5.0 out of 5 stars sexy, comedic, and ROOOOMANTIC
I bought this book based on the reviews it got and the cover of a sexy guy. I recommmend this book to all romantic readers and those that like romance along with a bit of comedy.
Published on Feb. 16 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I would give any K.M. less than 5 stars...
But I have to do it here. This book was disappointing to me. Here's why:
Published on June 11 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I would give any K.M. less than 5 stars..., June 11 2004
But I have to do it here. This book was disappointing to me. Here's why:
The ending stunk. *SPOILER AHEAD* Jack spends his whole life hating Wallingford for many reasons. All of a sudden, when Wallingford shows up on the island, Jack forgives everything because he thinks that's what Lorelei would want. Um, I highly doubt that that much justified anger and hostility would all but dissolve just because Lorelei wished it so.
Lorelei tells both Justin and Jack that she loves them both. Jack is understandably upset by this, but that's the end of it. Yes, I believe you may be able to love two men at once, but I don't find that a particularily compelling storyline in romance novels.
Jack and his crew spend the entire book telling Lorelei how horrible Wallingford and his son are. Yet, no mention is made of anything horrible that Justin has done. Besides being a pasty-faced bore, he really doesn't do anything that deserves Jack or his crew's rage. On the other hand, Wallingford does all of these cruel things and Lorelei seems totally unaffected by it. She never confronts him with the horrible stories she has heard.
Wallingford is supposedly this cruel man. He burns people alive and kills for sport. Now, because he is dying, he becomes this crying mess of a man who everyone forgives and he dies a peaceful death. Come on! And Wallingford's other sons never address the fact that Black Jack is their brother. That is never discussed. Lorelei's reaction to finding out that her ex-fiancee and her current lover are half-brothers is never discussed. It should have been an integral part of the book.
The sex scenes were totally tame. The book is entitled, "Master of Seduction." In my humble opinion, Lorelei did most of the seducing. And once Jack got her into bed, there was nothing all that great about it. This was a man who had supposedly bedded and pleased hundreds and hundreds of women in his lifetime. But his lack of inventiveness and rather boring style of sex belied that fact. For a sex expert, I found him rather lacking. ;)
I wish I could give this 5 stars. This will be the first K.M. book I haven't given 5 stars. But I just found so much lacking in this one. I am going to read, "A Pirate of Her Own" next, so hopefully that's better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Master of the Cop-out, June 22 2004
C. Vowels "romance reader" (Spokane, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master Of Seduction (Mass Market Paperback)
Lorelei Dupree is a spunky Charleston debutant who never met a man she couldn't tame. Recently engaged, she convinces her lieutenant fiancé to let her help him catch the infamous pirate Black Jack Rhys. Dressed as a serving girl in a pub where the pirate is being set up, Lorelei recognizes Rhys as the man she danced with at a society party the night before and immediately fingers him as the man they're after.
Jack Rhys had a rough life. His mother was a prostitute (is that a pirating prerequisite?), but he's raised himself up from a cabin boy to be the captain of his own ship. He kidnaps Lorelei in hopes of luring her fiancé and his father (Jack's nemesis) into a trap.
Lorelei isn't just feisty in the wallpaper sense, she really is, and I find it refreshing to see a heroine who is self-possessed and confident. She does come across as a little dim sometimes, but on the whole she's likeable.
Jack is a little complicated because of his horrible childhood, but we never really get the satisfaction we need from the build-up of his story because the book ends on a total cop-out.
The romance is nice, and I find myself wishing I could see it in a different setting where it would come off as a little more believable. Jack falls hard for Lorelei, and I'm a sucker for a strong guy who is flattened by gut-wrenching love for his gal.
One of my biggest problems with this book is Jack's pirate ship, which seems more like a fantasy rendition of a pirate ship than reality. All of the pirates are nice. Some of the men have wives on board. It seems that everyone and their brother has a cabin on their own, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is supposed to be some late eighteenth century cruise ship or something. Let's just say that if you're looking for gritty pirate fare this isn't the place to find it.
Overall, "Master of Seduction" is very readable, if a little forgettable. The heroine is cool and the hero is pretty much ok. It gets three stars because it balks at real emotional depth and because the story drags in places, then ends unsatisfactorily.
And the cover? Yuck. And wasn't the hero blonde?

