Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on October 29, 2009
I thought this book was fairly interesting and would actually give it a 3.5 to 4, but not over a 4. His first premise, that improved access to abortion is related to crime reduction is not necessarily correlated and there could well be any number of factors that result in lower crime rates (i.e. better opportunities for education, increased overall wealth, improved standards of living, etc). Some of his other points do seem to be correlated based on my own experience. For instance, his comments about realtors recommending a lower selling price in order for them to quickly sell the house is quite accurate. I sold my house this year and if I hadn't done my own research, I would have undoubtedly taken the realtor at face value and sold my house for $20,000 less than what I did. That being said, regardless of what any realtor, author, or anyone else says, one must look at all the options and information, even if it takes effort to do so.
All in all, it was an interesting easy, quick read but just consider all the facts or other points of view before taking what he has to say at face value or becoming a "know it all" at parties. If you enjoy this sort of thing, you will probably also enjoy the book "Sway," which is written in a similar style and based on human responses to various situations.
on December 30, 2006
Steven Levitt is clearly a brilliant man. An intellectual that isn't afraid to rock the boat with some controversial yet well-thought ideas. The book identifies some very interesting trends and presents them in a straight-forward readable manner.

However, Levitt's ideas are not explored in enough detail to sufficiently enforce his arguments. It almost seems that the publishers have dumbed it down to the level of the ordinary person in order to sell more books. I haven't read the expanded edition, but I hope Levitt provides some of the background that is lacking in this edition.
on January 30, 2007
I bought this book after I saw the author on the Daily show. It looked interesting enough, a bunch of random statistics that I would likely not have read elsewhere.

I was anticipating hundreds of short brief interesting factoids instead I got a couple long winded stories about Sumo wrestler corruption and crack dealers living with their parents and working at mcdonalds to pay the bills. These were interesting stories but I would have prefered a lot more of them with less filler and more raw numbers.

The book is easy to read but I would reccomend checking it out at the library before commiting to own a copy. Im trying to figure out who I can give this book to now as once you know that sumo's are corrupt theres no sence reading it a second time.
on June 24, 2015
This book is for those who start learning Statistics, as it provides good examples how you can interpret statistical results.
If you expect something like new "Economics", you will be disappointed. This is a book for a fun, but admittedly a lot of insights are involved.
on November 15, 2015
An interesting book that gives you a different perspective.. however some of the theories get so farfetched and paranoid that you lose interest 3/4 of the way through. I am filled with regret of paying $12 for this e-book.