4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written
I'm not really sure as to what the hype was all about with this book. Even after finishing the book I'm still not quite sure what they hype is. I liked this book but I didn't. I can think of several reasons why I didn't like it, yet there's a balanced number of reasons why this book was good.

I liked this book because of the writing, and the character...
Published on May 2 2011 by Karoline

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
This book is okay and it's a creative idea but I find it kind of slow to follow and I have a hunch about what's going to happen and it just seems like it's taking forever to happen causing me to lose interest slightly but not enough to want to stop reading it.
Published 18 months ago by Rebecca

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, Jan. 26 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many similes detract from story, March 20 2012
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
While the premise was interesting, overall I found the plot derivative (1984 and Equilibrium) and predictable. By the end of chapter one, I knew exactly what was going to happen, and wasn't surprised at all by the ending. While Ms. Oliver's writing style has potential, her use of similes is distracting to the point where it was an effort to keep reading. They are either strange (a bay surrounded by shore, like a belt cinching a waist) or cliché (...like a stone), and are found on nearly every page - sometimes as many as five per page. The one interesting side plot (Grace) is not developed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, May 2 2011
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)

I liked this book because of the writing, and the character development. I enjoyed reading how Lena develops and learns how to fall in love. The plot, although slow moving and it's a fairly big book in YA standards, was good and it had all the characteristics of a dystopian society. There was so much lack of emotion (until Lena falls in love) that you can actually 'feel' bland and expressionless (almost like a drone) throughout the book. It's what takes up most of the theme through the book until love comes in. I liked the contrast though. You have the dark bland background, and then Lena comes in, blossoming like a flower with her new emotions. It's a really effective and interesting way of writing and I really did like that aspect of the book.

I really liked the storyline featuring Lena's mother and her mysterious death. It's left a dark mark on Lena's life so much it's no wonder she was looking forward to the 'cure'. The mystery surrounding her mother was really interesting and when you find out what really happened you feel the shock and awe through Lena.

The romance between Lena and Alex dominates through the book, and it was all right. I'm not much of a romance fan, they do have some type of chemistry however I still can't quite see them together though, they're not perfect by all means but it's not like they're wholly mismatched either. I liked the friendship Hana and Lena had together. I wonder why Hana chose her outcome that way, and I wished she would have come along for the ride it could have made a whole different plot. There was just something about her that made her so likable. She was so friendly, kind, she seemed like such an easy person to get along with. It's hard not to like her.

The main reason why this book didn't really grab me (aside from the bland pace of the plot) was Lena. I did not like her. There were so many moments where she made me grind my teeth, the moments - during her exam for example, where I literally had to stop and make a facepalm. Oh Lena, why can't you just smarten up when you need to be? why do you have to be so utterly daft at times? There were moments where I went to smack her upside the head for her stupid moments. Even after finishing this book I still can't begin to like her.

Aside from that, I can think of no other reason to dislike this book. I'd have to say it's still a good read and the ending nearly had me in tears. Although the idea of love being illegal may not be new, the writing in this book is superb and is worth the read. I most definitely recommend this for YA lovers, and those that love dystopian fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expectations are glad!, April 2 2014
I was totally satisfied by what I tought this book would be and it is PERFECT! I adore everything about it, really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 8 2014
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
this is a great book and it was delivered quickly :-) chose it for book club and all the other girls were jus like me - couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, Jan. 19 2014
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
The book is so beautifully written. I could not put it down and can't wait to start the next one. Also, the story gives a lot to think about. Amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars 15 STARS... and that's a lot of stars!!!, Feb. 24 2011
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
Wow... Wow... Wow! I have to say it, I think I may have found my new favourite book and that is saying something. Nothing usually beats Twilight for me in the romance area, but this one is right up there. I read this book in one day; I could not put it down! Immediately I was just drawn into the world of not being allowed to love and it lasted right to the last page where I left off. When I realised it was the end of the book... I was very sad to say the least. I do not want to have to wait until next year for book 2. Delirium had the same sort of feel as The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Matched by Allie Condie, of which both I loved. I guess with this one being so fresh in my mind as I just finished it I feel so passionate about how much I love it, but I swear it was amazing. I cried which is very rare in a book for me, I laughed out loud, my hands were sweaty and my heart was racing in some parts... especially the ending... For an author to pull me in that much, it makes me happy, that's why I love to read. This is a Great book. You must give it a try. It's a world we will never live to see or could even dream of... Forbidden love, it's a classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall in Love with Delerium, April 12 2013
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
This book puts you in a world where Love is forbidden and considered a disease. Everyone is given a cure when they turn 18, and assigned a career, marriage partner, income class and the amount of children they should have. A society that controls the books you read and the music you listen too. Every City is fenced in and guarded to protect the city from the Invalids. Invalids are people that have escaped the cure, and live in the wilderness. This story follow's Lena and her best friend Hana as they struggle to come to terms with their future as their 18th birthday approaches. Lena who has been looking forward to the cure because she desperately wants to feel normal finds herself falling for Alex an Invalid who is living within the fence. She struggles with her new feelings and her families past. Hana uses this time to rebel and experiment at underground parties. This book was easy to read and enjoyable, it puts you in a world that is similar to our own but also completely different. It was nice to follow Lena as she discovers love, and to see how much love can change a person. All three of the books in this series are worth reading, I highly recommend them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Writing, Great Story, Jan. 30 2013
This review is from: Delirium (Paperback)
I loved this book and I loved Oliver's writing.

