4.0 out of 5 stars Wow...
This is a funny but insightful read. Russell is very forthcoming with his experiences- both positive and negative. My favourite part is that he never blames anyone else for his mistakes- he owns up to them and shows you have to work hard to regain trust. Really good book!
Published on Feb. 15 2010 by Amanda Black

2.0 out of 5 stars It isn't funny and it isn't even that compelling
Published 23 months ago by Mary Lavers

2.0 out of 5 stars It isn't funny and it isn't even that compelling, May 25 2012
Mary Lavers "CozyLittleBookJournal" (Dartmouth, NS, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I think Russell Brand is a pretty smart and funny guy. I love him on late night talk show appearances. He talks a mile a minute but it's usually quite clever and charming. I also know that he's a drug and sex addict who has gone through recovery. This book is...well....it's not as funny as I expected, but it's not a tragic addiction story either. It's somewhere in between. Maybe that sounds like a good thing. It wasn't really. It sounds like this book was written with a dictaphone. Maybe Russell Brand rambled on a mile a minute and someone just transcribed everything verbatim. It isn't funny and it isn't even that compelling. Maybe the audio book would be better?

For more reviews, please visit my blog, CozyLittleBookJournal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow..., Feb. 15 2010
Amanda Black "hockeychick" (Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fun., July 16 2009
I think this guy is hilarious. He's also very good at making fun of himself, which is a quality many of us don't have. Even so, it's a great read about his life and failures. I think just about anyone would enjoy this one. I'd also recommend, to go along with it, I Was Told There'd Be Cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, Aug. 23 2008
Melissa Shaw (Canada) - See all my reviews
The subject matter can be pretty awful: The book begins with Brand's sad childhood and moves on to accounts of depravity fueled by his addictions to drugs and sex.
And where his nearly pathological self-absorption might be tough to swallow, Brand writes like a good novelist. He paints the characters of his life with sensitivity and a wicked, but sweet, sense of humour that somehow makes it all easier to take.
This is by far the best book I read this summer. My copy is battered and water-stained and has sand stuck in its pages because it went everywhere with me until I was done.
So whether you find him terribly annoying or terribly adorable--and few who have heard of Russell Brand can be found outside of one of those camps--I venture that you will never forget his story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, Sept. 13 2008
Cassandra S. Page (Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastically written. he combines Comedy with tragedy in the most amazing way. Even if you don't like Russell Brand I recommend reading this book because his life is something out of a movie, and he knows how to tell his story.

1.0 out of 5 stars 350 pages of nothing, Feb. 3 2011
This review is from: My Booky Wook: A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-Up (Paperback)
I purchased this book hoping for a tale of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, like several other celebrity biographies I've read (long hard road out of hell, etc..) where the protagonist has an emotional journey coping with success, battling daemons and ultimately rising to the top. I wanted a book which I can both see the protagonist as a villain at first only to come to respect their strength of character as the story progresses. This emotional roller coaster is not present in My Booky Wook. In fact nothing other than boring (never funny) anecdotes, poorly strung together, is in this book. Russell is nothing more than a whiny child who throws tantrums because he's never understood, and is an outsider to every social situation he encounters, yet so desperately wants to fit in, and be the center of attention. Boo hoo hoo. Every chapter feels incomplete, like he starts with a thought, then goes off on a tangent, then a few more, never to go back to the original train of thought. they all seem almost like a series of non-sequiturs. All in all russell is not a good writer, and I'm sure this book would have been far superior had he got a ghost writer such as Neil Strauss or Anthony Bozza to write it. As it is, it's not a good read, so skip it and get something, anything else in this genre. I wish I had.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, self-indulgent, hard to read, Sept. 1 2010
I couldn't get into this book. I kept waiting for something to "happen" or for the protagonist to demonstrate some sort of charm or interesting character. The book read like a lot of navel-gazing. I didn't read beyond the 1st 20% (life is too short to waste on that sort of a read), and was very sorry I had spent the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, Nov. 19 2010
I couldn't get past the thrid chapter. I really wanted to like this book (mostly because i spent money on it) but I just couldn't do it. I thought to myself, there are to many books in the world to waste my time on this one. I didn't laugh once. His writing style is so hard to follow. Its one of those books that makes him look smart for using big words and me feel dumb. This was my first autobiography so I hope I can muster up enough strength to carry on and buy another one. Any ideas?

ARRAY(0xa5daead4)

My Booky Wook: A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-Up
My Booky Wook: A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-Up by Russell Brand (Paperback - May 10 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43