biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Furniture Tools ca_ty_gno

on February 2, 2016
As described
on October 31, 2015
Great book that provides amazing insights into why people do things.
on June 16, 2015
Catalogues common human irrational responses or actions then quantifies the level of irrationality by well designed experiments frequently using university students as the test subjects. An excellent book which develops an understanding of human psychology without using technical jargon. And is a good reference which I consult frequently. Very enjoyable read!! Have recommended the book to all my friends who echo my comments.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I found this book to be fascinating. Even though this is a scholarly work, it is very readable and easily understood. The finding of Mr. Ariely and his associates are well illustrated by an assortment of simple experiments that were conducted at several well respected Universities.

Before I started reading, I felt that I made quite rational decisions and that I was not unduly swayed by advertising and other outside influences. I now suspect that this might not be true. I was surprised to find how much we are all influenced by our surrounding and those around us.

Whether it affects our decision of how long a magazine subscription to select, whether I need a medication or will a placebo suffice, is a free item really free, or even if we have ordered what we truly desire in a restaurant or did we make our choice so it will be different that everyone else at the table.

I was further surprised to find that even our level of honesty can be influenced by a variety of circumstances.

Mr. Ariely does not leave us without hope. He does assure the reader that he can make rational decisions.

I would highly recommend this book to any who are a student of understanding human nature. Now I am wondering how I can use my new found knowledge to get my children to do what I want them to do without them realizing how much I have influenced their decision.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 26, 2015
This entertaining book essentially shows us the many ways that humans do not behave as economists would predict we do. We are not rational but irrational - furthermore we are irrational in predictable ways. Ariely shows us through a series of chapters which essentially distill the results of his and other experiments how this is so. It is not always clear how this is to be made use of, and some of the experiments seem to be little beyond mind games, despite Ariely's scientific protestations.
on June 9, 2014
I like the author's unique style of experimentation, and the story-telling of the results and what they tell us about how irrational we really are. I have since read another of his more recent books and was equally enthralled.
on February 7, 2014
Amusing "read" with great insight into human behavior. The audio version is read clearly and adds great character to the book!
on May 5, 2013
I cannot wait to read the rest of Ariely's publications. I highly recommend this book along with all of Ariely's TEDtalks.
on February 19, 2013
This book is really interesting if you're looking for a unique perspective on market research that doesn't rely on consumer recall.
on January 29, 2013
This book has caused to look at myself, and others, in a totally different way which, at the same time, seems quite familiar. Often it is simple concepts we are unaware of that have the most impact when revealed. This book does that and is definitely a keeper.