5.0 out of 5 stars A new approach to weight loss
Published on Jan. 13 2003 by dasn0wman

3.0 out of 5 stars An Ode To Sawdust
I can't believe I spent a whole week and a couple hundred dollars basically eating sawdust mixed with varnish. I suppose this is a good way to lose weight if you can resist the siren call of Mickey Dees. And beer.
Published on Feb. 1 2003 by Dipper Lips

5.0 out of 5 stars A new approach to weight loss, Jan. 13 2003
dasn0wman "dasn0wman" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
Losing weight used to mean losing calories. Not according to the author. Losing weight now means controlling your hormone levels, mainly your insulin level. According to the author, insulin is responsible for telling the cells to store fat and keep it. The way to reduce insulin levels is by reducing your intake of grains and complex carbs. However, your diet should still be mostly carbs, but the types that do not stimulate insulin release as much such as fruits and vegetables. Carbs are considered anything that grow on the ground. Protein and fat are considered good because the former releases glucagon which tells cells to release stored energy and the latter slow down the absorption of carbs into the bloodstream.
How to lose weight:
-Shop in the peripheries of the supermarket. This is where all the fresh fruits and vegetables and lean protein-rich foods such as fish and chicken are located.
-Eat only monounsaturated and omega-3 fats from`nuts, olive oil, avocados, and fish.
-Fresh frozen produce are usually better than non-frozen ones because the nutrients are kept intact.
-Eat your carbs, proteins, and fats in a 3:2:1 ratio for each meal.
-Eat 5 meals a day to stablize insulin level.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first how-to Zone book for everyone, March 25 2000
Kenneth Stuart (Central California Coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
Finally, Barry Sears has gotten around to writing a "how-to" book on the Zone Diet. All of the previous books were somewhat technical, and aimed at medical professionals or personal trainers.
This book, his first paperback, is written in a clear, concise and easy to understand style. By the end of the first 20 pages, you will have a good idea of what the Zone Diet is about, its benefits and how it works.
Then, the rest of the book gives Sears' simplest yet version of the diet (for example, instead of "40-30-30" the new restatement uses "1-2-3").
The Zone Diet, by the way, is primarily a health diet, although it is also effective for weight loss. The idea is to keep your blood sugar and hormone levels as even as possible, by balancing what you eat in each meal. The result is a number of health benefits, especially in the areas of diabetes (demonstrated by a clinical study) and heart disease (Sears started the research due to the high mortality in his own family tree), but also in other areas like allergies, joint pain, headaches, stomach acid, and many others, all of which are aggravated by our modern unnatural eating habits.
Unlike almost all other eating plans, this diet is based on an investigation of how food affects our bodies' mechanisms, and the result is simply better functioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it possible to eat more protein with the Zone, May 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is very easy to understand but I have one question I am hoping someone can help me. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner there is a 10 gram fat , 20 gram protein, and 30 gram carbohydrate. Is it possible to just use the information on carbohydrates and just eat a meal of 90 carbs a day. I'm very useless in the kitchen and there seems to be so many low carb products out in the market that seem to have the right amount of carbs but a slightly higher number of protein and I was wondering I could still stay in the zone even if the protein goes over 20 grams. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE SO HELPFUL AND APPRECIATED.

5.0 out of 5 stars great introduction to the Zone, Jan. 4 2004
R. Hanne "chichi_larue" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
this is a great introduction to this eating plan, and will probably be all most people will need to understand and implement the Zone. clearly written and easily read and understood.
the zone works! by the way. i have lost 40 lbs in 6 months and lost weight through the holidays and cheated a bit every once in a while. very worth doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The One Eating Program That Really, Really Works., Oct. 16 2003
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
If you have a weight problem, bad eating habits, or feel like the food you eat gives you more problems than it's supposed to, then this is the book for you. I had problems with my weight, very poor acne-prone skin and very low energy levels since I was fourteen. I tried every program and diet I could find, and the most weight I ever lost, without downright starving myself, was about 10 pounds over a period of four to six months. I was always depressed and anxious over dieting, and most diets worked horrors for my immunological system, energy, skin, hair and nails. By following the Zone as explained in this book, although making my own Zone recipes, I have lost eight pounds in two weeks and feel better than ever. I haven't gotten sick, my energy levels are soaring, and I'm eating the foods I like without ever being hungry. The condition of my skin, hair and nails is at an all-time best.
The Zone is a very easy to follow eating plan, (I was used to it by the third day) based on combining different foods in the proportions that add up the amount of proteins, carbohydrates and fat you should consume at each meal. By making use of meal timing it insures proper delivery of the nutrients to your body, and by including a couple of Zone balanced snacks between meals, it minimizes carbohydrate cravings and hunger.
The book is very easy to understand. It thoroughly explains, backed by scientific research, the ways different foods and nutrients impact your body and the reasons why some foods are good for us while some are bad. The eating program it promotes is very easy to follow and it works even if you follow it only 75% of the time. Its results are almost instantaneous, and you start to notice them as soon as the second day. If you want even faster results, you should also include a 30-minute daily workout in your schedule.
Buy this book, get started on the program, and customize it to fit your needs, soon you'll start enjoying a healthier life in a healthier body. Weight loss will be an added benefit and you will thank yourself later.
I also recommend buying the Zone Food Blocks book as a tool, it contains around 12,000 foods converted into Zone balanced proportions, including prepared meals and items from known Fast Food Restaurant menus. As another tool I recommend visiting Dr. Sears' Website at [..]
Buy this book and discover the amazing benefits that a well-balanced eating program can give you.
--Reviewed by M. E. Volmar

