5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing amazing book
Published on Oct. 22 2007 by Angela Sheppard

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
My children have been born and raised on fresh gargen veggies. Their appetizer and main course is heavily on the veggie side so I was very interested in this book. But I was very disappointed in the end.

Published on Dec 21 2007 by Morticia Adams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Dec 21 2007
This review is from: Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food (Hardcover-spiral)

As other cooks below have pointed out, Jessica should have taken more time to ensure that the ingredients and amounts all worked out and were pretty much foolproof before endorsing them.(I wonder if she really used some or just added them from other recipe books on the market!) For years my mother did exactly what Jessica has tried..only my mother perfected the process. (We all think SHE should write a book!) I initially bought the book to add to the couple of recipies I did have from my mother, unaware that she had many more tucked away, until....

....I tried several, including the chicken nuggets and spaghetti. Nasty. Mom came to visit and I showed her the book. Without having to try the recipies she pointed out the flaws in many...including the ones that failed for me. We rewrote the recipies with different healthy ingredients, balanced them and they were successful. So, Jessica's book is full of pen marks. I should change the title because it's not her stuff anymore...it's "Deceptively Grandma's"!!!!

I also agree with another poster's comment. This book is strangely VERY similar to one that sold earlier in the year..and like others my friends have that are a few years older. There are many combinations that work with purees...why did Jessica's book have to be so much a clone of the other one? Interestingly enough the failed recipies seem like the only ones that were not taken from another source. Did Jessica scour the net and other sources for foods made from purees and throw them in a book? Very few are original. I could not find the chicken nuggets anywhere else so that one may have been hers. But again..it was an abismal failure.

So in summary, the book contains recipies that one can find in other books..and several that fail miserably. The only saving grace was my mom's changes. Otherwise the book would not have been worth buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the reviews carefully before purchase..., Feb. 7 2008
T. Martin - See all my reviews
I'm don't understand why there are reviewers giving this 3 stars (or more) when they haven't tried the recipes or, worse, they have tried the recipes and they have failed. I hope that potential buyers will read all the reviews carefully before making their decision as to whether to purchase this book.

My review is as follows: The concept is wonderful, the book is beautiful and the pictures are gorgeous; but this is a COOKBOOK and the recipes are disasterous. Let's face it...a Mercedes Benz is gorgeous too but if it doesn't have an engine, do you really want to buy it?

So far the items I have made from this book have not cooked properly (for example, the banana bread is heavy and moisture-laden and resembles a brick) and the vegetables are not well "hidden" as promised. Ginger spice cake with carrots and broccoli tastes like....carrot and broccoli bread. And I also ask myself, hmmm...hasn't this been done before and better? After grinding away at the broccoli and carrots with my food processor I had cause to recall my mother's wonderful "pumpkin loaf" (as we called it) and the zucchini nut bread of my youth. These also have vegetables cooked into them but they are yummier and more successful.

In short, this book was a disappointment and I'm sorry that it is too late to return it. It's a shame really because it seemed like a great idea. Buyer beware, as they say, and please note the content of some of the other reviewers of this *cook* book. I observed a 4(?) star rating from a reviewer who gave the book as a gift and has clearly doled out their rating based on concept alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy this again..., Oct. 26 2007
Chelsea Almeida (Edmonton, AB) - See all my reviews
I have no problem with sneaking a little extra veg. into my kids diets, so I ordered this book and was so excited to try out the receipe's. It is a beautiful book and I like the look of it, however the following are the ACTUAL result I received:
1. Beet pancakes- while the pancakes did turn out pink, they did not cook the whole way through, they were completely raw inside,(I have made many a pancake in my time and have never had this problem)
2. Beet chocolate cake - it was OKAY.. too much work for an OKAY cake.
3. Chicken Nugets- ABSOLUTE DISSASTER!! WAY too much flax meal in the bread crumbs, the broccoli could be seen through the bread crumbs, takes aweful, all burned (I kept having to add more oil to get through the batch) and the end result was greasy, bland and gross.
4. Mozzarella sticks, WHAT A MESS! the cauliflower was very over powering and they tasted aweful. I ended up freezing them over night so they would cook without becoming a melted mess.
5.Spagetti and meatballs - The meatballs were actually really good, I will make them again, the sauce was WAY too watery, I don't know if that's how they eat it in Manhattan, but it was like soup.

So 1 out of 5 worked. I'm not sure that the reciepe's were writen properly because they balance of ingrediant's seems off.

