5.0 out of 5 stars Fun summer read with fascinating facts!
Published on July 8 2009 by Sara Chung

2.0 out of 5 stars Follow the formula to financial success !
Published on July 26 2009 by Ian Bennett

2.0 out of 5 stars Follow the formula to financial success !, July 26 2009
Ian Bennett (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Doomsday Key Intl (Paperback)
If you are looking for a formulaic "Custleresque" novel, with unreal characters of superior intellect and physical prowess fighting horrendous villains who want to dominate the world...this is for you. He's done it in his previous novels, and he's doing it again. Same "super" characters with cartoonish qualities in a ... secret agency with an unlimited budget and all the hyper weapons you can imagine. No trouble is so great that our heroes can't get away with the help of an unrevealed plot point. Deus ex machina about every five chapters. Just as Custler became a formulaic hack, so has Rollins. Try Daniel Silva instead for a more interesting character.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sigma Force returns, Aug. 19 2009
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Sigma Force returns in The Doomsday Key.

Commander Gray Pierce and his Sigma team are sent to investigate when three murders on three continents are linked. All the victims were branded with a Druid symbol. A discovery in a peat bog in England is unthinkably tied to a bio tech company producing genetically modified seeds and crops. The bio tech company - Viatus- has revived something that may have been better off left buried in the past. Gray and his team race around the world to discover the key - the Doomsday Key - that may be the only way to stopping Viatus and saving the world.

Rollins writes non stop adventure with lots of action. His characters are bigger than life and twice as tough. There are sub plots involving interpersonal relationships, but the book is plot driven. What's intriguing is the appendix at the end of the book - Truth or Fiction. Many of the story lines Rollins uses in his plots are true. Fascinatingly and frighteningly true, combining modern day science and the mysteries of the past.

If you're looking for a rollicking adventure tale, you'd be hard pressed to beat Rollins.

Fans of Steve Berry and Clive Cussler would enjoy James Rollins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun summer read with fascinating facts!, July 8 2009
Sara Chung (SF, CA) - See all my reviews
I have come to love James Rollins reads for great action adventure tied into fascinating historical and archeological themes. His books have taken over a place that used to be reserved for Cussler's Dirk Pitt adventures. Doomsday Key started out kind of weak for me, the action is there but it all felt a bit too formulaic. I could almost read Rollins mind as he was writing "Ok, I need a car chase here and then a shoot out followed by...." Thankfully this feeling did not last as I got deeper into the story and the surrounding mystery. This time out the ancient Druids and the mystery of Stonehenge play a part in the plot, and in typical Rollins fashion more true unusual facts and pieces of ancient mysteries are woven into his fictional mystery. I agree with another reviewer, one of my favorite parts of a Rollins Book is reading the after-words and learning what the truth really is! This is another solid adventure read From Rollins and his fans should be more than satisfied.

If you're a fan of action adventure steeped in ancient mystery do try "A Tourist In The Yucatan!" A gritty thriller wrapped in the mystery of the ancient Maya!

4.0 out of 5 stars A SIGMA SEQUEL, Dec 1 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Doomsday Key: A Sigma Force Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
James Rollins has penned a number of excellent escapist novels. I would recommend Ice Hunt, Subterranean, Amazonia and Sandstorm to anyone who enjoys adventuring science/techno-thrillers. I would be more reluctant to do so with this installment of his Sigma series though.

This is yet another thoroughly researched, keep-surviving-by-the-skin-of-your-teeth adventure. Less pronounced in this book yet still present is Rollins' tendency to move from cliffhanger to cliffhanger, with small breathers in between. It is a book to enjoy during a flight or a rainy weekend - and it will keep you turning pages for hours. However, for a number of reasons this would had been a much better book had it not been yet another Sigma sequel.

Sigma simply does not work that good for me. I cannot buy the small number of people undertaking such critical tasks. In fact, Sigma is so understaffed that not only has to rely on certified idiots (sorry Kowalski, but you know it is true...) but even the director himself has to go into the field. They operate all over the world under thin pretexts, they do not even seem to be official sanctioned. And to add insult to injury, most new recruits seem to suffer the Star Trek's away-party odd crew-member fate...

On top of that, Sigma seems to deal with one crisis after another while under attack from both a shadow power group and other government secret services. For a writer who takes great pride in the accuracy of his facts interweaved with his fiction, this requires a continuous leap of faith.

I can understand how having a book franchise can work for both the writer and his publisher. The first has a set framework of characters to weave his new plot with whereas the later has a more or less loyal fun-base to fall back to. However, they should both keep in mind that this does not always work for the reader.

This is a 3.5 stars novel but I rounded it up because Rollins has given a number of techno-thrillers I greatly enjoyed in the past.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doomsday Key, July 19 2009
L. D. Godfrey - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Doomsday Key Intl (Paperback)
I enjoyed the Doomsday Key by James Rollins. The author takes historical fact and modern day technology (some of it fiction and some of it not) and weaves together a great read. He makes his books enjoyable and interesting but doesn't bog you down with technical details or endless descriptions of this and that. The plot moves along and stays on point. I found that the Doomsday Key entertained me and also made me think 'what if ' a couple of times. This book was typical Rollins with plenty of bad guys and things that go boom.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not is best, July 14 2009
This review is from: The Doomsday Key Intl (Paperback)
Okay people, even if it's summer that doesn't mean the writer should slack on the writing. Unfortunately Rollins felt to me like he ran out of steam. Once again many facts are facinating and shows Rollins imagination, but this time the book felt like reheated food, good but not like the fresh stuff. Mayby it's the subject, maybe I read to many of his books in a row,I don't know. I am still telling you to read it if you are a fan like me, I love Gray.

His most deceptive point was not giving us enough on Seichan background and what's the deal with Sigma and the Guild. Is she a rogue or a double etc. Let me know what you think.

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy Summer Read, Aug. 5 2009
C. Kemp - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Doomsday Key Intl (Paperback)
This is a good book to read in the summer. The plot it formulaic, with poor chacteization. Take the book camping or on a trip to burn time. There are some intresting historical facts, although im not sure how realistic they are. I love how all his books somehow find a way to link all the characters assignments in unbelievable ways, causing them to suprise! on the same case, even if it doesnt really add up. The ending is kind of a suprise in comparison with the predictable plot line leaves a minor, but predictable "cliff hanger". Id recomend it for an easy summe read with mild mild suspence. It's hard to build suspence, when the whole book is car chases through guns, fire, explosions etc from a want to be MI6.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow-No unhuman creatures, July 23 2009
I am a big James Rollins fan. Boy was I surprised, when I finished this one I realized that there was not one sub-human or weird animal in this whole book. Only a few killer bees. Still a very good read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid, July 23 2009
Steve Z. McCauley "szm" (Montreal, QC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Doomsday Key Intl (Paperback)
After plodding my way through the first 150 pages of this I wonder if it is worth my while continuing. The characters are one dimensional, every one encountered is a genius, or brilliant, or a superman/woman. Indeed, I can't say I feel any empathy for a single character encountered thus far. The scene leading up to and in the Roman Colosseum is farcical. I've encountered at least a dozen non sequiturs that I've been too lazy to document because I don't want to waste too much more of my life on this book. It seems to me like the author wrote this in one go and passed it off to be printed without any editing process in between.

Dan Brown on steroids is the only characterization I can come up with for this novel. And that is not a compliment.

The Doomsday Key: A Sigma Force Novel
The Doomsday Key: A Sigma Force Novel by James Rollins (Mass Market Paperback - May 10 2010)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69