5.0 out of 5 stars The pressure cooker bible
Published on Dec 17 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
After hearing so many great reviews was disappointed that the recipes had ingredients that I wouldnt normally have in my house and had some difficulty finding. Guess I'm a meat and potatoes type of person...wanted a basic book to teach me how to make the kind of things I cook now but utilize the pressure cooker. Dont feel this is a good beginners book.
Published on March 11 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The pressure cooker bible, Dec 17 2002
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I've used this cookbook since I started cooking with a pressure cooker seven years ago, the recipes are consistently reliable and delicious. I've given this book along with a pressure cooker as wedding presents to my two brothers who are now both avid pressure cooker chefs. I've also adapted recipes of my own, my mother has a holiday red cabbage recipe,cooked like Lorna Sass' own red cabbage recipe it now it takes 5 minutes to cook instead of 1 1/2 hours and doesn't make the house smell of cabbage. I'm looking forward to buying some of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great approach to pressure cooker cooking; super recipes!, March 25 1997
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
Pressure cooking is, unfortunately, very misunderstood. This book should go a long way towards changing that. It presents an excellent range of recipes, well organized and written, and every one of which we've tried has been fabulous. Because of the speed and flavor, we've been pressure cooker fans for three years, and this book opened our eyes to new possibilities. Ms. Sass's taste in spiciness tends to be a little milder than ours, but once you see where she's coming from, it's very easy to adjust. We'll try the vegetarian version of the book, too

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Cookbook, Oct. 29 2003
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
You'll find few recipes in this book that aren't excellent. It's been a fast-selling book for years now, and there are so many fine dishes in this book that you'll probably add it to those three or four cookbooks that you can really rely on (such as "How to Cook Everything"). It's that good. Just try a few of the recipes...you'll be a fan I bet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., Dec 2 2010
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (20th Anniversary Edition) (Paperback)
Very good book. I have 2 books for pressure cooking, and this is one of them. Good practical recipes, made with ingredients that you can find easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Pressure, Pressure Cooking!, Dec 10 2000
J Keistler "johnrktx@sbcglobal.net" (Lake Jackson, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I bought my first pressure cooker in the seventies in college. For years, I used it mainly to cook beans, due to its speed. I bought this book when it was first issued and have referred to it countless times, since.
Pressure cookers today are indeed different than the earlier models (including my old Mirro). With my old cooker, even though I never had an accident, I had to stay close at hand to monitor the pressure regular rattling, etc. Pressure cooking with a modern cooker is so much easier! My latest purchase, earlier this year, was an electric, programmable cooker from Salton that's as easy to use as my rice cooker or Crock Pot.
It's true that some of the recipes in this book use ingredients that are not freely available in non-urban areas of the country. No problem: just adapt to what you want to cook! I read a review by a prior person who lamented that they must be a 'meat and potatoes' person. Fine: do your meat and potatoes here! I find that baked potatoes are much more delicious done in the cooker than in the microwave. The time required is rather a split between nuking and conventional baking. Pressure cooking can do wonders on tough meat the same way that a Crock Pot can. Just be sure and brown your meat first!
However, I still use my cooker more for beans than anything. Sass gives a full and careful explanation of bean and legume cooking here, as safety must be considered.
Since this book came out several other cookbooks have been released on pressure cooking. I've bought some, and the best alternative to this book is the one published by Presto, the maker of the original pressure cooker. It's an excellent reference also, and also recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If more stars were available . . ., Oct. 1 2003
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I cannot praise this book too highly. As a long-time cook,but novice pressure cook, I found Ms. Sass's recipes simple to follow, and always as promised. Delicious doesn't begin to describe her Mushroom Barley Soup, which she correctly bills as the same comfort food that is served at Ratner's Restaurant. I grew up in NYC, and ate often at that landmark, and my family has patiently tolerated my frequent references to how scrumprious that particular soup was--well--I just produced it, courtesy of Lorna Sass, in my own pressure cooker (Kuhn-Rikon, also divine to use). The risotto with leeks, mushrooms and olives is also noteworthy, but I am confident that all these recipes are. This book, as well as The Pressured Cook, also by Sass, are all anyone needs to produce exceptionally satisfying dishes made with wholesome ingredients, and ready quickly. The portions are generous, and the introductions to each recipe are accurate, informative and inspiring. If more stars were available, I would award them.

5.0 out of 5 stars CUP is my Pressure Cooker bible, June 24 2003
Marian Cahir (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I rely on the charts for cooking beans and grains and love the risotto recipes. The timings are all right on the money. Chicken with lentils and spinach is also a great favorite. Lorna Sass really takes you by the hand and teaches you all the great things you can do in a pressure cooker.
I get rave compliments when I cook her easy-to-follow recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking Under Pressure, Feb. 8 2003
Cheryl Matejek (Frankfort, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
So far I've found easy to follow recipes that are delicious. I have tried Quick "Barbecued" Chicken, Chicken Curry, and Boston "Baked" Beans. I'm making Porcupine Meatballs tonight. And there are a lot of other recipes I want to try from this book. Lorna Sass gives a lot of expert advice here that is useful that I don't find in other pressure cooker cookbooks. I own quite a few pressure cooker cookbooks and this is one of the top books I go to. The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Pat Dailey is also good as is Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure by Sass.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nonpareil, Dec 19 2002
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
Really the only book you need on pressure cooking. Superb. the section on grains is definitive; the pressure cookers themselves who have recipes aren't this accurate on the time/pressure/water
scenario.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever tried Risotto in a pressure cooker? YUUUMMMM!, July 14 2002
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
You've never had risotto like that made in a pressure cooker. 7 minutes is all it takes once the lid is locked into place. My risotto is perfect and creamy each and every time. I make the basic risotto recipe and add sauteed prawns, roasted veggies and just about anything else I can think of. Try it, you'll never make it the old fashioned way again!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb48465a0)

Cooking Under Pressure (20th Anniversary Edition)
Cooking Under Pressure (20th Anniversary Edition) by Lorna Sass (Paperback - Oct. 26 2009)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80