5.0 out of 5 stars This is zen, right?
Published on Jan. 20 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Too repetitive...needs more practical advice
Published on July 18 2000 by Keith F. Corso

3.0 out of 5 stars Too repetitive...needs more practical advice, July 18 2000
Keith F. Corso (Ohio) - See all my reviews
Do not be mislead by the title. If you are looking for tactics you can use to simplfy your live, you will not find these here. This book talks more to what is happening in you mind. The author contends that we think about things in one of two ways. We either analyze a situation or thought to death or we let the thought come and go. It is when we allow free flow thinking to guide us that we feel less rushed and more in control thus living a simpler life. The ideas in this book make a great deal of sense. However, after reading about three-quarters of the way through, you want solutions to the situations. You want to know what you can do to get into the free flow. There is a lot of theoretical stuff here that gets repeatred time and again, but very little practical advice about how to get to the desired place.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is zen, right?, Jan. 20 2003
By A Customer
I see so many parallels in this book with Zen quotes that I can't help but think this is what Zen is all about. Basically, the authors teach, "Your thoughts are not you!" They say that your sense of being is usually made up of the thoughts you have, and that your feelings and emotions are preceded and created by your thoughts, so nip all your destructive thoughts, and there you have your true self, which they call "the healthy psychological functioning." This "healthy psychological functioning" must be what Zen master Rinzai called "true man" in one of his sermons, where he proclaimed, "On your lump of red flesh is a true man without rank who is always going in and out of the face of every one of you. Those who have not yet experienced him-look! look!" The authors not only provide great analysis on the workings of the mind but also teach a simple but practical way of seeing for yourself the difference between "analytical, past-bound mode" and "non-analytical, free-flowing, present mode." It's interesting the authors seem to be conveying without religious connotations what Buddha taught more than two millenia ago.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buddhism Lite, Jan. 26 1999
By A Customer
It seems like large chunks of the text are paraphrases of Buddhist belief with serial numbers filed off (so to speak). The similarities aren't acknowledged at all, which I find a bit annoying. The authors give all the credit to the 'Psychology of Mind' organization.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the self help book to put all others out of print!, July 8 1998
By A Customer
As a single parent with a demanding career and three active (athletic & academic) teen children I've taken stress to an art form. This is the first "how to de-stress" book that provides the solution to stress without suggesting that you move to the mountains of West Virginia and live on roots and berries. This book has truly allowed me to continue to live life at the 150% level and love every minute of it. The secret: live in the moment not the past or the future. Sound simple? The amazing secret is that it is simple -- and it works. It's really true that this very moment is called "the present" because it truly is a gift. So ENJOY!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Book I have ever read., April 22 1998
Diane Eblin (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This book should be read by every person. The world would be a better and happier place to live. Happines is now the rule, not the exception in my life since I read this book. They make it very easy to understand and put into practice the power of thought. I actually had stress withdraw for 2 weeks I was so stressed before I read this book and adopted their philosophy. I am discussing this book with as many small groups as possible. I am looking for a study guide. Please let me know if one is available. I would also like to contact Richard Carlson to thank him. Read This Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars "A simple and concise way of life", April 11 2001
David G. Stokes (St. George, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This book just plain made sense. I know, I know, the concepts in it borrow from Buddhism, and yet it was refreshing to read a book which did not have any religious connotations. It is the 'normal' thing to do to analyze everything that comes into our minds, but if we want to have inner peace in our lives and to have a sense of flow, we must not force our thoughts. I spent a long time reading this book because I enjoyed it so much. It is worth the effort to adopt this way of life in order to enjoy life to the fullest.

5.0 out of 5 stars most helpful self-help book I ever read, Nov. 3 1998
After months of therapy, Prozac, and reading self-help books, I read this one. WOW. I finally understood what the other books were about. This book made it all clear to me at last- how to quiet my mind and be present in the moment! My life was transformed by this incredible book! For the first time in my adult life I know HOW to relax.I do not exagerate when I say that if everyone read this book, the world would be a very different place.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is worth reading, Feb. 6 2000
By A Customer
This book talks about living in the present. To do that, don't focus on planning your life away, and let go of the things in the past. It tells you that all stress in your life is a result of thoughts, and that sometimes you need to relax and let the "free flowing" mode of thinking take over. Nothing new, but it certainly shows you how to spot things and make the necessary adjustments. Overall, worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best self help books I've read in a while, May 26 1998
Everyone should read this book. This will help everyone to live a better life. It is easy to understand as his explanation is quite thorough. The title could be a lot better, although you will be experiencing a certain calmness and peace when you become "aware" of the message given here. It will certainly be a blessing in your life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buddhism Lite, Jan. 26 1999
By A Customer

Slowing Down To The Speed Of Life: How to Create a More Peaceful, Simpler Life from the Inside Out
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26