5.0 out of 5 stars Great read !!
I was sorry that it was a trilogy. I want more...please !! Lost sleep reading this book....I was up late reading it !!
Published 20 months ago by Randy Heatherington

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame
Loved the first one. The second lacked focus. The last int the trilogy was meandering, directionless.

The ending rips off Stephen Kings STAND while remaining amateurish. If reduced by two hundred pages it might move a little faster.

Published 16 months ago by RD Cain

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame, May 21 2013
This review is from: The Night Eternal: Book Three of the Strain Trilogy (Hardcover)

I can't think of a single good thing to say about the final in the trilogy while I told all my friends how great the first one was.

What a shame considering the premise they began.

3.0 out of 5 stars The finite series, Aug. 18 2014
Chris (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
An unspectacular, but not disappointing finale for "The Strain" series. I liked all the rain, the helicopters, and the Everett Barnes drama; hated Gus - he might have been the worst character I've read in a book this year.

Will the television show have the same ending? I'm watching and I am curious.

4.0 out of 5 stars A terrific read!, June 22 2014
Judy (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Eternal (Paperback)
This is a "can't put down" read if there ever was one. A completely different look at vampirism! No sexy good looking creatures here!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 14 2014
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I liked the first two. This one I can’t say I’m too happy with the ending. I’d have to say at least the mood for the setting and the feeling throughout the book was pretty good. The violence and horror aspect of the book makes the setting have a post apocalyptic feeling so this part of the book was well done too.

The background story of Quinlan was also good. Although I can’t help but think the whole angels and Old Testament muck is just that. Muck something much more interesting could have been thought up but no. We have to go back the same past ideas that have been rehashed and reused over and over. I wasn’t interested in that. On top of that, the romance aspects and that horrible excuse of a love triangle with Eph, Fet and Nora was just terrible and unnecessary.

In fact the majority of the characters in this book just took a downturn for the not so interesting and blah. Eph becomes emo and whiny to the point where reading about him makes you want to cringe. Nora is okay but she suddenly becomes this besotted lovesick twit with Fet and they’re so bloody mismatched it wasn’t worth reading. Let’s not get started on Zack either. Oh my. Did I ever wish he would be choked to death by one of these vampiric beasts. Was he ever a waste of pages.

To top it off, the ending just didn’t do it right for me. When I read that, I nearly wanted to close the book in utter disgust but kept going a little more only to find more snippets of stupid Nora and Fet. Oh for crying out loud, I raved and loved the first two books only to get a real good slap upside the face with this drivel? Most disappointing final book in a series. Ever. This one just took that award by storm.

The only thing I liked? was Quinlan and the dark mood that set the setting and feeling for the book. Yet the rest of the characters just killed the story. I only finished it because it’s part of a series and a small part of me wanted to see it until the end. Disappointing, and sad to see it go a great series end this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read !!, Dec 28 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Trilogy, April 27 2012
K & K (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
My husband and I couldn't read them fast enough, very enjoyable and fast paced. We will be looking into Chuck Hogan's work more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vampire Series!, March 16 2012
I enjoyed every one of these novels! Amazing story and great new take on Vampires that brings them back to their scary ruthless selves. Each character was believable and I became attached to everybody involved. I pray that these books get turned into a trilogy of films in the near future. Highly recommended for those who like their vampires to scary.

4.0 out of 5 stars In eternal night, Feb. 20 2012
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Vampires, angels, a darkly grotesque world and the occasional massive explosion. Yup, this a Guillermo del Toro story. And while "The Night Eternal" has some headscratching moments (the not-sufficiently-foreshadowed origins and fate of the vampires), it's still a solid ending to del Toro and Chuck Hogan's epic horror trilogy.

Two years have passed since the Master came to New York, and the entire world has changed -- the wealthy/smart/influential people have been killed (the vampires are Occupiers?), humans are rounded up like cattle, and the toxic atmosphere keeps the world in perpetual night.

Only a few ragtag humans are still putting up a resistance -- a devastated Eph spends most of his time popping pills and moping about the loss of his son Zack, Nora is struggling to care for her mother, and Vasiliy Fet has gotten his hands on a nuke that might be able to take out the Master. And Zack -- still human -- is being kept in a mansion by the Master, who seems to be sculpting the boy in his own image.

But the key to destroying the Master may lie in an ancient book left behind by Abraham Setrakian, which hints at how the entire vampiric plague started. If they can decipher it, they might have a chance at destroying the Master -- but their enemy has thousands of years of cunning on his side.

The Strain Trilogy really shows the way that vampires should be depicted -- not as pouting sparkling pretty-boys, but as vicious, intelligent creatures with ancient power and knowledge. And "The Night Eternal" is a good -- not brilliant, but good -- way to wrap the trilogy, with plenty of suspense, horror, and vampires who actually have a smart plan for world domination.

The book is wrapped in a grimy, bleak, decayed atmosphere, with lots of bloodspattered action scenes and dark humor ("Vivas las rates!"). But del Toro weaves in thin, pale threads of mysticism, which culminate in moments of almost frightening beauty. And his prose style meshes beautifully with Chuck Hogan's, especially since they both have a knack for the gritty details (guess where the vampire excrement ends up).

The biggest problem with "The Night Eternal"? The origin of the vampires was depicted as being biological in the first two books, but in this one... it's mysticism, magic and ANGELS. This isn't entirely surprising since del Toro inserts a lot of angels into his work, but it wasn't well foreshadowed. At all.

Without Setrakian, the original group has fractured a lot -- Eph is an unreliable, emotionally distant shell of himself, and he's so doped-up on drugs that his vampire ex-wife is having trouble finding him. Nora and Fet have found solace in each other, and we still have a bunch if colorful side characters such as Quinlan the vengeful half-vampire (whose backstory is explored here), ex-gangbanger Gus, and the increasingly messed-up Zack.

"The Night Eternal" has a major central flaw, but is saved by the brilliant prose, strong characters, and vampires who actually scare you. It's not brilliant, but it is still a solid read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cash grab, Jan. 13 2012
What started out in book one as a fresh and horrifying take on vampire lore, slowly turned into a boring, meandering and confused mess. Repetitive in the extreme.
In the end, it was an aptly named series. The "Strain Trilogy" became a strain on the reader to get through this turgid offering. Save your money, and wait for the movie. It will likely be an improvement on what in the end was pocket picking by the two jokers that scribed this insult.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing end to the trilogy, Nov. 10 2011
I rather enjoyed the first 2 books... even if in "The Strain" some proofreader corrected a WWII Nazi's pistol to "Ruger" rather than Luger, which is what it would have been

But this last book... I don't know. The whole premise that the small group of core characters could stay free, when say, Eph could be tracked when he wasn't high or drunk... that whole blocks of New York would be electrified, with internet service no less...that certain countries (England!) stayed free... that the Ancients were linked to old testament angels...

Lot of dubious premises, loose ends not adequately tied up, etc etc. Read it for completeness if you've read the other two... but for myself, I was underwhelmed.

The Night Eternal: Book Three of the Strain Trilogy
The Night Eternal: Book Three of the Strain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro (Hardcover - Oct. 25 2011)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.89