‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book if your little child is an abusive monster!, Dec 21 2009
If your child, even as young as one year old, is wild, explosive and starting to physically abuse you, I HIGHLY recommend this book. My son is six, and I wish I'd had this book when he was one. Even so, it vindicated my years of decisions to NOT use corporal punishment (and not to medicate or pathologize), since, as the book rightly says, "every child wants to be good"!

NO OTHER professionals understand these children (99% will automatically assume the family is violent) or can resist labeling them incorrectly with miscellaneous trendy dysfunctions, but this author resists.

Greene has a solid step-by-step approach to dealing with the explosions, and I found his approach helpful. But really, the fact that he NAMED my wild child correctly; treated him humanely; didn't pathologize him or our family; didn't infantilize and bore me as a reader; and didn't suggest drugging him -- these things made all the difference!

I can't say enough about this book. Other people see a monstrous brat and assume the worst (or else the behaviour only happens at home and nobody believes you); Greene sees an "explosive" little child (otherwise smart, healthy and sane) who WANTS to be and do good for himself and his family.

Don't wait til your child is too old! Buy this book NOW if you have a feeling that, even as a young toddler, your child's temper is white-hot. Even if s/he's too young to reason with, you'll start developing Greene's method and make it into habit.

I could kiss this Greene guy for writing this book! And it's so perfectly titled!

(And I'm not a shill for him or the publisher -- I've wasted money and read LOTS of utterly useless parenting books that went straight to recycling. Most psychologists write lousy books that should have been two-page pamphlets.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - realistic help, Jan. 21 2010
JLT (Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I have read many books about how to deal with my warm, funny, smart, explosive child. Other books have helped me understand WHO he is, which has helped me with my patience, but this is the first book to offer practical, realistic, doable instructions on how to make living with him easier. Part way through the book, I tried out the "empathy" step. Understand that I thought I had oodles of empathy for my son, afterall, I lie awake at night wondering how I can help him. But taking what felt like a fairly ridiculous step of just repeating what he had said turned situations around on a dime. Presto. I know we still have work to do, but this was truly like having someone wave a magic wand for us, and is helping us see that there is light at the end of what is still a very long tunnel. I disagree with the reviewers who say this is not preparing children for the real world, and that it is just a diversion around problems -- they either didn't read the book, or they read it with preconceived notions and didn't understand what the author is saying. Teaching your child how to deal with problems is absolutely preparing him for the real world, and probably one of the most important things that we can do for our children. I didn't buy this book a year ago because I didn't want to have an "explosive" child. I bought softer sounding titles instead, but nothing helped. This book is about Collaborative Problem Solving, which is something the world could use a lot more of, and I heartily recommend it to anyone, parent, or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Explosive Child, Oct. 19 2009
Julie Anne Sprague (Canada) - See all my reviews
This was a great book with strategies that are helpful when dealing with a explosive child. However, I feel the book is for children who are at least seven years and older. My son is five and is not mature enough to enter into the problem-solving methods that are suggested in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource and source of confidence!, Feb. 27 2012
This review is from: The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children (Paperback)
This book is a great resource and source of new found confidence! As an occupational therapist, I have to be extremely adaptable and read my child clients very effectively. I often work with chronically inflexible and easily frustrated children and my approach to this behaviour is often inconsistent. However, with Dr. Greene's book, I now feel better prepared to work with these children while maintaining a handle on my professionalism and confidence as a fly-by participant in these children's lives.

I also think every parent should read this book. Not only for those parents who have an inflexible child, but also those who don't. It's fresh spin on parenting and may increase the flexibility of our already flexible children. It also fosters independence and choice, which is often taken away from some of our strictly parented children.

GREAT BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUY!, Dec 17 2011
This book is a great buy for anyone wishing to learn new techniques, and good ones, to parenting a child with implosive or explosive children. It is a good source to help people watching these families and finding themselves confused, to understand exactly how it works. It is very detailed, and has a very solid great technique to parenting these children. While talking things out like this might not always work - you try your best and take it one day/battle at a time. If you were on the fence about buying this product you should not be now, it is a great asset to any explosive/implosive household!! Good luck to you all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read, May 20 2014
The title may seem a little over the top, but what a fantastic book, it gives parents a great insight into why a child may have a explosive tantrum, and know that it can be helped, so for all the parents who may feel that the explosive tantrums are out of control this book can help!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Explosive Child, March 27 2011
This book, though it did not help me much with my FASD child, definately gives me more information and tools to work with as far and dealing with explosions with in myself. This book I would recommend for any parent with any child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Methods don't work overnight but my daughter loved reading it with me and seeing that there were ..., May 5 2015
for us this book finally helped me understand my child. Methods don't work overnight but my daughter loved reading it with me and seeing that there were other people who felt like she did! would definitely recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, Jan. 26 2014
Excellent read, especially how to problem solve, using different plans, ie. Plan A, B and C when facing difficulties with children. I started using it with great results so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to help you better understand your child's explosions, May 28 2014
Very practical advice, with examples that you will be able to relate to and start using immediately. It has helped bring me closer to understanding my child.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›