4.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner!
KEEPING FAITH by Jodi Picoult
This was my second book by Jodi Picoult, and I will definitely be reading more by her. As with THE PACT, KEEPING FAITH centered on a controversial topic, something that would be seen in today's headlines. In KEEPING FAITH, there are two themes - one of a family being torn apart by infidelity and divorce, and the other one centering on...
Published on April 25 2004 by Ratmammy

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome and Trite
I am not one to rail against novels; if I don't like something, that's well and good, but I'd rather let others form their own opinions on things. I so disliked this book, though, I have been driven to say something to counter all the positive reviews. The novel is entirely trite and predictable. I could anticipate the events, the actions, what the characters would...
Published on Aug. 24 2000 by Annemarie Cancienne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who wonder about Faith, Feb. 18 2004
ELF (Chapel Hill, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
Here is Faith however it may come. In the form of self-love/ faith in self, faith in God if you like, faith in the future. Told from the point of view of a very real, very human woman who has had her faith tested. A wonderful story! Characters become like friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Faith is a keeper!, Jan. 20 2004
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult and have purchased every novel she has written thus far. I am never disappointed when reading one of her books; Jodi has this wonderful storytelling ability that grabs readers from the beginning and does not let go.
Keeping Faith is the story of a little girl named Faith. After witnessing a scene between her mother and father that culminates in a divorce, Faith suddenly begins having conversations with an imaginary friend. Not a big deal, until Faith, who was not brought up in a religious household, begins quoting scripture. Could this 'imaginary friend' really be someone more spiritual? Maybe even God? When Faith begins to develop stigmata and heals others around her, people from all over the country flock to the town to get a glimpse of this miraculous healer.
There is more to the story that that, of course, most of it dealing with the divorce of Faith's parents, custody arrangements, and how Faith's new-found celebrity plays into it all. I found this book to be one of the best of Jodi's books (right up there with Plain Truth, my favorite), and certainly one that would spark an interesting conversation in book groups.
Jodi, you continue to outdo yourself with every book you write. I can't wait for new releases and more opportunities to delve into your world. Kudos on Keeping Faith -- a masterpiece in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pageturner!, Dec 30 2003
Amisha Mehta "amylovesbooks" (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
I just finished this book by Jodi Picoult. I read two of her books, "Mercy" and "The Pact", and although they were both very readable, I felt a little unsettled by the overall topics, and decided that I didn't need to read any of her other books. I'm glad I received "Keeping Faith" and decided to give it a try.
What a great book! Faith is the 7 year old daughter of Mariah White, a 32 year old woman that is in the middle of a painful divorce. As she begins to settle into life as a single mother, her daughter starts to talk about seeing her "guard". Miraculous things start to happen to others when Faith is around. Of course, then the media and the clergy must investigate these claims, and create an ensuing scandal.
The story is told in a very interesting way, through journal-like dated entries and frequent changes of point of view. I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it as one of my favorites of the year. I now look forward to reading more books by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's the plot and premise that MAKE this book, Nov. 9 2003
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
The premise of this book is what drew me to it. What if your child suddenly saw and spoke with God? What would you do? NOW, Suppose you were Christian, and your child spoke to Allah??? Yeah, that's a completely different can of worms, isn't it?
The plot alone charges you throughout this novel. The dialogue, etc. is not especially well written. It's not horrible, but don't expect a literary piece, because this isn't that. This is a book that you read to watch the plot play itself out. Beginning and end of story.
A good book, yes. A well-written masterpiece? No. Something you'll enjoy reading and discussing? Absolutely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing masterpiece!, Aug. 30 2003
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
Jodi Picoult has written a masterpiece. One that not only keeps the reader enthralled but gets you thinking as well.

