5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting!
Published on Nov. 8 2003 by J. Minkey

3.0 out of 5 stars Lehane's voice is just not interesting enough
Lehane's writing is good. That's what draws you in. But ultimately, like the movie Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone is unsatisfying. Not because its themes are dark, but because Lehane either does not know how or is afraid to honestly emote. I will not waste my time with him again. That simple. Read Lashner if you want a good writer.
Published on Feb. 11 2004 by ake465

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting!, Nov. 8 2003
J. Minkey (San Carlos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Baby Gone (Paperback)
This is a very well rounded novel. Dennis Lehane has gained alot of steam with each new book and I think this is my favorite of the Kenzie/Gennaro series. I wasn't quite as in love with it as Mystic River, mostly because of the extreme violence and gore it contains but the writing is very solid. The characters are very well fleshed out and real and I liked the bad guys as much as the good guys...and often it was hard to tell which was which! The key here is the moral dilemma this story unfolds and it's brilliant! The ending was perfect and while emotionally I'm in the same camp with Angie I totally understand Patrick's decision. Maybe the most terrifying thing about this book is the recognition of the horror of child abuse and neglect in our culture. It's not too difficult to imagine taking the law into your own hands after witnessing the moral deprivation described in this book regarding children...and thus the dilemma! It's really a great, thoughtful and disturbing read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not soon forgotten, July 1 2004
John R. Linnell (New Gloucester, ME United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Baby Gone (Paperback)
Of the three Kenzie/Gennaro novels I have read, this was the most entertaining, if one can describe kidnapping of a child and abuse of kidnapped children by some of the most twisted people in our society "entertaining." Amanda McCready, a four year old, has been kidnapped and her aunt and uncle have sought out the dynamic duo to see if she can be found. They work out a tenuous and sometimes tense relationship with the detectives who are in charge of the investigation, yet little or no progress in finding the little girl occurs. At the half way point in the book, Patrick summarizes what they have accomplished (or not). "This was one of the most infuriating cases I'd ever worked. Absolutely nothing made sense. A four year old girl disappears. Investigation leads us to believe that the child was kidnapped by drug dealers who'd been ripped off by the mother. A ransom demand for the stolen money arrives from a woman who seems to work for the drug dealers. The ransom drop is an ambush. The drug dealers are killed. One of the drug dealers may or may not be an undercover operative for the federal government. The missing girl remains missing or at the bottom of a quarry."
As it turns out, the answers are hiding in plain sight, yet it takes time, lives and luck to eventually come up with them.
This is no Mystic River (few are) but, it is a good story, well told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, suspenseful read, March 11 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gone Baby Gone (Paperback)
Dennis Lehane brings his usual blend of dark humor and suspense to this story of a missing child, an addict mother, and a drug drop gone wrong. Lehane's work with abused children obviously contributes to the passion with which he writes about them in this gripping read. It was hard to put down, even though at times the grim details made me want to do just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, funny and a moral dilemma, Jan. 7 2003
Steven Laine (Pleasanton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Baby Gone (Paperback)
In the last 30 day I've read all five of Lehane' Kinzie/Gennaro books, finishing Prayers for Rain last night. Lehane has created a terrific franchise in the mystery/thriller arena with his realistic and (more importantly) entertaining pair of detectives. You like these people he's created and believe their motives for what they choose to do as they trek through the plot. Clearly I've found a lot of compelling entertainment in these stories.
The first book in the series, A Drink Before the War, really [drew] me in, being in the same vein as the Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais which I also recommend. Both series are consistently well-written, a clear step (or two) above pop/trash/beach fiction, funny, intelligent stories where the plot make sense, and the characters seem frighteningly real. It turned out that the first Kinzie/Gennaro yarn was the lightest. Each one after has ratcheted up the twists and turns, but kept the personality of the characters growing and building. The stories definitely got blacker and bleaker in the depraved actions of the bad guys. By Prayers for Rain, the villain is a hardcore-fulltime psychopath, and Patrick and Angie are a-little-further-than-borderline vigilantes.
After racing through five of the books in so short a period, I am struck with a sense of vulnerability. If some bad dude makes it their career to mess with you, and if they have no normal limits to their behavior, you're just [out of luck]. How can a normal, follow the rules type of citizen even comprehend the introduction of aggression and violence into their regular lives? Unless you have friends to help you out like Kenzie and Gennaro you might as well move out of the country and hope you're never found. Read these, you'll like them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, Feb. 13 2002
Coffeebob (East Hampton, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Baby Gone (Paperback)
Lehane ranks with Michael Connelly and Robert Parker--and it doesn't get any better than that. All four of the Kenzie-Gennaro books are head and shoulders above Grisham, Baldacci et. al. in mastery of the English language, dialogue and characterization. Sometimes the plots go a little over the top but who cares!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsettling, Honest Fourth Outing, Oct. 13 2001
Brett Benner (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Baby Gone (Paperback)
Reading about the scum of humanity that Lehane's Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro come up against is like watching a David Fincher movie. It's all grit staring you right in the face with unflinching honesty.The fourth book in the detective series has the duo searching for a missing child. In true Lehane fashion, there are more twists than a crazy straw, and the plot gets deeper and deeper and more horrifying as the truth comes out. Luckily there's the character of Bubba to add some needed comic relief to the story. A story that's hard to put down, and harder to shake when you finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Read Explores Heartbreaking Reality, Nov. 17 2009
Debra Purdy Kong (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gone, Baby, Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
When PIs Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are asked by the McCreadys to find their four-year-old niece, Patrick or Angie turn them down. After all, the police are on the case and these seasoned PIs know the emotional price to pay if things turn out badly. But Beatrice McCready's refusal to accept no and other circumstances gradually cause a change of heart. The more questions Patrick and Angie ask, though, the more disturbing the situation, and the more dangerous the truth.

