5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you know a little of Zen and Buddhism beforehand.
Back in the early 80's I read a few very scholarly volumes about Zen. They were great at giving a total novice some idea of the formation and history of Zen. They were full of very strict admonishments, you must live very austere existence, live off almost nothing, and be almost perfect before you even begin.
Twenty years on and I am interested again in Zen. This...
Published on Jan. 9 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Written for the Author, Not the Reader
I suppose if you were aready a Zen student and had a "teacher" and could run down to the local Zen center 3 times a week, you might enjoy this book, or at least know what its about. Otherwise, take a pass on this one.
Published on Sept. 30 2002 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary and Charming, Nov. 23 2014
This review is from: Everyday Zen: Love and Work (Paperback)
I really liked this book. I read it some time ago and so can't remember every detail but on the whole I can say that it was down to Earth, charming, and inspirational all in one go. Charlotte Beck was a Zen teacher who founded her own lineage. She had received Dharma Transmission from the alcoholic sex criminal Maezumi Roshi. After Maezumi was exposed she started her own school which was a good idea. Contrary to the conduct of Maezumi Roshi, Charlotte Beck seems like a pleasant, normal human being.

In this book you get the picture of someone deeply committed to the idea of week long sesshin retreats. That's one of the main points she hammers home again and again. Yet at the same time she talks about how her Zen practice has improved her daily life. She has gained more equanimity and acts less rashly. She also knows herself better. Joko never claims to be enlightened. This is a good book for anyone who wants to read about a contemporary North American regular person who deeply cultivates Soto Zen practice and yet fails to attain enlightenment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you know a little of Zen and Buddhism beforehand., Jan. 9 2004
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
Twenty years on and I am interested again in Zen. This book is such a contrast to those early volumes. It teaches you that none of us are perfect, and each of us needs to move at a suitable pace for where we are now. It might be helpful if before reading this book you have some theoretical knowledge of how Zen came to be and what it's about, but I don't feel that is essential. If you are like me you will have decided you want to know about Zen or wish to begin practicing and you will find someone (a teacher) to help start you on the path, and they will recommend this book to you.
The writer seems to know EXACTLY how I'm feeling and writes in a style that speaks to the inner me, rather than talking to all the perfect people I envisaged would be the only ones to take up Zen practice...i.e. she de-esoteric-orises the subject. She also sounds like she must have experienced the doubts, the hopes, and all the other up's and downs that we all go through.
Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Written for the Author, Not the Reader, Sept. 30 2002
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
Here's a hint, when writting a book in english, USE ENGLISH WORDS! Or at least define all of th non-english words you use. And putting them in italic helps about as much as an ugly Amercian shouting english at non-english speakers. I think using undefined terms and making inside references shows a lack of respect for the reader.
I bought this book trying to get into something new, trying to find inner peace, but am left feeling frustrated an left out of some sort of cliche. I'm sure all you Zen masters out there will have a big smirk on your face, because the simple midwestener just didn't get it, but I was at least trying to get it, and I don't think the author met me 1/2 way.
Look, my only experience with Zen is that I read a book called "Zen Golf" that improved my golf game, made me enjoy golf more, make me enjoy life in general more, an therefor made me want to learn more about Zen. This book had the opposite affect.
If there was a prerq., I wish it would have been listed.