Delerium is a dystopian novel where they've cured the disease of love and everyone is compliant and complacent and there is very little conflict or crime. You get the operation when you turn 18, typically. Lena, who has looked forward to receiving the cure her whole life, falls in love a couple of months before she is to receive the cure. She also battles the demons of her family's shame: her mother's suicide, an uncle who ran away...

Like I said, Oliver's writing is amazing. At times, it is even poetic. I loved simply reading the sentences she put together.

The characters are well rounded and engaging. I could feel for Lena and the dilemma she was facing - going with what she has been brought up to believe and what her family, government and society expect from her, or to follow her heart. It's an age old dilemma but spotlighted in a dystopian future.

The other characters where great too. Hana, Lena's best friend, was a perfect foil. Their friendship evolved and changed, which felt realistic. Then there was Alex. The romance between Lena and Alex was nice and I appreciated how conflicted Lena was about the whole thing.

Then, there was the ending. I won't say anything to spoil it, but I loved that it was unexpected.

I will definitely be reading the next one in this series, along with everything else by Oliver that I can get my hands on.

5.0 out of 5 stars this was great to listen to, Aug. 1 2012
Laura Fabiani (Montreal) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Delirium (Audio CD)
I have been wanting to read this book forever and so finally decided to listen to the audio book for three reasons. The first is that it was listed as one of Goodreads top best YA audio books, second because listening to it fitted my schedule better than reading it, and thirdly because I just discovered the allure and excitement of audio books. This book was everything I hoped it would be. Exciting, passionate and a fantastic listen!

Magdalena (Lena) lives at a time when love is considered a disease'--amor deliria nervosa. They discovered a cure for it, a procedure that every person goes through when they turn eighteen. The cure kind of numbs the people so that they do not feel the passion and pain that is associated with love and euphoria. Lena is an orphan living with her aunt. Her own mother, who had been submitted to the cure procedure three times without the desired effect, committed suicide when Lena was six years old. Lena is looking forward to the cure because she doesn't want to end up like her mother, but then she meets Alex and everything changes.

Essentially, for me, the story delves deeply into the themes of love, eros and filia, shown through her relationship with Alex, her best friend Hannah, and her mother, as seen through flashbacks. I liked all these characters and was certainly able to relate to Lena's feelings as she experienced the beauty of first love. It brought me back to my own teenage years. Of course being Italian, I totally got and absolutely loved the whole two-young-people-in-love-against-the-world concept (think Romeo and Juliette) as well as Lena's frustrations with the deluded world in which she lives.

The narrator does an excellent job of capturing Lena's voice and my heart raced as the narrator's voice intensified as the plot climaxed. She captured the moments of teenage angst, the coldness of the aunt, and Alex's tender love for Lena. I relished this listening experience, savoring every minute. This is the first YA audio book I listen to and it's made me eager to listen to others in this genre.

The ending left me soaring and eager to read the next book in this trilogy, Pandemonium. There are a few important threads left hanging, as is expected of an ending to the first book in a trilogy. If you want to read this book, but don't have time, consider the audio book. It's really worth listening to.

Note: This book contains 2 f-words and a few mild religious expletives, and one scene with some nudity, no sex.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Delirium
Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Paperback - Jan. 30 2012)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89