4.0 out of 5 stars Wow...
This is a funny but insightful read. Russell is very forthcoming with his experiences- both positive and negative. My favourite part is that he never blames anyone else for his mistakes- he owns up to them and shows you have to work hard to regain trust. Really good book!
Published on Feb. 15 2010 by Amanda Black

2.0 out of 5 stars It isn't funny and it isn't even that compelling
Published on May 25 2012 by Mary Lavers

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow..., Feb. 15 2010
Amanda Black "hockeychick" (Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, Aug. 23 2008
Melissa Shaw (Canada) - See all my reviews
The subject matter can be pretty awful: The book begins with Brand's sad childhood and moves on to accounts of depravity fueled by his addictions to drugs and sex.
And where his nearly pathological self-absorption might be tough to swallow, Brand writes like a good novelist. He paints the characters of his life with sensitivity and a wicked, but sweet, sense of humour that somehow makes it all easier to take.
This is by far the best book I read this summer. My copy is battered and water-stained and has sand stuck in its pages because it went everywhere with me until I was done.
So whether you find him terribly annoying or terribly adorable--and few who have heard of Russell Brand can be found outside of one of those camps--I venture that you will never forget his story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fun., July 16 2009
I think this guy is hilarious. He's also very good at making fun of himself, which is a quality many of us don't have. Even so, it's a great read about his life and failures. I think just about anyone would enjoy this one. I'd also recommend, to go along with it, I Was Told There'd Be Cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, Sept. 13 2008
Cassandra S. Page (Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastically written. he combines Comedy with tragedy in the most amazing way. Even if you don't like Russell Brand I recommend reading this book because his life is something out of a movie, and he knows how to tell his story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than other celebrity books, May 25 2014
Russell Brand's witty stand-up translates will to the pages of a book. He recounts his childhood and early career with the same exuberance one can expect from seeing his routine. He punctuates his tales with philosophical musings and gives reasons why he may have acted in this way. As he progresses from promising drama student to addict he notes how his friends and family continued to pull him from the depths and attempt to set him straight.

He swings from success to failure but never pauses on either of these, instead he charges forward to the next business venture or act of debauchery. On the surface one wouldn't expect a person like Brand to have the potential for deep thoughts or eloquent writing but often I found myself underlines a particularly poignant line or pausing to look yet another word up in the dictionary. Eventually he finds himself in rehab where he cleans himself up ready to take on the world of comedy sober.

Those who enjoy Brand's comedy will find this book very enjoyable. His insights into his past illuminate parts of who he is today. Even people who are unfamiliar with Brand's work will no doubt be entertained by his stories. Rarely did I find myself becoming bored during a chapter or wishing he'd 'get to the point already'. Brand knows when to elaborate and when to cut to the chase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a must read for public school, Oct. 12 2014
This review is from: My Booky Wook: A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-Up (Paperback)
I like Russell Brand sense of humour but this book should be rated X, not a good read for kids in case they get their hands on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be Read!, Sept. 8 2014
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Kindle Edition)
Love Russell!! Love his work and this book is no exception!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Dec 16 2014
Good book

2.0 out of 5 stars It isn't funny and it isn't even that compelling, May 25 2012
Mary Lavers "CozyLittleBookJournal" (Dartmouth, NS, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I think Russell Brand is a pretty smart and funny guy. I love him on late night talk show appearances. He talks a mile a minute but it's usually quite clever and charming. I also know that he's a drug and sex addict who has gone through recovery. This book is...well....it's not as funny as I expected, but it's not a tragic addiction story either. It's somewhere in between. Maybe that sounds like a good thing. It wasn't really. It sounds like this book was written with a dictaphone. Maybe Russell Brand rambled on a mile a minute and someone just transcribed everything verbatim. It isn't funny and it isn't even that compelling. Maybe the audio book would be better?

For more reviews, please visit my blog, CozyLittleBookJournal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, self-indulgent, hard to read, Sept. 1 2010
I couldn't get into this book. I kept waiting for something to "happen" or for the protagonist to demonstrate some sort of charm or interesting character. The book read like a lot of navel-gazing. I didn't read beyond the 1st 20% (life is too short to waste on that sort of a read), and was very sorry I had spent the money.

My Booky Wook: A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-Up
My Booky Wook: A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-Up by Russell Brand (Paperback - May 10 2010)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36