5.0 out of 5 stars for serious practitioners, Oct. 13 2001
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
I find the title of this book to be a bit misleading - it implies a sort of general applicability characteristic of perhaps the large majority of books on "zen" and "Buddhism" which have overwhelmed the market in recent years. Love and work, who wouldn't want to resolve these two koans. Joko Beck, in this book, gives us much more than a series of little chickensoup feel-good stories about love and work. In what is essentially a compilation of her talks for sesshin students, she tries to goad us into what really cannot be expressed, cannot be talked about - into the awareness of the moment. This book therefore cannot be *read*, it has to be *felt* with that mixture of gratitude, abandon, sensitivity and faith that one works on during the sesshin. One therefore cannot use it to "learn" something about zen. As a tool for zen practice, however, i have found it over the years to be invaluable. i come to this book again and again for inspiration and support - i 'd rank it, together with S. Suzuki's Beginner's Mind as the best book on zen practice available to us today. What (arguably) makes it even more valuable to us are its syncretic elements: Everyday Zen is written by a Westerner who sees her life from a perspective of an American, yet it also possesses the sensitivity to the workings of one's mind, the ferocity needed to face the mind's endless evasive maneouvers and a dedication to cultivation of awareness that matches that of any Japanese zen master, indeed, that of any spiritual master anywhere. In short, if you want to practice zen as opposed to "studying" it, this is a book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have found the right book on zen, Aug. 18 2000
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
Dear readers, if you were drawn to this book as I was then you must also seek insight and a better quality of life. I have many books on Zen and books related to self-inquiry in general. Everything ranging from Thomas Cleary's translated classics to Allan Watts, D.T. Suzuki, Krishnamurti, to the mammoth book, Zen and the Brain. Not one of them spoke to me as intimately as this book did. This is wisdom for the people of our age. In some of the passages within this book, I found myself thinking "of course!! that makes so much sense!!" In summmarizing the book, its primary message is to just "live your life and do not seek the truth anywhere else." I especially admire Joko Beck's groundedness. She is not an egomaniac guru who puts herself upon a pedestal and challenges the words of other teachers. Her attitude is something like "Nothing to gain, nothing to lose. If you want to hear a little about the insight that I have then listen, if not, continue on to the next book. It's up to you." So if you have been searching as I have then please consider reading this book before spending another dollar on any Zen self-help book. I promise you that you will not be able to turn away from the priceless wisdom that are within these pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars Aren't Enough, May 3 2000
More M (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
I purchased this book back in 1992, got half-way through it, couldn't understand it, and put it down to read other things and go on with my life of everyday living, thinking, worrying, etc. that we all do in our lives. Not until a crisis of sorts came up in my life did I pick it up again. This time, it all made sense. Living life in the present moment, right here, now. Working at being less judgemental. Not looking for 'happiness' and instead finding joy in everyday life. I know it sounds like a lot of BS, but something changed after the second reading of this book, and now mundane aspects of my job are just me doing my work. I haven't changed religions, haven't joined a cult, haven't even attended a 'zendo' or 'sesshin.' But something has changed since reading this book. It could be the thing that changes your life, too. I know I've got a long way to go, but what a start! The companion second book by Joko is also highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, direct, unadorned truth, Oct. 11 1999
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
Joko Beck's thesis is a simple one: That life, just as it is at any moment, is all that it can be and therefore is perfect. Pointing again and again to the troubles we cause ourselves by living life not in the moment, but out of a confused fog of fantasies and "what ifs," Beck challenges us to divest ourselves of our mental defense mechanisms and dare to be OK with life as it is. Yet she is a compassionate teacher, intimately familiar with human weaknesses and struggles, and she extends one hand of comfort even as the other hand pulls the rug out from under our feet. Perhaps the only shortcoming of this book is that it is much more clear about the "deconstructive" aspect of Zen practice than about exploring the ultimate manifestations and benefits of enlightenment. Knowing her aversion to "holding out cookies," however, this absence is understandable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best introduction to Zen for Americans!, July 28 1996
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
I've read quite a few books over the past few months in my search to "understand Zen" (yes, I *know* that's a contradiction in terms!). But "Everyday Zen" is really the first that helped me see how Zen can operate in the midst of my modern American life -- outside of a monastic environment, dealing with business and family and the other assorted miseries of the late 20th century. Her style is forthright and no-nonsense; excuse the sexism, but it's almost as if you had a plain-spoken old aunt who simply told you the truth about the birds and the bees when everyone else was hemming and hawing and quoting Robert Browning. I recommend this book HIGHLY to anyone new to Zen who struggles, as I do, with how to place it into a modern context

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 24 2000
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
The book is organized in a series of talks where Joko shares her wisdom with her students. Unfortunately, I found that the tone of the talks lacked compassion and understanding for the complexity of the world. Thicht Nacht Han tells us not to create us/them dualities, but this book is replete with them. Further, the book overwhelmingly emphasizes the importance of sitting, but *ignores* the importance of everyday ethical practice in providing the groundwork for a joyful life of awareness. I find that it did not provide much help for ordinary people trying to deepen the practice of their everyday lives. Perhaps this is a problem with Zen Buddhism in general. A much better book is Sharon Salzberg's "Lovingkindness".

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for people practicing Zen, Nov. 13 2002
This review is from: Everyday Zen (Paperback)
I read this book after reading "Nothing Special". I like Joko's writing a lot, simple, direct to the points just as Zen should be simple. This book may be hard for people trying to understand Zen only (without practice) or beginners. But to people practicing sitting Zen daily I think it contains a lot of good advices which I can apply into living. I will read and read again both books by Joko. I have read many Zen books and found that this book and "Nothing Special" are among the best for me. Highly recommend both "Everyday Zen" and "Nothing Special".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Everyday Zen: Love and Work
Everyday Zen: Love and Work by Charlotte Beck (Paperback - Aug. 23 2007)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.51