5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up
Works on kids and husbands!

I'm not going to write a novel about the products I buy, if they suck ill let people know but otherwise you get a 2-3 word review then this message
Published 10 months ago by Nin

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
My children have been born and raised on fresh gargen veggies. Their appetizer and main course is heavily on the veggie side so I was very interested in this book. But I was very disappointed in the end.

Published on Dec 21 2007 by Morticia Adams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Dec 21 2007
This review is from: Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food (Hardcover-spiral)

As other cooks below have pointed out, Jessica should have taken more time to ensure that the ingredients and amounts all worked out and were pretty much foolproof before endorsing them.(I wonder if she really used some or just added them from other recipe books on the market!) For years my mother did exactly what Jessica has tried..only my mother perfected the process. (We all think SHE should write a book!) I initially bought the book to add to the couple of recipies I did have from my mother, unaware that she had many more tucked away, until....

....I tried several, including the chicken nuggets and spaghetti. Nasty. Mom came to visit and I showed her the book. Without having to try the recipies she pointed out the flaws in many...including the ones that failed for me. We rewrote the recipies with different healthy ingredients, balanced them and they were successful. So, Jessica's book is full of pen marks. I should change the title because it's not her stuff anymore...it's "Deceptively Grandma's"!!!!

I also agree with another poster's comment. This book is strangely VERY similar to one that sold earlier in the year..and like others my friends have that are a few years older. There are many combinations that work with purees...why did Jessica's book have to be so much a clone of the other one? Interestingly enough the failed recipies seem like the only ones that were not taken from another source. Did Jessica scour the net and other sources for foods made from purees and throw them in a book? Very few are original. I could not find the chicken nuggets anywhere else so that one may have been hers. But again..it was an abismal failure.

So in summary, the book contains recipies that one can find in other books..and several that fail miserably. The only saving grace was my mom's changes. Otherwise the book would not have been worth buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the reviews carefully before purchase..., Feb. 7 2008
T. Martin - See all my reviews
I'm don't understand why there are reviewers giving this 3 stars (or more) when they haven't tried the recipes or, worse, they have tried the recipes and they have failed. I hope that potential buyers will read all the reviews carefully before making their decision as to whether to purchase this book.

My review is as follows: The concept is wonderful, the book is beautiful and the pictures are gorgeous; but this is a COOKBOOK and the recipes are disasterous. Let's face it...a Mercedes Benz is gorgeous too but if it doesn't have an engine, do you really want to buy it?

So far the items I have made from this book have not cooked properly (for example, the banana bread is heavy and moisture-laden and resembles a brick) and the vegetables are not well "hidden" as promised. Ginger spice cake with carrots and broccoli tastes like....carrot and broccoli bread. And I also ask myself, hmmm...hasn't this been done before and better? After grinding away at the broccoli and carrots with my food processor I had cause to recall my mother's wonderful "pumpkin loaf" (as we called it) and the zucchini nut bread of my youth. These also have vegetables cooked into them but they are yummier and more successful.

In short, this book was a disappointment and I'm sorry that it is too late to return it. It's a shame really because it seemed like a great idea. Buyer beware, as they say, and please note the content of some of the other reviewers of this *cook* book. I observed a 4(?) star rating from a reviewer who gave the book as a gift and has clearly doled out their rating based on concept alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy this again..., Oct. 26 2007
Chelsea Almeida (Edmonton, AB) - See all my reviews
I have no problem with sneaking a little extra veg. into my kids diets, so I ordered this book and was so excited to try out the receipe's. It is a beautiful book and I like the look of it, however the following are the ACTUAL result I received:
1. Beet pancakes- while the pancakes did turn out pink, they did not cook the whole way through, they were completely raw inside,(I have made many a pancake in my time and have never had this problem)
2. Beet chocolate cake - it was OKAY.. too much work for an OKAY cake.
3. Chicken Nugets- ABSOLUTE DISSASTER!! WAY too much flax meal in the bread crumbs, the broccoli could be seen through the bread crumbs, takes aweful, all burned (I kept having to add more oil to get through the batch) and the end result was greasy, bland and gross.
4. Mozzarella sticks, WHAT A MESS! the cauliflower was very over powering and they tasted aweful. I ended up freezing them over night so they would cook without becoming a melted mess.
5.Spagetti and meatballs - The meatballs were actually really good, I will make them again, the sauce was WAY too watery, I don't know if that's how they eat it in Manhattan, but it was like soup.

So 1 out of 5 worked. I'm not sure that the reciepe's were writen properly because they balance of ingrediant's seems off.

It's too bad they weren't better, I still really like Jessica, but unfortunately her reciepe's aren't very good.
I wouldn't recomend this book to others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good at all, Feb. 14 2008
This book was very disappointing. I LOVE to cook, and found the recipes were very labour intensive (all that puree-ing, even for someone who loves to be in the kitchen...give me a break!). The foods I prepared were ixnayed by my kids, and my husband who eats almost anything wasn't so impressed either. I wish I could return it, but I've thrown out my receipt. Anyway, what I've learned from this is that yes, we all want our families to eat healthier foods. How do we accomplish this? Set the example by eating it ourselves, keep serving it to them (not hiding it, just making it really yummy!), and eventually they will follow suit. And if they grow up and hate broccoli? No problem, as long as they eat their carrots : )

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes!, July 25 2013
NMM (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
There are some very good recipes in here. I actually liked them myself! My son is a real challenge to cook for though so even some of the great-tasting things he didn't eat. Back to the drawing board - sigh:(

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up, June 4 2013
Works on kids and husbands!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Simple Recipes, May 13 2013
I also purchased the Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids and Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. In comparison I found that the Sneaky Chef books require more work whereas the Jessica Seinfeld book is simple and effortless. I have been hiding cauliflower and sweet potato in all of my toddler's food. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book., March 28 2013
Great recipes in the book and gives helpful hints to hide more veggies, etc. to your foods so your kids don't know. I would definitely pass on the name of this book to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, Feb. 21 2013
This is a good book that I am sure I'll get some more use out of it once my toddler gets a little older, but at this point he is stuck on finger foods and isn't really using utensils very well or eating vegetables well on their own. I am able to use a couple of the recipes now but will definitely get more use out of this book once he allows us to either feed him again (which he is refusing) or starts using untensils on his own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have alot of time, Feb. 20 2012
I found this book to be very helpful with idea's on how to sneak healthy fruits and vegetables in every day items. The problem I find is I don't have the extra time to make all the purees, also recipes I have tried have not turned out as well as the book says. Anyways great if you have the time to prepare and make all these ideas, and take the chance that after all that hard work they still won't eat it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb42b9f48)

Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food
Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food by Jessica Seinfeld (Hardcover-spiral - Sept. 20 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01