4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars
What you're in for: Lies. Romance. Forbidden love. Near emotionless society. "Invalids". The "Crypts". Deception. Rebels. Brutality. Friendship. Love in a loveless society.

My Thoughts:
Published 2 months ago by SIKBookReviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
This book is okay and it's a creative idea but I find it kind of slow to follow and I have a hunch about what's going to happen and it just seems like it's taking forever to happen causing me to lose interest slightly but not enough to want to stop reading it.
Published 21 months ago by Rebecca

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars, Aug. 17 2014
SIKBookReviewer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

My Thoughts:
A good and captivating read with a crazy ending that makes you unable to not read the sequel! I enjoyed this book. It definitely had similarities to other dystopian novels. The way the adults who have undergone the procedure (to "cure" them from the disease of love) act reminded me of the way the people act after surgery in the book Uglies. A mindless, uncaring, everything-is-right-in-the-world, complete-and-utter-trust-in-the-government kind of attitude. Though, this story did break apart from other dystopian stories and had a uniqueness of its own.

One thing that surprised me most about this book was the quality of Lauren Oliver's writing. I have read her other two stand-alones (Before I Fall and Panic) and never understood what all the rave was about this author. She's okay and everything, but what's with everyone thinking she's so amazing? I just didn't get it. Now, however, I'm beginning to understand. I thought the writing was MUCH better in this book than her two stand-alones! This is the genre she should be writing and she should stick with it. I was surprised just how much better the quality of her writing was in this book. It seems she's meant to write this genre.

I would recommend reading this book. I liked it and I could not wait to read the sequel. Hopefully the rest of the series is just as good, if not better!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, Jan. 26 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many similes detract from story, March 20 2012
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
While the premise was interesting, overall I found the plot derivative (1984 and Equilibrium) and predictable. By the end of chapter one, I knew exactly what was going to happen, and wasn't surprised at all by the ending. While Ms. Oliver's writing style has potential, her use of similes is distracting to the point where it was an effort to keep reading. They are either strange (a bay surrounded by shore, like a belt cinching a waist) or cliché (...like a stone), and are found on nearly every page - sometimes as many as five per page. The one interesting side plot (Grace) is not developed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, May 2 2011
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
I'm not really sure as to what the hype was all about with this book. Even after finishing the book I'm still not quite sure what they hype is. I liked this book but I didn't. I can think of several reasons why I didn't like it, yet there's a balanced number of reasons why this book was good.

I liked this book because of the writing, and the character development. I enjoyed reading how Lena develops and learns how to fall in love. The plot, although slow moving and it's a fairly big book in YA standards, was good and it had all the characteristics of a dystopian society. There was so much lack of emotion (until Lena falls in love) that you can actually 'feel' bland and expressionless (almost like a drone) throughout the book. It's what takes up most of the theme through the book until love comes in. I liked the contrast though. You have the dark bland background, and then Lena comes in, blossoming like a flower with her new emotions. It's a really effective and interesting way of writing and I really did like that aspect of the book.

I really liked the storyline featuring Lena's mother and her mysterious death. It's left a dark mark on Lena's life so much it's no wonder she was looking forward to the 'cure'. The mystery surrounding her mother was really interesting and when you find out what really happened you feel the shock and awe through Lena.

The romance between Lena and Alex dominates through the book, and it was all right. I'm not much of a romance fan, they do have some type of chemistry however I still can't quite see them together though, they're not perfect by all means but it's not like they're wholly mismatched either. I liked the friendship Hana and Lena had together. I wonder why Hana chose her outcome that way, and I wished she would have come along for the ride it could have made a whole different plot. There was just something about her that made her so likable. She was so friendly, kind, she seemed like such an easy person to get along with. It's hard not to like her.

The main reason why this book didn't really grab me (aside from the bland pace of the plot) was Lena. I did not like her. There were so many moments where she made me grind my teeth, the moments - during her exam for example, where I literally had to stop and make a facepalm. Oh Lena, why can't you just smarten up when you need to be? why do you have to be so utterly daft at times? There were moments where I went to smack her upside the head for her stupid moments. Even after finishing this book I still can't begin to like her.

Aside from that, I can think of no other reason to dislike this book. I'd have to say it's still a good read and the ending nearly had me in tears. Although the idea of love being illegal may not be new, the writing in this book is superb and is worth the read. I most definitely recommend this for YA lovers, and those that love dystopian fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expectations are glad!, April 2 2014
This review is from: Delirium (Kindle Edition)
I was totally satisfied by what I tought this book would be and it is PERFECT! I adore everything about it, really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 8 2014
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
this is a great book and it was delivered quickly :-) chose it for book club and all the other girls were jus like me - couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, Jan. 19 2014
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
The book is so beautifully written. I could not put it down and can't wait to start the next one. Also, the story gives a lot to think about. Amazing!

1.0 out of 5 stars what the hell?, Aug. 26 2014
This review is from: Delirium (Kindle Edition)
What kind of ending is THAT? That book was a total waste of my time. Does she find her mom? Does Alex die?

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 25 2010
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
In the world that Lena has grown up in, love is a disease. It's called "deliria," and when people turn eighteen, they undergo a procedure called the "cure." This ensures that no one is infected by the disease.

Lena has grown up counting down the days until she can be safe and cured. But the summer before her eighteenth birthday, the unthinkable happens - she falls in love! Caught between knowing that following her head and the rules of her community by getting cured will ensure a safe future, and following her heart, Lena struggles with deciding what is right and what is wrong.

Back when I read BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver, everyone was raving about it. And while I liked it, I didn't think it was as great as everyone was claiming. So when I read about DELIRIUM, I didn't get my hopes up. But boy, was I surprised! This book was so much better than BEFORE I FALL!

Right off the bat, I was engrossed in the story. A world without love? I can't even imagine having to live and not being able to feel things. I really can't fathom it. I am a very emotional person, so the idea of being "cured" of the "disease" is astonishing to me! But the way the community was described made it feel so real. Very scary! ( I loved the quotes that were at the beginning of each chapter - they were from "real" books talking about the disease.)

I quickly grew to love Lena. She tried so hard to be good and follow the rules, yet she knew something was wrong and she followed her *gasp* heart. And I loved Alex, too! What a sweet guy!

There are several surprises in this story. I have to say that I personally didn't like the ending, but that doesn't stop it from being an amazing story. The ending is good and it fits; it's just not what I thought was going to happen. It's been awhile since I have felt that strongly about a book and thought about it so much afterwards. So far, this is my favorite book of the year (both 2010 & 2011)!

Reviewed by: Andrea

5.0 out of 5 stars 15 STARS... and that's a lot of stars!!!, Feb. 24 2011
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
Wow... Wow... Wow! I have to say it, I think I may have found my new favourite book and that is saying something. Nothing usually beats Twilight for me in the romance area, but this one is right up there. I read this book in one day; I could not put it down! Immediately I was just drawn into the world of not being allowed to love and it lasted right to the last page where I left off. When I realised it was the end of the book... I was very sad to say the least. I do not want to have to wait until next year for book 2. Delirium had the same sort of feel as The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Matched by Allie Condie, of which both I loved. I guess with this one being so fresh in my mind as I just finished it I feel so passionate about how much I love it, but I swear it was amazing. I cried which is very rare in a book for me, I laughed out loud, my hands were sweaty and my heart was racing in some parts... especially the ending... For an author to pull me in that much, it makes me happy, that's why I love to read. This is a Great book. You must give it a try. It's a world we will never live to see or could even dream of... Forbidden love, it's a classic!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Delirium
Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Paperback - Jan. 30 2012)
CDN$ 12.50 CDN$ 11.28