5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
This is the first time I have read a 368 page book in less than a week! This book really kept my interest...and believe me, that's hard to do. Very enjoyable story.
Published on May 25 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars There's room for more...
Published on June 25 2004 by janlouise

3.0 out of 5 stars There's room for more..., June 25 2004
janlouise (Ruston, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
I will probably get some negative votes on this one but... I just had a hard time getting through it. I didn't care for the main characters- he was flaky and she was difficult. I, too liked sub-characters Tracy and Larry, better than the main ones. Ren is a dashing playboy- a "stuck on himself" movie star that needs to find himself. Isabel Favor is a "self-help guru" and author of The Four Cornerstones of a Favorable Life. She thinks her life is perfect until it falls apart. They both end up in Italy to get away from it all - at the same villa. Ren owns the villa but Isabel refuses to leave since she has put down a large deposit for it in good faith. There's a past here. They've met before. They had a rather unusual one night stander of which both want to forget. Surprise! They are now sharing the same villa. Sparks and tempers start to fly! Meanwhile, something is going on around the villa- Isabel is trying to be run off by the villagers. Why? I'm not going to tell incase you want to read it for yourself. Hey, you might enjoy it. It just wasn't for me. Too silly at times.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad. but nothing memorable.., June 25 2004
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
of all SEP's books so far, this is her second worst book after the historical one 'just imagine'. the characters are so-so, but doesnt make you feel very attached to them or give you that warm feeling you feel in her other books... dont get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of SEP's, have everyone so far.. but perhaps its because she has already put herself at such a high standard that we come to expect that much from her. still, her worst is still better than some other author's best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, May 25 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars ~ I Did Not Enjoy The Main characters ~, April 9 2004
Lisa (Alhambra Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
I am giving this book 3 1/2 stars. I did not enjoy the two main characters in this s book. They did nothing of me. I did enjoy the others, I liked Tracy and her kids, and I also l liked her husband Larry, every time they went to Ren and Isabel, I couldn't wait to get back to Tracy and Larry, If the story was just about them then I would have give this book 4 stars.
Happy Reading Lisa

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 stars in SEP's standard........., March 15 2004
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
firstly i have to say that this is my leats favourite book of SEP's book ive read so far...... this is not really much of her humopr in this one and its just so and tooo SEP...... it seems to talk more about his ex-wife than him.... their story are not really developed the story was just liek okay.. it doesnt really get me excited or waiting to see whats next...... i have to admit its rather a disappointment.......

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite romances, March 7 2004
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
The first three chapters were downright depressing but after that I smiled my way through most of the rest of the book. The witty dialogue reminded me of one of those screwball comedies from the 1930s like "Topper" or "Bringing up Baby" -- so much fun!! This was the kind of romance where the two main characters enjoy the heck out of each other and you know that they will have a happy and lasting marriage. (I hate romances where the "hero" treats the heroine like dirt until the second to the last page where suddenly he declares his undying devotion.)Isobel and Ren start off on the wrong foot but they are able to mend the fences very quickly. I especially loved the character of Isobel. Sure she was a control freak, but she was willing and able to bend and grow. And Ren was the perfect man to help her to do it. I found Isobel to be the most mature heroine I've ever read about. And I mean that in a good way. And just because her life was in shambles doesn't mean she couldn't continue to be a good councilor - psychologists do it all the time. It's called being a professional.
This book was not without its faults but I found the problems easy to forgive. I thought this was one of the best romance books I have ever read and definitely the best SEP novel. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much "breathing room" in this one., March 1 2004
mahikahn (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
Hard for me to "breathe" with this one, it was too awful!
I had this book for a long time until I got around to reading it. This was a good thing because by now I´¿ve forgotten what I paid for it so, I´¿m not sure how much of a waste of money it was.
Isabel´¿s negative traits: self righteous, controlling, arrogant, obsessive, superior, annoying, boring, judgmental, prissy. Those are just the ones I can think of offhand.
Her positive traits: OK, let me think a minute, I'm sure there's something. She seemed to like kids?
Her fianc├ę left her after falling in love with a frumpy older woman whom he had gotten pregnant. Her accountant ran off with her money. Her career tanked. But that didn´¿t stop her from assuming she knew what was best for everyone else and telling them about it! She´¿s definitely not in a position to give advice! Heal Thyself.
Ren was a likeable enough guy, nowhere near the ´¿bad boy´¿ the media would have you think. He was however either stupid or masochistic or both to get involved with Isabel. What could a man like Ren possibly see in this woman? Or really any man for Pete´¿s sake. And how could she appeal to a man after she dictated her list of ´¿rules´¿ for them having sex? ´¿Can´¿t do this, can´¿t do that, I´¿m in charge, I call the shots.´¿ Can you say "kill the mood"?
And what was with the last couple of chapters? For awhile there I thought I´¿d dozed off and woke up in another book! Castle ruins, lightning, goddess (yeah right), statues (cue dramatic music)!
This definitely goes into the ´¿giveaway´¿ pile! Although I'm not sure if there's anyone I dislike enough to give it to.
I can highly recommend Ms. Phillip's "Kiss An Angel" which is one of my favorite books. Also "It Had To Be You".

2.0 out of 5 stars BELOW PAR., Feb. 5 2004
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
I DIDN'T THINK IT COULD GET MUCH WORSE THAN LADY BE GOOD AND DREAM A LITTLE DREAM BUT SHE HAD TO GO AND PROVE ME WRONG. NOT GOOD ENOUGH FROM THIS AUTHOR.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Fun!, Jan. 17 2004
Margaret (Columbia, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finished reading "Breathing Room" for the second time. Nearly all of SEP's books are on my keeper shelf and are dog-eared from re-reads. This will, no doubt, be one of them
One previous reviewer was turned off because Isabel was dowdy and plain. She wasn't! She just dressed a different way and had worked hard to make herself appear professional.
The best thing about this book, other than the tour of Tuscany, is the banter and sizzle between Ren and Isabel. She doesn't take his guff and he is caught by that. He's bored by women throwing themselves at him. They are a perfect match.
I thought the hunt for the fertility statue could have been left out, but it did serve to introduce some delightful characters. Also, the secondary romance of Ren's ex-wife and her estranged husband was wonderful.
I enjoyed the heck out of this book both times I've read it. No doubt, I will again some other winter's night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading Again, Dec 18 2003
Katrinna L. Pint (The White Mountains of AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breathing Room (Mass Market Paperback)
I originally bought Breathing Room when it came out in hardcover. As with all SEP books, I was thrilled when I saw it waiting for me in my mailbox and couldn't wait to read it. And it's promise came through.
Ren has so many private demons and Isabel is just the right person to help him. At the same time, Ren, with all the baggage he carries, manages to settle the ghosts of Isabel's past.
I've re-read this book at least 3 times, and it gets more interesting with every read. Little nuances you miss in the excitement of the first read pop out at you the second and third times. For example, the background story on the real estate agent and tour director couple is touching as they try desperately to have a child.
If you haven't read this story, don't wait. It's a romance you'll not want to miss. If you've read it, get your copy out, curl up with a cup of hot chocolate and spend a winter's day under the Tuscan sun.

ARRAY(0xb2aa242c)

Breathing Room
Breathing Room by Susan E Phillips (Mass Market Paperback - April 10 2003)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54