Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on December 31, 2002
HI: i can't find out from Help how to edit the prior review I wrote explaining that because I found Lattimore's translations of the Gospels&Revelation inaccurate, I wondered how good His Homer could be. So, consider this the correction. The prior review was way too strongly-worded. I meant what I said, but it wasn't as soft as it should have been.
No one is perfect, and there is YET no good English translation of the New Testament, so why should Lattimore be expected to get right what NO one has ever gotten right? So, please bear this thought in mind as you see me lambast Lattimore in my other review, which has the words "ek koilia" in it (vocabulary form).
I heartily apologize for the other review's tone!
on May 5, 2002
Have you ever imagined yourself traveling the world and discovering new lands and inhabitants that no one knew existed? Homer uses this idea in his classic epic, The Odyssey, to capture the attention of his readers as they are taken on the adventures of the main hero Odysseus. The epic functions on two levels, one following the hero on his journey and the other showing the trials that Odysseus' family must face in his absence. During the time period Homer existed, the idea of a hero greatly appealed to the general public. Even today, the idea of battling a Cyclops or defeating suitors in an archery contest captivates audiences to the point where they do not want to stop reading. In the end, Odysseus returns to his homeland, Ithaca, after enduring a great number of challenges. We are able to share in the emotions of the hero at this moment and share in his joy of conquering the tests he encountered. This is what makes The Odyssey a truly great epic that will stand the test of time.
on December 30, 2002
I'll have to get the book to find out, I guess. I found several of his Gospel renderings inexcusable, suffering from the same idiocy as 1st-year seminary students (i.e., translating ek koilia as "in the womb", when it only and always means "out from the womb" as any 1st-year text can prove). I didn't see him render ANY of the Atticisms in Gospels as Atticisms, for another example. So, I'm skeptical.
Then again, with Homer he's not got the same politically-correct strictures. Will have to see...