4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars
What you're in for: Lies. Romance. Forbidden love. Near emotionless society. "Invalids". The "Crypts". Deception. Rebels. Brutality. Friendship. Love in a loveless society.

My Thoughts:
Published 4 months ago by SIKBookReviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
This book is okay and it's a creative idea but I find it kind of slow to follow and I have a hunch about what's going to happen and it just seems like it's taking forever to happen causing me to lose interest slightly but not enough to want to stop reading it.
Published 23 months ago by Rebecca

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars, Aug. 17 2014

My Thoughts:
A good and captivating read with a crazy ending that makes you unable to not read the sequel! I enjoyed this book. It definitely had similarities to other dystopian novels. The way the adults who have undergone the procedure (to "cure" them from the disease of love) act reminded me of the way the people act after surgery in the book Uglies. A mindless, uncaring, everything-is-right-in-the-world, complete-and-utter-trust-in-the-government kind of attitude. Though, this story did break apart from other dystopian stories and had a uniqueness of its own.

One thing that surprised me most about this book was the quality of Lauren Oliver's writing. I have read her other two stand-alones (Before I Fall and Panic) and never understood what all the rave was about this author. She's okay and everything, but what's with everyone thinking she's so amazing? I just didn't get it. Now, however, I'm beginning to understand. I thought the writing was MUCH better in this book than her two stand-alones! This is the genre she should be writing and she should stick with it. I was surprised just how much better the quality of her writing was in this book. It seems she's meant to write this genre.

I would recommend reading this book. I liked it and I could not wait to read the sequel. Hopefully the rest of the series is just as good, if not better!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, Jan. 26 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many similes detract from story, March 20 2012
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
While the premise was interesting, overall I found the plot derivative (1984 and Equilibrium) and predictable. By the end of chapter one, I knew exactly what was going to happen, and wasn't surprised at all by the ending. While Ms. Oliver's writing style has potential, her use of similes is distracting to the point where it was an effort to keep reading. They are either strange (a bay surrounded by shore, like a belt cinching a waist) or cliché (...like a stone), and are found on nearly every page - sometimes as many as five per page. The one interesting side plot (Grace) is not developed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, May 2 2011
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
I'm not really sure as to what the hype was all about with this book. Even after finishing the book I'm still not quite sure what they hype is. I liked this book but I didn't. I can think of several reasons why I didn't like it, yet there's a balanced number of reasons why this book was good.

I liked this book because of the writing, and the character development. I enjoyed reading how Lena develops and learns how to fall in love. The plot, although slow moving and it's a fairly big book in YA standards, was good and it had all the characteristics of a dystopian society. There was so much lack of emotion (until Lena falls in love) that you can actually 'feel' bland and expressionless (almost like a drone) throughout the book. It's what takes up most of the theme through the book until love comes in. I liked the contrast though. You have the dark bland background, and then Lena comes in, blossoming like a flower with her new emotions. It's a really effective and interesting way of writing and I really did like that aspect of the book.

I really liked the storyline featuring Lena's mother and her mysterious death. It's left a dark mark on Lena's life so much it's no wonder she was looking forward to the 'cure'. The mystery surrounding her mother was really interesting and when you find out what really happened you feel the shock and awe through Lena.

The romance between Lena and Alex dominates through the book, and it was all right. I'm not much of a romance fan, they do have some type of chemistry however I still can't quite see them together though, they're not perfect by all means but it's not like they're wholly mismatched either. I liked the friendship Hana and Lena had together. I wonder why Hana chose her outcome that way, and I wished she would have come along for the ride it could have made a whole different plot. There was just something about her that made her so likable. She was so friendly, kind, she seemed like such an easy person to get along with. It's hard not to like her.

The main reason why this book didn't really grab me (aside from the bland pace of the plot) was Lena. I did not like her. There were so many moments where she made me grind my teeth, the moments - during her exam for example, where I literally had to stop and make a facepalm. Oh Lena, why can't you just smarten up when you need to be? why do you have to be so utterly daft at times? There were moments where I went to smack her upside the head for her stupid moments. Even after finishing this book I still can't begin to like her.

Aside from that, I can think of no other reason to dislike this book. I'd have to say it's still a good read and the ending nearly had me in tears. Although the idea of love being illegal may not be new, the writing in this book is superb and is worth the read. I most definitely recommend this for YA lovers, and those that love dystopian fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expectations are glad!, April 2 2014
I was totally satisfied by what I tought this book would be and it is PERFECT! I adore everything about it, really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 8 2014
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
this is a great book and it was delivered quickly :-) chose it for book club and all the other girls were jus like me - couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, Jan. 19 2014
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
The book is so beautifully written. I could not put it down and can't wait to start the next one. Also, the story gives a lot to think about. Amazing!

1.0 out of 5 stars what the hell?, Aug. 26 2014
What kind of ending is THAT? That book was a total waste of my time. Does she find her mom? Does Alex die?

