may be good for the very young, they are certainly not going to prepare a child for the rough and tumble real world out there; a world where not everyone is nicey-nice. Teaching values is important, But I think that our parents and grandparents did it better than the ways you find here.
on September 21, 2000
I am an elementary school counselor and found several activities in this book to use in my classes. The students cheer when I walk in the room. They expect to learn through the fun activities I used from this book. If you like to have creative lessons you'll love this book!
on May 17, 2002
I start our weekly family meetings with a lesson from this book. All three of my boys (ages 8, 13, & 17), have gotten lots of fun and value from the books lessons. Mom & Dad Too!
on January 1, 2000
This book was a revelation--full of great ideas about how to work creatively with your children and get them to contemplate moral issues. Invaluable!