What starts as a straightforward plot in Gone Baby Gone, becomes an increasingly complicated story with every twist and turn. In part, this is a grim portrayal of life for some children in the real world, and if it wasn't for Dennis Lehane's elegant writing it'd be a hard novel to read.

As it was, it took me a long time to gather the courage to read Gone Baby Gone. The novel arrived on my TBR pile when my children were young. Now that they're 21 and 15, I felt ready to read Dennis Lehane, and I'm glad I did. Yes, the book was emotionally difficult at times, but the subject of child abduction was handled with passion, compassion, and a writing style that kept me turning the pages. People have recommended more of Lehane's books to me. This time, I won't wait so long to read them.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Painful Read, Dec 26 2007
J.E.L. (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone, Baby, Gone (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read "A Drink Before the War" and putting it down after the first few pages, I was hesitant to read this one. But then I figured, what the heck, they made a movie, it might be alright. I was wrong.

It's hard to believe (impossible, in fact) that this story came from the same author who wrote "Mystic River," one of my all-time favourites. "Gone Baby Gone" started off well. The prologue was intruiging and the first page of chapter one was interesting also (hence the two-star rating instead of one), but as soon as Patrick Kenzie's narrative kicked in on page two, the book took a rapid turn for the worst. The writing was flat and laboured with an annoying overuse of strained analogies. Example (one of many): "I shifted my weight slightly in my chair so that my elbow had more leverage on the bar in case I had to bob or weave suddenly and waited for the guy to make whatever move was floating through his head like a cancer cell."
Eh? What in the world does that mean? Is that a sentence? I couldn't help feeling that I was listening to a high school kid trying to pass himself off as a deep-thinking adult. Painful.

This might have been a good story, maybe a great one, had it been written in a third-person narrative, rather than the annoying voice of Patrick Kenzie. But I don't know. Like "A Drink Before the War," I gave up after the first 50 pages or so.

If you want to read Lehane at his best, pick up "Mystic River" or "Shutter Island." Then wait for his next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lehane is the master of this genre., June 22 2004
Kel "acountkel" (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone Baby Gone (Paperback)
I stayed up last night and finished this book. It was like watching a very suspenseful movie. Not only is this a good murder/mystery, the character development is exceptional as well. I am anxious to read Prayers for Rain to find out what happens in the Angie/Patrick relationship. I highly recommend this author to those mystery/suspense buffs out there. You will put Dennis Lehane on top of your favorites list!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lehane's voice is just not interesting enough, Feb. 11 2004

ARRAY(0xa74892a0)

Gone, Baby, Gone
Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 6 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01