It's too bad they weren't better, I still really like Jessica, but unfortunately her reciepe's aren't very good.
I wouldn't recomend this book to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of a shelf space, May 22 2009
Lena M "Leens" (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I cook quite a bit and have an extensive library of cookbooks. This book was given to me as a gift since I have a young toddler at home. Well, I hate to say it, but I don't like this book at all. I find Jessica's suggestion of making and freezing a big batch of purees very time consuming. Also, the recipes are basic and nothing special. I could just as easily sneak pureed veggies into my own recipes. I give this book a thumbs down, nothing original or good for that matter....

3.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously Marketed, Jan. 23 2008
Maureen Kerr "Marketing Maven" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
Granted my initial introduction of this book was from the only time I watched Oprah in 2007 and seeing Jessica Seinfeld whipping up a few recipes with the Queen of Media dipping in and appearing to be overjoyed with the nearly gourmet outcome. The next thing I knew, my good friend was showing the same cookbook to me in her kitchen and said that it was selling out at our local bookstore. My mom eventually gets it for me for Christmas - a bunch of her friends got their daughters Deceptively Delicious (but really for their grandchildren). My copy sat on the counter for almost 3 weeks before my [...] asked to try out a recipe and we had fun grinding and chopping together. I haven't so much followed strict recipes as I have just started steaming and blending veggies and deceptively hiding them throughout many of our meals now and for this I am grateful as it wouldn't have occurred to me if not for Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook. Well done and thank-you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing amazing book, Oct. 22 2007
Angela Sheppard (alberta, canada) - See all my reviews
My son, the pickiest eater I have ever met ate a full serving of spinach yesturday. Hooray!!! This is crazy we made the chicken nuggets, I was wary about what would happen as he dosn't always eat chicken nuggets but he ate four very willingly. As for me, (we did add extra salt) these were the best chicken nuggets I have ever had. The ideas in this book are a godsend and so far the recipes have been delicious. Thank you Jessica!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good Dessert Recipes, Jan. 6 2008
Mrs. Tammy Lang "tj7933" (Abbotsford, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
It wasn't until I read the reviews that I learned that this book was 'taken' from another one. I was disappointed but not surprised. I have made both the chocolate cake and the chocolate muffins. I made some alterations as I made them, and they turned out perfect in my mind and my kids are eating beets, cauliflower and avocados because of it.

The disappointing thing is that I am a cook and I wanted to know the techniques and study that went behind it so I could make amendments to my own recipes. Which purees tasted the strongest and which one should never be used in certain situations. This book does not provide that information.

I enjoy the book and have used it (for desserts) extensively over the past few weeks since Christams, so I gave it three stars, but I was disappointed that it did not provide the information necessary to take the techniques forward into your own kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and great gift idea!, April 16 2009
M. Douglas - See all my reviews
This cookbook is a fabulous idea in helping mom (and dads) to be able to get your child to eat their vegetables. My daughter introduced me to it because her daughter is such a picky eater. She always has pureed vegetables frozen in her freezer in baggies ready to add in her everyday cooking. Her husband has no clue about how much healthier he is eating as well. I recently purchased a couple of these books to give as baby shower presents along with a child's plate, bowl, cup and cutlery set. Starting off with this mindset helps new parents to be ready for their new picky eaters and to start before the little ones even know. I have suggested this book to several friends and they are thrilled with it as well. Great job Jessica. I was surprised though to see that Jessica doesn't use wholewheat pasta and items like that to begin with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beans in Cookies, Oct. 3 2008
Joanna (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
After trying out some of the recipes, it wouldn't now occur to my kids that one could make cookies without beans :-) So, some of the book's ideas are very creative.

The ideas in this book, both for always having pureed veggies on hand, and for the sheer creativity of some of the recipes, are quite inspiring.

Having said that, however, not all the ingredients are listed in the quantities that best go with the recipes, e.g. the chocolate cookie dough is too thick (and, incidentally, works better with red kidney rather than garbanzo beans, and with milk rather than dark chocolate chips:-).

Also, I found the multiple course dishes that she claims to serve Jerry + their three kids at every meal somewhat over the top...

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids!, Oct. 9 2007
Janet Pole "Canuckie Cookie" (London, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
WONDERFUL!
I bought this book now knowing that Jessica Seinfeld was "Mrs. Jerry Seinfeld" ... not that that should be a factor in buying this book.
As a person who usually only eats vegetables in the form of salad, spuds or corn, this book has been a shot of WONDERFUL to the health content level of MY food, at age 40! With the "hidden treasures" in these recipes I no longer need to feel guilty that I am "just having a salad" along with my meals.
I saw Jessica on "Oprah" AFTER I had purchased my book and she is the absolute buzz in the neighbourhood. Any one who I know that does not have or does not intend to buy this book if getting one for Christmas!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food
Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food by Jessica Seinfeld (Hardcover-spiral - Sept. 20 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.78