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT SELLER! GREAT BOOK-IN PERFECT BRAND NEW CONDITION!, Sept. 15 2003
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
Book was recieved in brand new condition. Arrived promptly! Very pleased, Thankyou!

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like meat and science... buy this book!, Aug. 24 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
In looking for a low-carb diet, I decided to purchase several books on the subject matter in order to educate myslef and find the diet best suited to my needs. I'm a vegetarian - so low-carb diets in general are a little difficult. This book seems far better suited to meat eaters. Also, this book was intended to sell the "Zone" diet to the medical community by proving the scientific facts behind it. Fine and dandy if you've just got to understand every single reason for every single thing, but otherwise it comes off as TOO MUCH INFO! I really just wanted a brief on what to eat and why - I didn't need to look back 500,000 years and study the effects of our diet from a thousand different angles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight, Aug. 12 2003
archtone (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book about a month ago. It's easy to read, and it's the first "diet" book that makes sense to me. I have followed the plan, used some of the recipes, which were fast, easy and tasty, and have lost several pounds that I had been struggling to lose for the past 3 years! I also had my cholesterol checked and it has improved with this eating plan. The only problem I have is that I miss the carbs that I love so much (bread and pasta). I have recommended this book to several friends, and believe that if everyone ate this way and exercised, we'd all be much healthier and thinner!

5.0 out of 5 stars My introduction to a healthy lifestyle, July 18 2003
This review is from: A Week in the Zone (Mass Market Paperback)
Buy this book....even if, for no other reason, to dismiss it. It's worth challenging. While I've since read all of the Zone books, this one was the cheap introduction I needed. My doctor recommended this insulin-management diet specifically because of my family history of diabetes, high triglycerides, my being a little overweight, and my recently higher blood pressure. After reading this book and starting (loosely) on this dietary program, I started to have more consistent energy and lost any hunger between nearly all meals. Since then, I have read the other Zone books (and other nutritional books) and learned quite a bit about how to manage body relative to my family history of both heart disease and diabetes. What's more, this doesn't take "religion", it involves a balance of healthy foods and MOST foods (unlike Atkins, for example), so it's not a strict diet. You can go off-the-wagon for a meal every now and then, etc. I follow the "hand-eye" method in the book, meaning I only estimate the measurements of food. Some of the recipes in here are awful, which is unfortunate, but as long as you're not addicted starch, you can find alternative recipes to accomodate. My wife and I did. I've found it unproblematic to center our meals and recipes around lean meats, cheese, green veggies, most fruit, salad, oats, omlettes, yogurt, olives and olive oil, etc. Believe me. It's not that hard. I've been doing it for 5 months and have no regrets or desire to change. Results: I feel better now and with more energy than I've had in 15 years and my temperment is more calm now. My muscle/fat composition is noticeably improved and I reduced my waist size by over 2 inches. I've lost 13 pounds and I'm now within 2 pounds of the ideal weight for my height recommended by my doctor. (And, I haven't even increased my exercise yet.) My wife is experiencing similar results. You will spend more money on food because it's generally better food and fresher food. We have very little cheap processed starchy stuff in our cabinets anymore. I can live with that. Well worth the tradeoff. After reading this book, you can come to your own conclusions about whether the tradeoff is worth it for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars My introduction to a healthy lifestyle, July 18 2003

ARRAY(0xac6454c8)

A Week in the Zone
A Week in the Zone by Barry Sears (Mass Market Paperback - March 1 2000)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54