5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book please! (even if you've watched the movie)
Published on July 11 2005 by yvette

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's the thing
Published 3 months ago by Rachel Mahoney

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book please! (even if you've watched the movie), July 11 2005
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
You may be reading this because you've recently watched the Miyazaki interpretation of Howl's Moving Castle. If you're wondering whether or not you should bother to read the book, the answer is YES!! This is an excellent book, one of my favourites. Miyazaki only skimmed the surface of its depths. He also altered the story and some of the characters so read with an open mind and prepare to fall in love with Sophie, Howl, Calcifer (who, by the way is blue not orange), Michael (not Markl and actually a teenager), and all the magic that goes with them.
Diana Wynne Jones is much more subtle with her lessons in the book than Miyazaki is in the movie so don't expect the "war is bad" and "love is good" lessons to be thrown in your face. In fact, there isn't even a war in the book! That was something that was added in the jump from page to screen.
Quick, go read the book! (The sequel is Castle in the Air... also very good and ironically the title of another very different Miyazaki film.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12 2014
loved the book! the movie and the book are so different yet still amazing in their own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE LOVED IT, June 5 2014
I read this book out faster than any book in my life after watching Howl's Moving Castle by Miyazaki. Thanks to Diana Wynne Jones and Miyazaki for creating such a fun world to pass some time in. I feel that some of the people in my family are not unlike Howl! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book Myazaki based his film on., June 2 2014
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed the original tale. I like some of the film choices, but I enjoyed the book just as much as the film. They are different animals and this is a very enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's the thing, March 28 2014
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
Here's the thing, I really did enjoy the book. It was well written and the story line was very well thought out in most parts. However I found myself feeling while I read that the author was skipping important steps and information somehow. As if there were chunks of information that she obviously knew, but didn't include into the story. This occurred mostly towards the end of the story, as if she were rushing to the finish line.

I would also just like to mention that if you've heard of this story because you are a Hayao Miyazaki and a Studio Ghibli fan, then you will most definitely find the story to be different than the animated work. This is the original story created by Diana Wynne Jones, the animated motion picture created by Studio Ghibli is simply a rendition of the story and changes a lot of the plot line in order to shorten and to uphold to their traditional style of work. My point being, that if you go into this book, expecting the same story as the movie, then you will either be disappointed, or thoroughly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Equally satisfying and awesome as the movie, Jan. 4 2014
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
I love how Miyazaki did justice to this incredible book by making it his own. If you've seen the movie, this book is a must read. Jones' story is told quite differently and with a different tone and setting. I love the overall HMC franchise. I've even ordered the sequel to it, so crossing my fingers to more awesomeness!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Adults and Children, Nov. 3 2013
Love this book! Full of fantasy! it is very suitable for teenagers to read. Adults would enjoy reading too. I recommend watching the animation movie too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Oct. 29 2013
I have to admit that I saw the movie before the book, and whereas the two do have some differences, the book is not lacking in its whimsy and charm.

This is an excellent choice for the young reader, or, like me, the mature reader with a short attention span. The story is full of romance, intrigue, adventure, magic, and fantasy.

This particular version is extremely affordable, and boasts a hard cover with printed images on the front and back. I loved this in particular, because dust covers drive me NUTS!!

An excellent gift for someone who loves fantasy and imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long book, Oct. 22 2013
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
Bought this for my sister for Christmas 2012, and she only finished it in June 2013. It's a great book, long and a little complex, and nothing like the movie adaptation under the same name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like originals, Feb. 23 2013
Seeing the movie adaptation from Studio Ghibli made me want to know of the original story. And although this impressive piece of litterature takes nothing off the movie, I like the books way best.

Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Paperback - April 15 2008)
CDN$ 9.75 CDN$ 9.26