5.0 out of 5 stars Very good
Met my needs to use it as a resource book for teaching ESL students to read. I recommend it for ESL
Published 13 months ago by Sid Harrison

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dull
I read this book to my 10 year old and found it to be DULL. The author describes everything in tiring details, and is not interesting to an adult reader. Recommend Pollyanna instead. This may be better for 6-7 year old.
Published on Dec 21 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, March 13 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to remember, Nov. 5 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Mandy (Paperback)
Mandy is a ten-year-old girl who lives in a orphanage.One fine spring day she finds a cottage on the other side of the orphanage wall. It has a beautiful room that is completely made of shells. I enjoyed this book because I like the way Mandy uses her curiosity. Also because, she is very determined to do things. She has a good sense of humor and knows that someday all her dreams will come true.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Place To Call Our Own, April 12 2004
This review is from: Mandy (Paperback)
I simply adore this book from start to finish. Mandy is a girl we all can relate to in one way or another. Simple, sweet, idealistic, and yes, she isn't perfect. When she come upon a small hidden cottage near her orphanage grounds, this little girl sets out to make it a place to call it her own -A refuge she can run to and place she can care for to ease her loneliness. We feel her disappointments and rejoice in her victories, we even feel the love for those whom she loves. This is a book about longing, wishes, and finding happiness. A pleasureable read for anyone who has ever felt alone in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars One girl...One secret...One whole new life!, Jan. 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Mandy (Paperback)
From the minute I picked Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards I kew it would be a great book! How many times did I read it, 5 times. This is my favorite book of all times!
I would definatly recomed this book to everyone I know!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, Nov. 5 2003
Emily (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mandy (Paperback)
Well, this book blew me away! i simply loved it !!!!!. Its enchanting, exciting and most of all (and this is what i personally look for in a book) it has that kind of effect that makes you want to be IN the story. It is all about a girl, 10, who lives at an orphanage. Another i liked about this story is that the orpahnage isn't like all the other orphanages in othee stories. In other stories or most of them the ophanage is always bad and gloomy. Well, thats not the case here! Anywho Mandy climbs over the "big wall" which divinds the orphanages property, for the very first time and find a cottage. She starts working on it and fixing it up. It is a WONDERFUL story and if your looking to relax and read a good book then this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite childhood books, Sept. 10 2003
Nancy Guerin (Avon Lake, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mandy (School & Library Binding)
I read this book when I was a girl and it was one of may favorites. I then read it to my young daughter and it was one of those books that you hate to see end and you think about for weeks afterwards.She was just as enthralled. The images are lovely and the story is one for every little girl.It is written with that wonderful English flair. We now buy it for a birthday gift each time she is invited to a party and describe the story to each recipient. Now her friends are buying it for other friends and relatives. To me it is a true classic, right up there with Heidi and the Little Princess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandy, May 8 2003
This review is from: Mandy (Paperback)
I absolutley love this book. My Grandma gave it to me as a present when I was 8 or 9 and I didn't even really like to read, but this was an amaizing story that really captures the reader. Mandy was so interesting to read about. I couldn't put the book down when I started reading it. I would fall asleep reading it! It was an easy book to read, no difficult words or ideas, so it would be ideal for a younger child, but it was also so interesting that an older person could definatey enjoy it. It is still my favorite book. I've loved this book for almost 10 years and I have no idea how many times I read it. But it's still good and draws me into the fantasy ever time I read it. I'd reccomend this book for a mom to read to her daughter. I'm sure you'll enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandy, March 27 2003
Jessica Cho (Cerritos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Mandy
By: Julie Edwards
Reviewed by: J. Cho
Period: 1
This book is about an orphanage girl named, Mandy. One day when she accidentally went over the wall that separates the orphan and somebody¡¯s property. She finds a small cottage. She thinks it over and wants to make the garden liven up more. For the garden looked very empty and weeds was everywhere. So everyday she would come and spend her time with the garden, and she would earn money to buy flowers, and she would ask different people for the tools that she would need. Soon she became sick and she couldn¡¯t visit the cottage as much as she wanted to.
What I liked about this book is that the book is interesting. It brings hope to you. ¡°During prayers she asked especially that her garden would flourish and her plants grow strong and healthy.¡± Her hopes are so high, and she expects much stuff from them, but sometimes she gets disappointments. For example, she doesn¡¯t get as much growth she has expected of the flowers, but at the same times she does enjoy that at the same time. When she¡¯s disappointed, at the same time she¡¯s happy too.
One thing that I don¡¯t really like about this book thought is the fact that some of the stuff won¡¯t come true and if an orphanage girl were to read this she might get hope and always mess up in life. For example, towards the end of the book the cottage¡¯s owner adopts Mandy because she has always worked in the garden so hard. Even though there are more reasons, but the reason they first noticed her was because of the garden. ¡°¡±Of course, I paid a bit more attention to the Shell Cottage,¡±¡± he smiled.
My favorite part of this book was the SECRET ADMIRER letters. Almost everyday after Mandy¡¯s flowers began to grow a secret admirer would write her a letter. He/she would fix up the garden, leave more seeds or flowers, clean up the place a little, repair some of the small gates, and much more other stuff. Mandy loved the letters. She thought it was a fantasy, and imaged a secret admirer to be all sorts of things. She would look forward to go to the cottage even more. Her hopes went up everyday, and she was persistent to get there, even though the person in charge of the orphanage thought it was bad for her to go out in the cold, but she still went.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a treasure!, Jan. 13 2003
Traci Wiggins (Nenana, AK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mandy (Paperback)
I read this book about 25 years ago when I was a young girl, and I still remember the feelings that I had when I read it - it was that powerful. I identified with wanting my own space and the feeling that something should change but I didn't know what it was. It was a story of maturing and growing up, it was a story of comfort and love, it was a story of gardening and cottages and imagination and joy. It was absolutely wonderful. Thank you Julie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandy, Nov. 26 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Mandy (Paperback)
I am a student at Waldron Mercy Academy. (ADH)
The story takes place in a stone orphanage close to the woods. In the orphanage lives a 10-year-old girl named Mandy. Secretly Mandy's heart pounds for a family and a place to call home. One day Mandy follows her heart and travels in the woods. There in the woods she finds a cottage and a little garden. Mandy loves it so much that she dreads leaving. When she gets back to the orphanage she swore herself to secrecy. Soon Mandy falls terribly ill and is forbidden to leave the orphanage. When
no one was around Mandy sprints towards the cottage. Outside Mandy hears loud crashing thunder and is so sick she can't even move. The only person who can reach her is a secret admirer.
This book kept me reading from page 1 to end. You should defiantly read this book.

ARRAY(0xa2747528)

Mandy
Mandy by Julie Edwards (Paperback - Aug. 3 2006)
CDN$ 8.50 CDN$ 8.08