5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book please! (even if you've watched the movie)
Published on July 11 2005 by yvette

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's the thing
Published 20 days ago by Rachel Mahoney

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book please! (even if you've watched the movie), July 11 2005
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
You may be reading this because you've recently watched the Miyazaki interpretation of Howl's Moving Castle. If you're wondering whether or not you should bother to read the book, the answer is YES!! This is an excellent book, one of my favourites. Miyazaki only skimmed the surface of its depths. He also altered the story and some of the characters so read with an open mind and prepare to fall in love with Sophie, Howl, Calcifer (who, by the way is blue not orange), Michael (not Markl and actually a teenager), and all the magic that goes with them.
Diana Wynne Jones is much more subtle with her lessons in the book than Miyazaki is in the movie so don't expect the "war is bad" and "love is good" lessons to be thrown in your face. In fact, there isn't even a war in the book! That was something that was added in the jump from page to screen.
Quick, go read the book! (The sequel is Castle in the Air... also very good and ironically the title of another very different Miyazaki film.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's the thing, March 28 2014
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
Here's the thing, I really did enjoy the book. It was well written and the story line was very well thought out in most parts. However I found myself feeling while I read that the author was skipping important steps and information somehow. As if there were chunks of information that she obviously knew, but didn't include into the story. This occurred mostly towards the end of the story, as if she were rushing to the finish line.

I would also just like to mention that if you've heard of this story because you are a Hayao Miyazaki and a Studio Ghibli fan, then you will most definitely find the story to be different than the animated work. This is the original story created by Diana Wynne Jones, the animated motion picture created by Studio Ghibli is simply a rendition of the story and changes a lot of the plot line in order to shorten and to uphold to their traditional style of work. My point being, that if you go into this book, expecting the same story as the movie, then you will either be disappointed, or thoroughly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Equally satisfying and awesome as the movie, Jan. 4 2014
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
I love how Miyazaki did justice to this incredible book by making it his own. If you've seen the movie, this book is a must read. Jones' story is told quite differently and with a different tone and setting. I love the overall HMC franchise. I've even ordered the sequel to it, so crossing my fingers to more awesomeness!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Adults and Children, Nov. 3 2013
Love this book! Full of fantasy! it is very suitable for teenagers to read. Adults would enjoy reading too. I recommend watching the animation movie too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Oct. 29 2013
I have to admit that I saw the movie before the book, and whereas the two do have some differences, the book is not lacking in its whimsy and charm.

This is an excellent choice for the young reader, or, like me, the mature reader with a short attention span. The story is full of romance, intrigue, adventure, magic, and fantasy.

This particular version is extremely affordable, and boasts a hard cover with printed images on the front and back. I loved this in particular, because dust covers drive me NUTS!!

An excellent gift for someone who loves fantasy and imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars A long book, Oct. 22 2013
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
Bought this for my sister for Christmas 2012, and she only finished it in June 2013. It's a great book, long and a little complex, and nothing like the movie adaptation under the same name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like originals, Feb. 23 2013
Seeing the movie adaptation from Studio Ghibli made me want to know of the original story. And although this impressive piece of litterature takes nothing off the movie, I like the books way best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the movie!, Jan. 16 2013
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
I decided to pick this book up because I really enjoyed the Ghibli movie version. I wasn't really sure what to expect from the book, but I would say it was above my expectations. The storyline strays a fair bit from the movie, but I feel it has much more depth to it. I strongly suggest giving it a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delight, June 22 2012
Very entertaining with unexpected twists and turns throughout.

My usual reading runs towards complex military thrillers and hard scifi, but i had heard some good buzz about the book and wanted to give it a try.

Howl is a good wimsical adventurous fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant -- a funny, well written and wholly original tale!, Feb. 5 2012
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
In 2009, for the first time, I saw Hayao Miyazaki's rendition of Howl's Moving Castle and I loved it. It was brilliant and funny, and beautiful to look at. Then my friend told me it was based on a book; an English book no less. A Japanese film based on an English book? That was weird.

That same friend read the book and eventually bought the whole series. I didn't attempt to read the book till spring of 2011 when I found myself working in a library. I searched but they didn't have it. It didn't enter my head again until January of 2012 when that same friend was talking about doing a 100 Book Challenge. I thought of all the books I owned (nowhere near 100) and as I ordered some books off of Amazon, Howl's Moving Castle fluttered across my mind. On a whim I bought it.

Once it arrived in my hands I finished reading it in 8 hours. I couldn't put it down! Over the next two days I re-read it again to make sure it was as good as I thought it was -- and it sure is! It's funny, well written, engaging and wholly original - which it funny because of all the wonderful references to other famous works in it (ie Hamlet, Lord of The Rings, Wizard of Oz etc.). I highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys Magical fantasy!

If you have seen the movie and that is your only basis for reading, be prepared for a surprise! The movie is a wonderful film, but only has a few things in common with the book (main characters and setting) - the plot is totally different!

The book itself had lovely cover art and is a good size print. I found that the paper cover felt a little floppy, and was worried that the spine might rip as I was reading. I would love to one day own a hard cover copy.

I enjoyed the bonus material at the end of the book (some reading questions, a discussion about the film and a short interview with the author), and I am pleased with my purchase.

ARRAY(0xb2306e04)

Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Paperback - April 15 2008)
CDN$ 9.75 CDN$ 9.26