5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book if your little child is an abusive monster!, Dec 21 2009
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
If your child, even as young as one year old, is wild, explosive and starting to physically abuse you, I HIGHLY recommend this book. My son is six, and I wish I'd had this book when he was one. Even so, it vindicated my years of decisions to NOT use corporal punishment (and not to medicate or pathologize), since, as the book rightly says, "every child wants to be good"!

NO OTHER professionals understand these children (99% will automatically assume the family is violent) or can resist labeling them incorrectly with miscellaneous trendy dysfunctions, but this author resists.

Greene has a solid step-by-step approach to dealing with the explosions, and I found his approach helpful. But really, the fact that he NAMED my wild child correctly; treated him humanely; didn't pathologize him or our family; didn't infantilize and bore me as a reader; and didn't suggest drugging him -- these things made all the difference!

I can't say enough about this book. Other people see a monstrous brat and assume the worst (or else the behaviour only happens at home and nobody believes you); Greene sees an "explosive" little child (otherwise smart, healthy and sane) who WANTS to be and do good for himself and his family.

Don't wait til your child is too old! Buy this book NOW if you have a feeling that, even as a young toddler, your child's temper is white-hot. Even if s/he's too young to reason with, you'll start developing Greene's method and make it into habit.

I could kiss this Greene guy for writing this book! And it's so perfectly titled!

(And I'm not a shill for him or the publisher -- I've wasted money and read LOTS of utterly useless parenting books that went straight to recycling. Most psychologists write lousy books that should have been two-page pamphlets.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - realistic help, Jan. 21 2010
JLT (Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I have read many books about how to deal with my warm, funny, smart, explosive child. Other books have helped me understand WHO he is, which has helped me with my patience, but this is the first book to offer practical, realistic, doable instructions on how to make living with him easier. Part way through the book, I tried out the "empathy" step. Understand that I thought I had oodles of empathy for my son, afterall, I lie awake at night wondering how I can help him. But taking what felt like a fairly ridiculous step of just repeating what he had said turned situations around on a dime. Presto. I know we still have work to do, but this was truly like having someone wave a magic wand for us, and is helping us see that there is light at the end of what is still a very long tunnel. I disagree with the reviewers who say this is not preparing children for the real world, and that it is just a diversion around problems -- they either didn't read the book, or they read it with preconceived notions and didn't understand what the author is saying. Teaching your child how to deal with problems is absolutely preparing him for the real world, and probably one of the most important things that we can do for our children. I didn't buy this book a year ago because I didn't want to have an "explosive" child. I bought softer sounding titles instead, but nothing helped. This book is about Collaborative Problem Solving, which is something the world could use a lot more of, and I heartily recommend it to anyone, parent, or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Start!, March 11 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children (Paperback)
I've been trying this out with my daughter. One day she was on her way into a fit with tears and whining when she said, "Mom, I want to do that talking thing right now." I hadn't told her I was trying something new on her, but she must have noticed anyway. It's surprising how often she can't come up with any solutions to her problems. The book makes sense and I'm optimistic that my daughter will become more emotionally mature in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 4 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Many helpful ideas and explanations

5.0 out of 5 stars new glasses to see with, June 23 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This book was wonderful and gave me new glasses to see my challenging son with. As I use the tools this book have me, I expect to see many improvements. But the most valuable improvement will always be seeing my son and his challenges in a new light.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Explosive Child, June 6 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ross Greene describes the reaction of children who have not acquired self control perhaps at the same rate as their peers when faced with situations that are beyond their ability.As he says "they would if they could"meaning children do not set out to be unruly but explode, have temper tantrums etc. when they become overwhelmed by the demands placed on them.A must read by parents who are at their ropes end and don't know what they can do to raise a child who is more compliant with requests by parents and teachers. Speaking of teachers, they would benefit greatly by reading Ross Greene's book,"Lost at School" so that parents and teachers would be on the same page when interacting with "difficult" children.The outcome is a win-win for everyone involved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to help you better understand your child's explosions, May 28 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Very practical advice, with examples that you will be able to relate to and start using immediately. It has helped bring me closer to understanding my child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read, May 20 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
The title may seem a little over the top, but what a fantastic book, it gives parents a great insight into why a child may have a explosive tantrum, and know that it can be helped, so for all the parents who may feel that the explosive tantrums are out of control this book can help!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, Jan. 26 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Excellent read, especially how to problem solve, using different plans, ie. Plan A, B and C when facing difficulties with children. I started using it with great results so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info!, July 12 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Made me realize I am not the only one going through this. Great information that is doable...can't wait to try these techniques!

CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 15.99