biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night s Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: HardcoverChange

on November 9, 2010
You have to dig Gary's Enthusiasm. He says everything with so much passion and gusto, that you do get absorbed in this book. During the read (which is short, it's a very easy read) you feel compelled to work on your own personal brand. It gets you to think about your passion. I enjoyed that part as it left me inspired, for a short amount of time reading the book (about 3 days) and it quickly dissipated thereafter.

This is an account of what worked for Gary. I think I try to keep in mind that I don't really view Gary as a consultant or coach, therefore I attribute him towards having very little experience in expressing what others should do and more knowledge about expressing what happened to work one time for himself. He has been working as a consultant since the book came out, so I'd be curious to see what changes he would make to this book, now that he has a little more perpective on others, versus just a perspective on himself. I find that books of this nature are best written by people who have experience in working with others on the subject matter.

In closing, he's a better video blogger than writer (he admits to this himself in the book a few times) but what the book really lacks is substance. It's vague, covers a wide assortment of topics but everything only briefly, as if to only to give you a little taste of what he's utilized to facilitate his own success. After a certain point, you kind of feel let down. On one hand, it is cool to see the process Gary went through, on the other, sad that he didn't include more details about a little more than just the basics. I would have liked to see a little more info on individualization and what his experience working with others has yielded. At least he is real about it all though. His authenticity is refreshing.
on February 15, 2010
Different people motivate in different ways. At first I thought Gary V was too "in-your-face" for me as I tend to be more of a relaxed guy. After a few episodes of WLTV I realized that Gary was simply being Gary. He is excited... all the time. It doesn't take long to notice that this excitement is actually how Gary shows passion for what he loves. You can see this passion in his Wine Library TV episodes, his keynote speeches (or Q&A sessions) and his book Crush It.
The book is a quick read and is focused on how you can and should be doing what you are passionate about - no excuses. Gary V tells you why social media and the internet in general make it easier than ever to build your brand online and get out there into the world. He explains that success goes to those who hustle and value customer service (hustle meaning hard work).
He does all this while spilling entertaining stories of youth and success that make you want to get out into the world and Crush It as soon as you turn the final page. The book itself gets four stars but Gary earns a fifth star for narrating the audio book himself and going off script a lot.
on December 17, 2009
This book is quite possibly the easiest to read book I've picked up this year ... it was entertaining, easy flowing and quick to read. Yet it also packed a serious punch.

I dare you to read this book and not feel inspired to work harder, pursue your passion and build your own personal brand.

And... with his simple steps you are going to know exactly what you need to do to begin doing this! He doesn't waste any time giving you a bunch of details but he does give you a plan to follow. And he is doing this without a motive... he's not selling you anything else so he is totally upfront and honest about the fact that you are going to work harder than you ever imagined to do it. You'll also have more fun that you ever thought possible. And the little stories he shares of other people in the world doing great things to build their brand will make you WANT to work harder than you've ever worked before.

I think this is one of the best business books of 2009... and definitely one of the best books I read in 2009. It's going to be a gift under the tree for several of my friends and family!
on October 29, 2009
I can't recommend Crush It highly enough to anyone doing anything on the web (which should be everyone).

Though fairly short, it is packed full of great info. For those who follow Gary and watch his videos/talks a lot of that content is summed up and expanded on in here, with a bit extra. It's great though to have it all in one place for reference or just for inspiration. If you haven't seen much of Gary then this book is even more worth it.

The book is very readable (unlike some business books) and you wont want to put it down. There is also an exact step by step guide on starting a blog and generating tons of traffic, and then monetizing it. This alone is worth the price of admission.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

- Eugen S

Twitter: @eugen_s
on October 13, 2009
I have been following Gary Vaynerchuk and his message for about four or five months now. Around August I had enough of sitting on the sidelines and started chasing my passion. In my case that passion revolves around marketing, branding, and beer. My first step was to start [...] and interacting with the beer community. At this point I am a couple months into the process and have an avid following of hardcore beer fans and brewers. Not only that but since I started focusing my energy on this other doors have opened for me. My internet marketing career is taking off, my nine to five is ever improving, and I am on my way to do what I want to do for a living full time.

All this said, last week I received my copy of Crush It in the mail. Needless to say, I wish I had this book to help guide me since I started on this journey. No useless info, no bs, just the real info you need to get started crushing it. I have to recommend this book to anyone who wants to stop working for the weekend and start doing what they care about for a living.

@cbjerrisgaard
on October 11, 2009
Crush it........ Ohhhhh am I'm going to CRUSH IT!

It is like social media concentrate, when I got the book I was a bit disappointed at the thickness of it but in the end that is one of the best parts, it does not flood you with tons of info. It gives you the info and tools you need to kick start your dream, and not confuse you on what path you should take. It gives you what you need, nothing more. That is more valuable than a few more pages.

The book starts by pumping you up, giving you hope, and opening the door so you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, In a way only the infectious Gary Vee can. Then he jumps right into tooling you up with the online resources you need to 'CRUSH IT' and get on with living your dream. There is no candy coating and he tells you like it is. It is a ton of work. But if you are doing what you love it will not seem like work, you will be living, not working.

A words of warning, it is literary caffeine. Personally, I am going to crush it, super nova style!

Ben.
on April 24, 2012
While I did enjoy reading about the author's journey to his success, I found the book lacking in useful content.

I was hoping to get some unique tips on building a personal brand but instead this book basically tells you to use twitter, youtube and Facebook (along with other less popular platforms). I'm already quite familiar with social media platforms and the book didn't tell me anything new about how to use them.

Also, the advice/suggestions that the author gives you is a bit unrealistic.... such as suggesting that you quit your day job (if not now, soon) to build your web business or else you'll have to work until 3am to meet your goals. He suggests that if you are passionate enough and use social media then you can make a lot of money. I honestly believe that most of us will be luckily to ever make a tiny fraction of his $60-million business. Of course he acknowledges that some of us will fail, but blames that on people who he says do not fully commit to their projects, aren't authentic and don't have enough passion. If only it was so easy.

Overall, I disliked the preachy and repetitive tone of the book and didn't learn much from it.
on April 4, 2010
Another small book that packs a mean, realistic punch. It hammers home the message that you are your product and success depends on your productivity and online presence. So, for those of you who are trying to live a truly balanced life, you may want to consider this piece of advice from Gary on page 88: "If you're looking for an easier time here, you're barking up the wrong tree...assuming you're doing this right, you'll be bleeding out of your eyeballs at your computer." If, however, you're all about hustle and don't know too much about the potential and power of the internet, then it is a great primer on fulfilling the all-American dream by means of combining your passion with the web. Check out the 21-point checklist in Appendix A (pages 135-137) and see if you really want to crush it.
on June 24, 2011
Français
Ce livre est plus près d'une lettre d'encouragement qu'un ami vous écrirait, avec de bons conseils sur la façon de vous faire remarquer dans le monde internet.
Quelques bons trucs sur le fonctionnement de l'internet en 2011.

English
In plain English, Crunch it: Is a book written in a style of a long letter written to a friend looking for some good advises on how to get notice into the internet world.
That book can be a help and a spirit lifter for a moment.

Normand Sauvageault
Québec, Canada

Lien pour le livre (Link to that book):

[...]
on December 22, 2009
If you are fan of personality ethic self-development books, this is the one for you. Gary Vee's simple rules is to work hard and care about all the people you are talking to. This is sound advice that carries way beyond entrepreneurship. It's a good book and a fun narrative. Definitely worth reading, but nothing mind blowing other than the personal stories from Gary.