5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

Published on Sept. 27 2009 by Book-Rants(dot)blogspot(dot)com

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok. but not good.
Published on Jan. 21 2011 by Michelle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Sept. 27 2009
This review is from: Ink Exchange (Paperback)

The tattoo does bring changes--not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils

Things I liked:
-I loved that this had three pov's, Niall, Leslie, and Irial.
-I was thinking before I read this that I would hate Irial, but he's actually a pretty good guy considering he is the King of the Dark Court, and not to mention really hot.
-Niall, I loved this character, he was so complex. I loved that he got to be a bit more independent from Keenan.
-I missed Seth but the parts he was in I loved, he was so sweet caring for Leslie when he was able.
-The plot always kept me interested, Melissa Marr has a way of showing the world of Faerie that just draws me in completely.
-This was one of my favorite lines from Irial 'Sometimes love means letting go when you want to hold on tighter'.
-Melissa Marr sure can write, it's descriptive, beautiful, engaging and it just flows nicely.
-You really get to see inside the Dark Court in this one, which I loved the way it was described was beautifully done, especially the way Marr described the way emotions and feelings taste to the Dark Fae.
-I love Niall, he's everything a love interest should be, hot, scarred, knows how to fight, protective, broody etc

Things I disliked:
-Irial's smoking, he is already the ultimate bad boy, being the King of all things Dark, does he really need to smoke too?
-The Fae are bound to so many rules, it seems like faeries are always torturing each other. I think it would have been nice to have some justice within the courts, that fae could be held accountable for their actions.

Overall I really enjoyed this book, I still think I liked the first one, Wicked Lovely, better but this was definitely entertaining and I will be for sure reading the next one in the series. I give this a 4.75 out of 5

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok. but not good., Jan. 21 2011
This review is from: Ink Exchange (Paperback)
I found that I liked the first book Wicked Lovely more then this one. This one I found that I was just bored through out most of it. I liked the characters well enough; we were re-introduced to Leslie and Niall from Wicked Lovely. There wasn't too much story with Ash, Keenan, Seth or Doria. I found I got confused in some spots and I think that's because while I was reading my mind was wandering... thinking about other things... then I would come back to what I was reading and didn't really care to go back and re-read what I missed. It just didn't keep my attention. There wasn't enough going on and I think part of it is I'm just not a big fan of the faery genre. I decided not to go on with reading the rest of the series, this one was hard enough for me to get through. There are a lot of other books and authors that I enjoy a lot so I think I will go on to reading something that keeps my attention. Thank you though to the other people who do take time to write reviews because I did go and read the reviews for the next two books to kind of see where the story went. I think I got a pretty good idea and that is good enough for me on this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars You can either take it or leave it., Aug. 24 2010
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ink Exchange (Paperback)
I love Irial! what a perfect character. He just oozed sexiness and charm. I really do like the idea of the Dark Court and it makes perfect sense how Irial can lead it - he absolutely fits the role like a well worn comfortable shirt. The characters that make up the Dark Court were fascinating and well done. Leslie was also well written. Living in a horrible home environment, an extremely horrible brother, and a father who's hardly there, it's no wonder she's so filled with negative emotions and thoughts. I like her though. I think she's a much better character than Aislinn (I still don't like her don't think I ever will unless she undergoes a complete personality makeover in the next books).

What bothered me a lot about Aislinn is her reluctance to tell Leslie (who happens to be a good friend) about the faerie world and she had a hunch on what was going on..so why the reluctance? it wasn't just her though, it was Seth too. Why didn't they at least warn her or tell her about the faerie world?. These two were just so frustrating to read. I never liked Aislinn in the first place, and I used to like Seth but now, I'm not so sure.

The plot was all right, although I found it a little dry. (Yet I also found Wicked Lovely rather dry too) I'm not sure why, perhaps it's the writing style or perhaps I'm just not really that interested in faeries. I'm sure fans of this series would enjoy this book. The little twist in the end got me good and because of that I will probably read the rest of this series. Although it's not the best I've read, it's certainly not the worst.

Overall, it's a great companion book to Wicked Lovely and the little twist at the end will have fans wanting more. In my opinion, you could either take it or leave it.