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book - not a fantastic Kinley book!, June 12 2004
J. Brennan (Pittsburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master Of Seduction (Mass Market Paperback)
Everyone of the MacAllister series and the knight books I absolutely loved and gave 5 stars too. I just did not feel either Jack nor Lorelei were the compelling characters as in the other books. Jack started out too cockey and too sure of his seductive powers and Lorelei seemed all to sure of her powers to make any man fall to her charms. Neither quite appeared vulnerable enough to really make you feel as strongly for them, as in the other Kinley books. Still I do like Kinley's style of writing and found even this book better than many many other novels out there. And I will give a go at Pirate of her Own about Morgan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pirates romantic?, May 23 2004
This review is from: Master Of Seduction (Mass Market Paperback)
First I would like to say that I read this book and A Pirate of Her Own because I am reading all of Kinley Macgregors books. I am really not into pirate romance. This book should be read before Pirate of Her Own. They are both good reads and well written just like any of Kinley's books. I also recommend reading her romances written under the name Sherrilyn Kenyon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, March 27 2004
Claudia (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master Of Seduction (Mass Market Paperback)
A very good adventure romance, i recommend you to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars sexy, comedic, and ROOOOMANTIC, Feb. 16 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling fun on the high seas, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: Master Of Seduction (Mass Market Paperback)
There is something about her writing style that draws me to her books, the witty conversations, humorous situations, complicated hero - it's a win, win combination.
When Lorelei gets kidnapped by the pirate Black Jack Rhys, she is so certain about everything in her world - mainly all pirates are murdering, raping thieves. Except, every time she is in his company he treats her as a Lady, even if he is out to seduce her! For Jack, women are only good for loving and leaving, hence the title Master of Seduction. However, every time he has a verbal sparing match with the enchanting Lorelei he finds himself more entangled in a web he doesn't understand.
From tantalizing art work to a ship wreck (as only one near death experience), MASTER OF SEDUCTION will enthrall anyone looking for a good story and provide many opportunies to laugh. Oh and when I mention art work, I should add, Lorelei's version of painting fruit... it is the best! I can say no more! As I really enjoyed Jack and Lorelei's story, I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars lively couple,tantilizing romance,unwarranted forgiveness, Feb. 27 2003
This review is from: Master Of Seduction (Mass Market Paperback)
I just discovered Ms Mac Gregor, having first read Claiming the Highlander, which took me to Sin's story and now Jack's and Lorelei's. I appreciate her strong heroines. They have pluck without being obnoxious. They have feminine strength and grace and give as good as they get. My only problem and I'll just address Master of Seduction is the need to tie up loose ends with forgiveness for horrific behavior. In Seduction I could understand Jack's forgiving his mother for her treatment, though that in itself took Christian charity to the limit. But, I find it very hard to believe that anyone could forgive his father. He abandons Jack three times, first with his mother, second after his mother's death leaving him in slavery to a sexual predator, and finally by not letting his maternal grandfather reach him before his death or after with an inheritance that would have sustained him. Ms Mac Gregor creates cruel mean characters to innocent children and then in the last few pages of at least 2 of her books expects all to be forgiven. What is truly hard to fathom is her heroines would facilitate these acts where the victim is expected to make the first move. She should stick to her good use of lively dialog between her lovers and if she wants to have vile characters don't try and wrap it all up neatly in a bow at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars This a Definite Winner, Jan. 8 2003
M. Rondeau (West Springfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master Of Seduction (Mass Market Paperback)
Now this was more like it! It is too bad I had not read it before 'Pirate of Her Own' as this is the prequel that should have been read first. This is not to say that 'Pirate....' was bad it is just that this prequel had the heart and emotion that I felt was missing from the much more lighthearted 'Pirate.!
Lorelei Dupree was the spoiled only child of a wealthy banker engaged to be married to the highly sought after Justin Wallingford. Lorelei had always craved excitement and when Justin had broached the idea of Lorelei helping him to set a trap to catch the infamous pirate 'Black Jack Rhys' she jumped at the opportunity. She of course never thought that Justin would be bested and she would become the hostage of Black Jack!
Black Jack Rhys had not intended to take any hostages but something of the fiery red haired wench had captured his imagination - and the fact that she was the fiancé of the man he hated made the prospect all that much sweeter.
Kidnap her he did and the games began in which two very arrogant people made a wager between them. Lorelei swore she would have him falling in love with her and he swore he could seduce her! Jack may have kidnapped Lorelei but it was his heart that was soon to be held hostage.
Along with some very witty repartee between Lorelei and Jack, which will have you laughing heartily, you will be able to see much more emotional depth of the characters that I felt was missing from her first novel. The attraction that at first enticed them slowly began to strengthen as they spent time with one another and turned into a very dynamic and very sensual love. I highly recommend this story and definitely recommend that it be read before 'Pirate of Her Own'

5.0 out of 5 stars This a Definite Winner, Jan. 8 2003
M. Rondeau (West Springfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews

Master Of Seduction
Master Of Seduction by Macgregor Kinley (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 16 1999)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89