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not the most unique book ever, but still really good!, Feb. 13 2011
Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
***This review may contain spoilers (Of this book and the "Uglies" trilogy)***

It's been a number of years since I read I last read Scott Westerfield's "Uglies" series and over time I have obviously forgotten details here and there, but after reading "Delirium" I feel like a lot of what I forgot about the "Uglies" series is coming back to me. Now you may be thinking, "Huh? How in the world would that happen?" Well because "Delirium" is so entirely similar to the "Uglies" series.

Both stories revolve around a Dystopian world where the government is trying to control its people in crazy ways. In the "Uglies" trilogy when someone hits the age of 16 they become "pretty" through ridiculous amounts of plastic surgery and whatnot (and they unknowingly become somewhat dumber/ have their thinking dimmed down in order to keep them like sheep, unable to think for themselves/ unable to rebel against the government). In "Delirium" when someone hits the age of 18 they are "cured", a procedure which makes them unable to contract amor deliria nervosa, better known as love. Their government has entirely convinced then that love is the root of all evil, from love comes jealously, hate, and the likes of and such emotions lead to unrest, death, pretty much everything but the apocalypse (or who knows, they probably do think that love will led to the apocalypse).

And then there is the characters. In the "Uglies" series Shay starts to question the world around her and brings to the attention of the main character Tally that all is not as what it appears to be. She begins to opens Tally's eyes up to a whole new world around her and encourages her to partake in illegal activities in which the both of them couple get in major trouble for. In "Delirium" Hana also starts to question the world around her and shows main character Lena that their life has so much more to offer them- like Shay, Hana encourages Lena to partake in illegal activities. Both Tally and Lena cannot wait until the day that they can have their procedures... That is, until they meet a boy...

The boys...? Both boys are rebels, they live outside of the world that the government has created, they are "wild', "dangerous" and totally "off-limits". In "Uglies" David in born in the Smoke, the world outside of the government created world, from rebel parents- those who fled from the controlled world. He has is still an "ugly" as he never had the procedure to make him "pretty". Alex in "Delirium" was also born in the world outside of the government created one- the Wild, to parents who had fled from said government created world. He also has never underwent his procedure- the procedure to cure him from love. Both boys stand for everything that the governments hate and fear.

As for the differences between the two books? Well, they exist, but in my opinion the similarities far outweigh them. That being said, I do think that many people will enjoy "Delirium"- though I am sure that there are some hardcore "Uglies" fans out there who will be shaking their fists at Lauren yelling "You completely copied Scott's book!" Thankfully, I am not one of those people. I can read countless vampire/ werewolf/ witch/ whatever stories whose plot lines have been overplayed again and again and never get sick of them. But what I wonder (and I don't mean this in a mean way whatsoever I am honestly just curious) is what is Lauren Oliver's opinion in this whole matter? Had she read the "Uglies" trilogy prior to penning this novel? Was she aware that her book seems entirely reminiscent of the "Uglies" trilogy?

When all is said and done I much say that overall I prefer the characters of "Delirium's" over "Uglies". I feel like Alex's personality was a gazillion more-there than David's was. And I couldn't stand Shay whatsoever in the "Uglies" trilogy (I'd say that if I had to pick one turn-off from that series, it'd be her), but I really liked Hana. I think that "Delirium" is a lot softer of a book and that those who love romance will love this book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 25 2010
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
In the world that Lena has grown up in, love is a disease. It's called "deliria," and when people turn eighteen, they undergo a procedure called the "cure." This ensures that no one is infected by the disease.

Lena has grown up counting down the days until she can be safe and cured. But the summer before her eighteenth birthday, the unthinkable happens - she falls in love! Caught between knowing that following her head and the rules of her community by getting cured will ensure a safe future, and following her heart, Lena struggles with deciding what is right and what is wrong.

Back when I read BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver, everyone was raving about it. And while I liked it, I didn't think it was as great as everyone was claiming. So when I read about DELIRIUM, I didn't get my hopes up. But boy, was I surprised! This book was so much better than BEFORE I FALL!

Right off the bat, I was engrossed in the story. A world without love? I can't even imagine having to live and not being able to feel things. I really can't fathom it. I am a very emotional person, so the idea of being "cured" of the "disease" is astonishing to me! But the way the community was described made it feel so real. Very scary! ( I loved the quotes that were at the beginning of each chapter - they were from "real" books talking about the disease.)

I quickly grew to love Lena. She tried so hard to be good and follow the rules, yet she knew something was wrong and she followed her *gasp* heart. And I loved Alex, too! What a sweet guy!

There are several surprises in this story. I have to say that I personally didn't like the ending, but that doesn't stop it from being an amazing story. The ending is good and it fits; it's just not what I thought was going to happen. It's been awhile since I have felt that strongly about a book and thought about it so much afterwards. So far, this is my favorite book of the year (both 2010 & 2011)!

Reviewed by: Andrea

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Delirium
Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Paperback - Jan. 30 2012)
CDN$ 12.50 CDN$ 11.25