5.0 out of 5 stars The Return: Midnight
The series The vampire Diaries books is so good. Way better than twilight and about 10 years older.
Anyways this book had me laughing one minute, scared the next and then literally BALLING MY EYES OUT!
I happened to be at work during that too :( had to leave my desk to calm down :P

But this book in the series is the only one to make me cry. It was my...
Published 22 months ago by Marlaina

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird ending to what started out as a great series
Published on April 2 2012 by Kathleen Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars The Return: Midnight, Oct. 17 2012
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight (Hardcover)

But this book in the series is the only one to make me cry. It was my second favorite, my favorite was the one previous to it, The return: Shadow Souls. Be prepared to love this book, I suggest you read it at home only.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird ending to what started out as a great series, April 2 2012
Kathleen Jones (St. Catharines, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight (Hardcover)
I purchased this book knowing that it was the last complete novel in the VD series written by L.J. Smith. I found the story and ending to be quite predictable, based on the two previous books in `The Return` trilogy. If I had not read and enjoyed the original three books in the series so much, I doubt I would have finished any of these newer novels. They are a little too sci-fi for me. Perhaps only a book the true die-hards will enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope, April 3 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight (Hardcover)
I hope this was not the final book in this series I still want to know more so this must be a good book If you like the first few you will enjoy this one as well. But you do have to read all to understand the whole story in each book.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever, April 18 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight (Hardcover)
im so sad that this will be her last book--thats what i have heard anyways. the last hundred pages or so i was in tears the entire time. this whole series was amazing but MIDNIGHT beats them all hands down

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, too bad LJ Smith was fired, April 15 2011
Milaine Leblanc (Saint-Eustache, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight (Hardcover)
This is the last book written by L.J Smith in the vampire diaries series. IT will also be her last since she was fired. I just love the way she explored the love triangle between elena, damon and stefan. The ending was really heart wrenching and would have been excellent, except that towards the end it is evident that there was pressure on the author to have elena and stefan end up together. So all in all a very good book. To me, this is the last book I will ever read in the vampire diaries, for I believe it is wrong to steal work from an author. It just won't be the same without LJ smith.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, April 7 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight (Hardcover)
While I have generally loved L.J. Smith's books I was very disappointed in this one. It should have been the last and should have neatly wrapped up the story.

I found Elena's behaviour at the very end cringe worthy. After slowly falling in love with Damon throughout the series, the perfect ending for me would have been her acknowledging it and being honest with Stefan. We can't choose who we love and it was very obvious that Elena is very in love with Damon. With Damon, for as far as she knew, gone, she 'settles' for Stefan. It was like ok I can't have Damon so Stefan is still sticking around we can go back to being girlfriend and boyfriend. Very lame. And while I'm not a big Stefan fan I felt both sorry for him and disgusted with him for being such a wuss and going along with it.
I assume it was set up so with pressure from Harper Teen and Alloy Entertainment who likely already had the firing of the author in mind so they could move forward with their own purpose of a Twilightesque ending of stefan and elena. I enjoyed twilight but do not want to see it repeated in the vampire diaries sequels. Its too bad an amazing love story between two fascinating and fiery characters Damon and Elena has been set up since book one (with the dumb supper and with the fates Damon forshadowed as Elena's future husband). Instead we get the dullest matchup of stefan and elena and a forced matchup of timid fainting bonnie who sucks all the passion and fire out of damon's character.

The editing in this book was also very poor. Its like no effort was made.An overall disappointing book. I won't be buying any future vampire diaries books knowing they've been stolen from the author and hijacked to publishers own agenda.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok book,, May 28 2013
Watch the tv show and dont get the book. Im such a huge fan of the show but the books are just awful :S not the same at all.

The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight
The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight by L Smith (Hardcover - March 15 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 16.05