Mariah White and her daughter Faith have been through a lot. However, it is when they return home early one afternoon and find Mariah's husband in the bedroom with another woman that things start to fall apart.
Mariah has had the aforementioned gruesome experience with her husband before, but Faith hadn't witnessed it until now. As her mother experiences another bout of depression, Faith finds an imaginary friend to help her through the tough times. While imaginary friends are not unique, Mariah's Guard seems to be someone rather unique. Shortly after the Guard comes to visit, Faith begins quoting the bible and is able to spontaneously heal people.
Things take a spin toward disaster when Faith falls ill. There are various twists throughout the novel.
Keeping the Faith is a beautiful and enthralling novel that will keep you turning the pages. I've been told that Ms. Picoult's novels are creative, engrossing and thought-provoking. Well, I loved this novel and I look forward to reading her other offerings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good courtroom drama., Aug. 15 2003
J. Rodeck (Guam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
Little girl talks to God and gets stigmata. Interesting child custody issues and trial. Talented author. Would have been 5 stars, but some questions unanswered. For one, why'd the girl get so sick?

5.0 out of 5 stars SPELLBINDING!, July 27 2003
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
Fortunately I began Jodi Picoult's "Keeping Faith" on a weekend, because I couldn't put it down. Thanks to my daughter, who provided me with nutritional sustenance while I turned the pages, I was able to read the book straight through at one sitting. I have read all Ms. Picoult's novels, and this is her best so far.
Mariah White, and her seven year-old daughter Faith, come home unexpectedly one afternoon, and surprise Colin White, husband and father, with his lover. Divorce proceedings ensue. Faith, understandably, is traumatized by what she saw and doesn't understand, and by the sudden separation of her parents. She finds comfort in an invisible friend, her "guard," a seemingly benign female figure who calms her, and answers her painful questions.
When Faith's beloved grandmother has a fatal heart attack, Faith brings her back to life by breathing into her mouth. Then she cures a baby dying of AIDS. It seems that her "guard" is God, and a female to boot. Faith has been brought up in a home where no religion is practiced. Her mother is a nonobservant Jewess, and her father, a non-practicing Episcopalian. She has never read the Bible or been taught to pray. Doctors convey that the resurrection of Faith's grandmother, and the healed infant, appear to be almost miraculous recoveries. There is no logical, medical explanation for their sudden improvement. A child psychiatrist, who examines Faith, is certain that the little girl is not psychotic, or making believe. Then Faith manifests stigmata.
Out of nowhere, crazies rain down upon the house of Faith White, seeking to be cured, seeking to cure their curiosity, looking for a Big story, hoping to reach God by praying there, etc.. And Faith's and Mariah's lives are forever changed.
Colin, alarmed for his daughter's welfare, blames Faith's visitation on his wife's past emotional instability, and seeks to gain sole custody of his daughter. A big name talk show host, Ian Fletcher, famous for his outspoken atheism, targets Faith and Mariah, bent on proving them fakes...with surprising results.
The story builds in complexity and suspense. The characters grow and change, as do their relationships. The issues here are more about ethics than about God and religion. Jodi Picoult has proven to be a talented writer. She is at her best in this unique novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars God, in a new light, May 19 2003
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
Jodi Picoult's book "Keeping Faith" made me think about my own religious beleifs in a new light. It also taught me some things about different faiths that I didn't know. The amount of research that goes into her books is amazing. I highly recommand any book writen by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult, April 17 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
I read this book about 2 years ago and it is one of my all time favorites. I didn't want it to end and after I finished it I couldn't start another novel because I didn't want to confuse the memory. Jodi Piccoult is definately one of my favorite authors and I think that this is her best book to date.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read!!, March 10 2003
J. N Sandell "So many books, so little time" (Maplewood, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
I have now read three books by Jodi Picoult, and this is my favorite. It really raises some interesting questions about God, faith and religon. 7-year old Faith White starts seeing God and healing people after she witnesses her father in bed with another woman,which of course is very hard on both she and her mother. This book had a very interesting plot intersected with some equally as interesting sub-plots. Ms. Picoult does a wonderful job also of creating a cast of rich, unforgettable characters that totally engross the reader. The only reason I gave this book 4 stars is that there are times when the point of view changes from that of the mother to an omniscient one, but even that doesn't really detract from the wonderful qualities of this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 47 | Next ›

Keeping Faith
Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 11 2008)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54