Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on June 11, 2004
But I have to do it here. This book was disappointing to me. Here's why:
The ending stunk. *SPOILER AHEAD* Jack spends his whole life hating Wallingford for many reasons. All of a sudden, when Wallingford shows up on the island, Jack forgives everything because he thinks that's what Lorelei would want. Um, I highly doubt that that much justified anger and hostility would all but dissolve just because Lorelei wished it so.
Lorelei tells both Justin and Jack that she loves them both. Jack is understandably upset by this, but that's the end of it. Yes, I believe you may be able to love two men at once, but I don't find that a particularily compelling storyline in romance novels.
Jack and his crew spend the entire book telling Lorelei how horrible Wallingford and his son are. Yet, no mention is made of anything horrible that Justin has done. Besides being a pasty-faced bore, he really doesn't do anything that deserves Jack or his crew's rage. On the other hand, Wallingford does all of these cruel things and Lorelei seems totally unaffected by it. She never confronts him with the horrible stories she has heard.
Wallingford is supposedly this cruel man. He burns people alive and kills for sport. Now, because he is dying, he becomes this crying mess of a man who everyone forgives and he dies a peaceful death. Come on! And Wallingford's other sons never address the fact that Black Jack is their brother. That is never discussed. Lorelei's reaction to finding out that her ex-fiancee and her current lover are half-brothers is never discussed. It should have been an integral part of the book.
The sex scenes were totally tame. The book is entitled, "Master of Seduction." In my humble opinion, Lorelei did most of the seducing. And once Jack got her into bed, there was nothing all that great about it. This was a man who had supposedly bedded and pleased hundreds and hundreds of women in his lifetime. But his lack of inventiveness and rather boring style of sex belied that fact. For a sex expert, I found him rather lacking. ;)
I wish I could give this 5 stars. This will be the first K.M. book I haven't given 5 stars. But I just found so much lacking in this one. I am going to read, "A Pirate of Her Own" next, so hopefully that's better.
on June 22, 2004
Lorelei Dupree is a spunky Charleston debutant who never met a man she couldn't tame. Recently engaged, she convinces her lieutenant fiancé to let her help him catch the infamous pirate Black Jack Rhys. Dressed as a serving girl in a pub where the pirate is being set up, Lorelei recognizes Rhys as the man she danced with at a society party the night before and immediately fingers him as the man they're after.
Jack Rhys had a rough life. His mother was a prostitute (is that a pirating prerequisite?), but he's raised himself up from a cabin boy to be the captain of his own ship. He kidnaps Lorelei in hopes of luring her fiancé and his father (Jack's nemesis) into a trap.
Lorelei isn't just feisty in the wallpaper sense, she really is, and I find it refreshing to see a heroine who is self-possessed and confident. She does come across as a little dim sometimes, but on the whole she's likeable.
Jack is a little complicated because of his horrible childhood, but we never really get the satisfaction we need from the build-up of his story because the book ends on a total cop-out.
The romance is nice, and I find myself wishing I could see it in a different setting where it would come off as a little more believable. Jack falls hard for Lorelei, and I'm a sucker for a strong guy who is flattened by gut-wrenching love for his gal.
One of my biggest problems with this book is Jack's pirate ship, which seems more like a fantasy rendition of a pirate ship than reality. All of the pirates are nice. Some of the men have wives on board. It seems that everyone and their brother has a cabin on their own, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is supposed to be some late eighteenth century cruise ship or something. Let's just say that if you're looking for gritty pirate fare this isn't the place to find it.
Overall, "Master of Seduction" is very readable, if a little forgettable. The heroine is cool and the hero is pretty much ok. It gets three stars because it balks at real emotional depth and because the story drags in places, then ends unsatisfactorily.
And the cover? Yuck. And wasn't the hero blonde?
on February 26, 2003
I just discovered Ms Mac Gregor, having first read Claiming the Highlander, which took me to Sin's story and now Jack's and Lorelei's. I appreciate her strong heroines. They have pluck without being obnoxious. They have feminine strength and grace and give as good as they get. My only problem and I'll just address Master of Seduction is the need to tie up loose ends with forgiveness for horrific behavior. In Seduction I could understand Jack's forgiving his mother for her treatment, though that in itself took Christian charity to the limit. But, I find it very hard to believe that anyone could forgive his father. He abandons Jack three times, first with his mother, second after his mother's death leaving him in slavery to a sexual predator, and finally by not letting his maternal grandfather reach him before his death or after with an inheritance that would have sustained him. Ms Mac Gregor creates cruel mean characters to innocent children and then in the last few pages of at least 2 of her books expects all to be forgiven. What is truly hard to fathom is her heroines would facilitate these acts where the victim is expected to make the first move. She should stick to her good use of lively dialog between her lovers and if she wants to have vile characters don't try and wrap it all up neatly in a bow at the end.
on March 28, 2002
Master of Seduction is the story of Black Jack Rhys and Lorelei, who I first read about in A Pirate of Her Own. I read them backwards. They both are stand alone books but it is enjoyable to read about Morgan from the second book in this one and Jack and Lorelei in the second book.
Jack is a notorious pirate and Lorelei is helping her English fiance track him down. Jack kidnapps her when he realizes she knows who he really is. He is very strongly attracted to her and she to him but they try and fight thier attraction until passion wins out. Jack is deeply troubled by his past and Lorelei must break thru it all to get to the good man beneath the hard shell of Pirate.
This book is filled with humor and adventure and passion and tenderness. I really enjoyed it and look forward to more by this author. I would really like to read a book about Kit Jack's son when he grows up.
on June 12, 2004
Everyone of the MacAllister series and the knight books I absolutely loved and gave 5 stars too. I just did not feel either Jack nor Lorelei were the compelling characters as in the other books. Jack started out too cockey and too sure of his seductive powers and Lorelei seemed all to sure of her powers to make any man fall to her charms. Neither quite appeared vulnerable enough to really make you feel as strongly for them, as in the other Kinley books. Still I do like Kinley's style of writing and found even this book better than many many other novels out there. And I will give a go at Pirate of her Own about Morgan.
on July 25, 2001
This book was good, but not great. I bought it on the absolutely glowing reviews here. Ms. Macgregor is a good story teller, although I thought this book seemed to be missing some detail. I liked the interjection of humor, which is often missing in romance novels. One last note, and this is my pet peeve, the picture of the half naked man on the front does not in any way reflect Jack as written. He is supposed to be blond. Why do they put those stupid pictures on anyway, it makes it impossible to leave the house for fear someone might see and make fun of your reading choice.
on January 24, 2000
What do you expect from a pirate called the Master Of Seduction? Grand passion? Interesting and body-stretching positions? Well, the hero here prefers the missionary position. What a disappointment.
And the story isn't anything new as well. It's readable, but I can't help wondering where they hid the real Master of Seduction.
on February 22, 2000
I enjoyed it, but it read like a generic romance. Her description of Jack Rhys is incredible and the story line is interesting. But it just left me sort of flat. If you like romance with not much else in the plotline - read it, you won't be disappointed.
on July 30, 2001
The hype for this book did not live up to the content. The "Master" of Seduction was not even close to being a master and in fact seemed at times fairly naive. Next time I will be more selective in my choice of MacGregor books.