5.0 out of 5 stars L.a Candy
Expédition reçu dans un délai très court en plus de recevoir un livre en parfait état en plus d'avoir obtenu ce livre pour un excellent prix.
Published on April 22 2012 by C.drolet

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss something?
Although the book itself was okay, I was quite confused by the end. I wish I had known that the book was the first of a series. And is it?
Published on Nov. 10 2009 by R. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars A light and fluffy read, April 30 2013
This review is from: L.a. Candy (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book more than I thought it was. It was a quick and fun read. I will probably be reading the other books in the series to see what happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars L.a Candy, April 22 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, July 26 2009
T (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.a. Candy (Hardcover)
I was expecting more of a memoir type story and thought it might be a bit interesting but most probably kind of boring. Was looking for something to read while watching my kids at the beach.....nothing that would consume my attention. Well, this was one of those books that I wanted to read until I finished it. I was so surprised at how well it was written. It's chick-lit so don't expect anything deep with hidden neaning and all that stuff......it's just a really fun, good read. Can't wait to read the next one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss something?, Nov. 10 2009
R. Taylor (Saskatoon, SK, CAN) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read :), June 18 2009
Kate Whitfield "Author of The Empowered Gal's... (www.empoweredgal.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.a. Candy (Hardcover)
Thought it was a fun read - picked it up mostly out of curiosity, but ended up enjoying it. I think it will be a fun summer read for lots of teens, and if you ask me, anything to get teens reading is a great thing!

Kate Whitfield, Author ofThe Empowered Gal's 9 Life Lessons: Keys, Tips, Strategies, Advice & Everything You Need to Know to Be a Confident, Successful, in Control Gal

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than I expected!, Jan. 12 2011
Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: L.a. Candy (Hardcover)
I'm not going to lie, when I first heard that Lauren Conrad was writing a book I laughed and rolled my eyes thinking, "Lauren Conrad?!? Lauren Conrad?!? What does she have? A degree in fashion! How is a degree in fashion supposed to help you write a book?!?" I mean, I loved "The Hills", it was a good little drama on MTV chronicling Lauren and her friends lives as they tried to make it in the fashion world and whatnot, but it was completely mindless (*cough, cough, Speidi anyone?*)...

So imagine my surprise when I read her first book, "L.A. Candy" and I find that I actually quite enjoy it and she might be a pretty okay author (note pretty good author- she ain't no Rachel Vincent or Cassandra Claire- yet). And now as I write this review I really cannot think of any complaints I had of the book, well, except for the fact that it had a cliff-hanger ending- you will come to learn that I loathe cliff-hanger endings. Seriously, if I pay for the full price of a book I expect a full/ complete story to come out of it ;).

I think that it was very successful at fulfilling its goals: appeal to young girls: check, putting the author on New York Times Best Seller List: check, increase Lauren's popularity as she was no longer going to be on "The Hills" anymore, check. And all I have to think is, "Good for her! Lauren has not been able to be successful as a fashion designer, reality TV star, but now as an author".

And you know what? I think that I would actually recommend the book! And... *drum roll please*... I do think I will continue on with this series. Yes, yes, this is as shocking to me (who was somewhat dreading reading this book) as I am sure it is shocking to you since I am slightly bashing of "mindless teen girl novels".

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Jan. 13 2010
This review is from: L.a. Candy (Paperback)
This novel by reality TV starlet Lauren Conrad chronicles the lives of Jane Roberts and her best friend, Scarlett Harp, as they move to LA and become the stars of a reality TV show. The book, which is based loosely on Conrad's own life, is a little slow in the beginning, but picks up a bit once Jane and Scarlett are discovered at a club by a TV producer.

From that point on the two, though a little hesitant at first, decide to audition for the show and their lives change drastically.

While Jane takes to the cameras being around easily, Scarlett is not so excited and wonders what she got herself into. Throw into the mix two other cast members, Gaby, a total ditz, and Madison, a total witch with a nice girl facade, and things get even more complicated.

When Jane starts dating Jesse, who happens to be the best friend of her friend-slash-major crush, Braden, things spiral out of control quickly and the jealousy of someone Jane thought she could trust ruins her life in an instant.

With lots of run-of-the-mill Hollywood cliches (blondes, drugs, cosmetic surgery, etc), L.A. CANDY almost fails to deliver an original storyline. In addition, in pretty much every single chapter, Jane and her friends are drinking (usually vodka soda for Jane) making it seem to the unknowing person who has never been to LA that you can't have any fun in Tinseltown without being drunk.

It is a quick and light read that would be great for the beach or a day when you don't need any actual depth in what you're reading. However, the ending is a cliffhanger and leaves you wanting to know what happens to Jane next.

Reviewed by: Angela S.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not great, July 6 2009
This review is from: L.a. Candy (Hardcover)
There's nothing wrong with this book, per se, it's just kind of boring. The writing is simplistic, which is actually fine. It's not meant to be great literature. I think what really bothers me is that this book doesn't make the behind-the-scenes life of reality shows all that exciting. I have always found most reality shows (including Ms. Conrad's "The Hills") to be incredibly boring, but I still decided to give this book a chance. Frankly, it's a bit boring too.

The show's producer is meant to come off as a bit evil or opportunistic, but that never really comes across. The situations are intended to come off as "scripted", which I completely buy, but even then the book is a bit boring about that. Again, this book isn't horrible, but it wasn't very good, particularly compared to "The Real Real" by Emma Mclaughlin. I read that last month and it had the same premise, but was a much better book. The characters had a lot of depth, the evil producer was actually "evil" and the "reality" situations felt more contrived. Plus, it was actually funny.

This wasn't a bad effort on Ms. Conrad's behalf, and I might be willing to give the next book in the series a try, but I can only hope it gets better. I was really hoping for a sequel to The Real Real just so I could revisit the characters, but I don't feel that excited about this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing page turner, June 3 2010
S. Gatien "Sooph1e" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.a. Candy (Paperback)
I Enjoyed every second of this book. I was doubting it at first, thinking it was a publicity stunt, but Lauren Conrad surprised me. A delightful and refreshing surprise. It will go down in my I-Wish-I-Wrote-This category. A must!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book!, April 19 2010
Melanie Renwick "Book Fiend" (Cambridge, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: L.a. Candy (Paperback)
While not a fan at all of reality shows, especially The Hills, I was very interested in seeing if Lauren Conrad would be able to write as well as she designs. I actually bought this book as well as the second book in hopes that the story would be interesting and it definately didn't disappoint. I was captivated as soon as I opened the book and found it hard to put down. The characters seemed so real as well as the ways they deal with the many different and difficult situations thrown at them. For being a new author I give Lauren 5 stars-she wrote an extremely interesting and captivating novel that leaves you excited to grab the next book and see where the story goes.

L.a. Candy
L.a. Candy by Lauren Conrad (Hardcover - June 16 2009)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 16.05