3.0 out of 5 stars How come so many bad reviews?, July 18 2009
Trang T. Ly (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ink Exchange (Paperback)
Surprisingly I've read quite a few bad reviews of this book...and I'm surprised because I thought it was pretty good...

I was a little skeptical of this book since most of the main characters from Wicked Lovely (who I loved) became secondary characters... and Niall (who was barely present) and Leslie (who was rather an annoying nobody in) became the stars of the Wicked Lovely sequel.

Anyway, I do admit that Ink Exchange has a rather slow start, but it definitely picks up about halfway through and ends up as a pretty good novel.

Again Marr proves the reason her books sell is the characters. They all provide interesting insight into each of the fey courts...those that are good are not all good and those bad are surprisingly good if that makes any sense. The characters from the previous novel are all given tons of new dimension which makes you both love and hate them more.

I think plot wise, the ending mostly is it's saving point...although you do get a happy ending, it is pretty much slightly tainted with darkness all around. Compromise seems to be a running theme in Marr endings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, March 10 2008
This review is from: Ink Exchange (Hardcover)
Torn up inside after her drug-dealer brother betrays her in the most horrible way, Leslie puts on a brave front with her friends, pretending her drunken dad isn't letting the bills pile up and hiding all her pain. Hoping to take back control over her body, she decides to get a tattoo, and picks out a special design at the tattoo parlor she often hangs out at. Unbeknownst to Leslie, that tattoo is the symbol of Irial, the king of the faerie Dark Court, designed to allow him to filter the unpleasant emotions that feed his court through her into him and his people.

As Leslie finds her vision changing and her feelings shifting in unpredictable ways, Niall, a faerie of the Summer Court who has always admired her, steps in, hoping to help her and keep Irial away. He has his own tangled feelings about Irial, whom he once counted as a friend. But as Leslie sinks further under Irial's thrall, enjoying the escape from the hurt and fear she'd been living with, only she can decide when to pull away--or whether she would rather stay with him, after all.

INK EXCHANGE is a darkly imaginative novel set in the same world as Marr's first novel, WICKED LOVELY. Readers will enjoy exploring the lives of some of that novel's minor characters and seeing more of the shadowy side of the faerie courts. They may find Leslie, Niall, and Irial less engaging than the spirited and perhaps more sympathetic narrators of WICKED LOVELY, but the trio still make for a fascinating "love" triangle as each deals with conflicting emotions and tries to decide what is right both for him or herself and for those who are counting on them.

The imagery is striking and evocative, and the politics of the different faerie courts is intriguing to explore. A great book for dark fantasy fans.

Reviewed by: Lynn Crow

3.0 out of 5 stars it had potential, May 19 2008
elfdart - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ink Exchange (Hardcover)
well, the first book, wicked lovely, was a decent read, so i was expecting i guess more of the same in this book. instead the author attempted to take on darker subject matter and instead of fleshing this out to the full, she skirted around the issues and didn't really address them, kind of making the story/ characters fall flat. basically a pg book took on r rated issues but kept them pg, relying on suggestion to get a point across rather than just addressing the issues. because of this the plot had a kind of cardboard feel to it. i kind of felt like she kind of skimmed through the plot as well. events took place, but there was no conviction to anything and the author didn't really follow through and finish an event. i thought the ending was kind of rushed.

overall decent set-up but poor execution.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Seth but still good, May 18 2011
This review is from: Ink Exchange (Paperback)
I was really hoping to get my fix of Seth in this novel but little did I know it focused of Aislinn's friend Leslie. I was a bit disappointed that Seth wasn't in this novel but it was still pretty good.

I liked being able to get the perspective of the Dark Court, where are the cruel fairies are from. We do see a soft side of Irial the king of the Dark Court which you'd wouldn't expect him to have a soft side. I liked how even though he pretty much ruined Leslie's life he still cares a lot about her. It was kinda sweet in a weird way.

I'm crossing my fingers that the third novel has my fix of Seth in it because I dunno what I am going to do if I don't get my Seth fix.

The Rating:

4.5 out of 5

For more reviews please visit [...]

Ink Exchange
Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (Hardcover - April 22 2008)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.33