5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and penetrating
Published 4 months ago by Peter Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars So-so spiritual autobiography
I really liked the beginning half of the book but after that it seems he ran out of what to say and rambled on philosophically but not getting anywhere much. Still, I finished the book and passed it on to 2 others to read.
Published 4 months ago by Laraine Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars So-so spiritual autobiography, March 3 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and penetrating, Feb. 20 2014
Peter Jones (Springfield, IL) - See all my reviews
I am in a sort of loss here when it comes to describing Sidney Poitier's "The Measure of a Man". It is well written and presents the values we need to live purposeful lives in a very well-tailored manner. Deriving joy in our every day lives is another theme that is well talked about in this book. Comic as it present itself, book and Janvier Chando's "Father and Sons" spell out values and the joy of life very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great man, Sept. 17 2013
This review is from: The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
I am trying to read a few biographies to help me put down a bit of my own history and he tells it in a very interesting way. It is easy to read and its like a story rather than just facts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, July 22 2013
Very descriptive. He took us along into the scenes in his life's story. A must read for all people of colour facing challenging situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sidney..., Feb. 2 2013
I love Sidney Poitier and reading this book I felt like I was transposed into his life. It was an interesting book about an even more interesting man.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book by a wonderful actor, June 23 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In my spare time I don't read a lot of biography books but because it's Sidney Poitier I had to have it. After reading this up I found it to be pretty good but a bit dry in certain areas nevertheless informative along the way. This book does give us incredible journey of his life and he doesn't take credit for who he is, but gives credit to his Creator, his parents and who gave him a hand-up along the way.

In this autobiography you learn what Sidney was thinking and feeling through the span of his life. From growing up on Cat Island and not having any of our modern day conveniences to Nassau, to Miami, and New York. He shares with us his thoughts and feelings and reasons why he made the decisions he did. Personally, I would love to sit, talk, and debate with him for hours. He has always seemed to know who he was and never let anyone tell him otherwise. Sidney found a way to make himself as he knew himself fit into the world instead of changing himself to fit into the world. Sidney shows his thoughtful side by sharing a lot of his personal thoughts with us without dwelling on the bad things in life. He comments on today's youth and the negative benefits of our world where they are used to so many physical things.

"The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography" also provides strength and family value. Sidney Poitier is a noble man and his six daughters are lucky to have a father like him which makes this book worth having.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the man---like the book, March 12 2007
Sea-dog (Montreal Canada) - See all my reviews
Normally one to read strictly fiction such as "The Time Traveler's Wife" or "Life of Pi," I instead chose this excellent book by Mr. Poitier. Glad I did. I'm always hesitant to read this type of thing, thinking that either it won't be well written or that some ghost writer will have eeked out all the good stuff and edited out the "real" things. Not so, this book. Mr. Poitier is all over it and his honest and pulls-no-punches book is just the thing for those interested in not only Hollywood and its workings but more so of the man himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration/lesson for us ALL, Oct. 2 2010
I became mesmerized by Mr. Poitier's voice and words.
We can learn much from his life experience and the values within which he has lived his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read in months, April 17 2010
SUmz (Vancouver, BC CANADA) - See all my reviews
I learned so much and felt inspired with every story and every paragraph. Its a great book for those who just like to think about the way things are and be inspired to do more with themselves. Otherwise its also like having a good conversation with a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Intimate, Dec 7 2008
Jamieson Villeneuve "Author at Large" (Ottawa Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Having admired Poitier's work, I have never had the chance to read anything written by him. In actuality, I had no idea he had even written a book, let alone two. I know for a fact that the grace and poise he shows on screen will come forth in this book.

I'm not usually one for biographies; I find them boring and tideous. But I know I'm in for a treat with this one.

Growing up, my father tried to raise me as a racist. I knew that this was wrong, but in my family it was normal to look down on others who weren't white, who weren't like everyone else.

Thankfully, when I was around twelve or thirteen years old, I saw a movie that changed my life and how I viewed it: Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

The idea that a white woman could date a black man was so amazing to me, sheltered as I was in white suburbia. There was only one black family in my entire neighbourhood and I had little to no exposure to anything that was considered different.

Sidney Poitier's role in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? (as well as that of the woman and man who played his parents) showed me that though different, we were all the same.

I ran out to get The Measure of a Man on Saturday and I'm already more than half way through it. It's been a long time since I have read a book that is life changing and I'm thankful, beyond words, to be reading Poitier's words.

So in the end, all I can say is thank you: Thank you, Sidney, for opening my eyes, thank you for showing me that, despite our differences, we are all human; thank you for being an example for many and thank you for your words.

Thanks you Sidney and thank you Oprah. You have both changed my life for the better and I can never thank you enough.

The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography (Oprah's Book Club)
The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography (Oprah's Book Club) by Sidney Poitier (Paperback - Jan. 15 2007)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26