5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring, Stirring, Riveting Page-Turner!!
Published on Jan. 26 2011 by Louise Jolly

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the book
I enjoyed the book, but the conditions were so bad that I'm surprised the author survived...so probably they were exaggerated. That puts the whole story into question. I wouldn't buy it again.
Published 9 months ago by Christina Mac Kinnon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring, Stirring, Riveting Page-Turner!!, Jan. 26 2011
Louise Jolly "Bookaholic" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Little Princes (Paperback)
In his early twenties, Conor Grennan thought he'd take a year off work and travel around the world. However, he originally wanted to brag to young women that he was going to do something special during his year away like saving children and that's exactly what he ended up doing. Little did he know at the time that his 2-week volunteer stint in Nepal would turn into two years!

These children were orphaned and Conor wasn't exactly sure if he wanted to get involved with a developing country in the middle of a civil war. But he soon came to learn that he felt more for these children than he thought he ever would. How could he walk away from these smiling children who were totally alone in the world and had come to love him so much.

The children weren't really orphans but servants for families who child traffickers were promising families in remote villages to protect their children from the civil war for huge sums of money and then lying and saying they would take their child(ren) to safety. The children would then be abandoned far, far from their original homes in the civil uprising of Nepal's capital, Kathmandu.

Conor soon found this bragging idea of his to be the adventure of his life when he becomes totally commited to reunite the children he had grown to love with their families, but it would be a very difficult job indeed. Conor would end up risking his own life on a journey through the legendary mountains of Nepal, facing the dangers of a bloody civil war and a debilitating injury to his knee and the threat of being snowed in, in the cold. Waiting back in Kathmandu was Liz, the woman who would eventually become his wife and share in his life's work.

Conor sets up a home called "Next Generation Nepal" and did fundraising back in the United States to buy the home, furnish it with furniture, stoves, beds, blankets, and pillows for the children he hoped to house there. He figured he could accept approximately 26 children and all these children came to love Conor dearly. With a total of $6,000.00 raised he began to build the home.

Little Princes was an inspiring, stirring, moving page-turning adventure that you won't be able to put down. Beating this novel for the top spot in 2011 will be difficult although I've already said that about one other book but believe that one now comes in second!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Jan. 12 2011
This review is from: Little Princes (Paperback)
this is my 1st review i have ever written about one of the many books i have ordered from amazon. but , i had to write a review of this book because I LOVED IT !!

the author , conor , has you hooked by page 2 as he tells in complete honesty of his " motivation " to go to nepal and help " helpless " orphans. he shares his plans loudly to the girls he wished to impress.
he is also honest about his complete lack of any CHILD CARE EXPERIENCE and he shares his only skill he had was the ability to "bend over and pick up things" !!

well , all this soon changes as he arrives in nepal. you fall in love with the kids he meets , just he does.

the story is well written as the author describes the entire political situation in nepal .. he also gives vivid descriptions of life in nepal for the citizens of that country.

i had to go to work the night i started the book. it went with me and every break i had i continued to read. i had to stay awake to finish the book as once i started i had to know what was going to happen to the kids and to the people who also worked with him. an excellent story of the difference a few people can make to the lives of others !!!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK !!! I DIDN'T WANT THE STORY TO END !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs Q: Book Addict~ Visit my blog for newest reviews., Jan. 18 2011
Title: Little Princes
Author: Conor Grennan
Publisher: William Morrow
Pages: 304
Source: ARC from Publisher
Category: Memoir
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis:

29-year-old Conor wanted to take a year long trip around the world, after receiving some criticism from his peers about this foolish trip, he decided to volunteer at a little orphanage in war-torn Nepal. Who could criticize a man who was taking a trip to volunteer to help little children? Conor thought is sounded pretty impressive, and after his 3 months, he could walk away and he would be free to do as he pleases. However, those 3 months changed his life forever, and when he tried to leave he realized a large part of him remained with those children.He had to go back. Conor was astonished when he learned that these children were not in-fact orphans, they were children subjected to child traffickers. In war-tore Nepal parents were desperate to keep their children safe, parents were willing to sell all their possessions to pay to keep their children from being conscripted into a rebel army that had formed in opposition to the government. Child traffickers were promising families in remote villages that they could protect the children -for a large fee- they could bring them to safety. Desperate parents would sell everything, and trust these strangers to take care of their children. The children would be led far away from home, and abandoned in the capital of Nepal, many of them landing in orphanages. Their parents far away, and unaware. After his 3 months, Conor continues on his trip but realizes he must do more. Conor gained the trust and love of the children and vowed to help them be reunited with their families. His initial ideas about his trip were abandoned, and he throws himself into trying to open a non-profit organization to help these children.

Overall Impression:

This is one that everyone should read in 2011.'Little Princes' is a powerful, heart-breaking, brutally honest memoir. Truly amazing, and a real eye-opener. Once I picked this book up, I couldn't put it down and I immediately wanted to tell everyone about it. The good news is, it's in the bookstore and you can go pick yourself up a copy. Child trafficking is not something that I knew a lot about, and it's so sad that these parents honestly thought their children were going to be educated and well taken care of, instead they were made into slaves, abandoned on the street, or placed into orphanages. This book made me grateful for everything that I have. 'Little Princes' reads like fiction, and then you remember that this is a true story that happened not long ago. While this can easily be a very depressing book, Conor's humor and the children's resilience really shine through. So, one more time...PLEASE GO BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read, April 19 2011
This review is from: Little Princes (Paperback)
This is hands down the best book I've ever read. I finished it last week and, after deciding it was in my top 3 best books, I'm ready to declare it number one because I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I put it down. Tears still come to my eyes from just the thought of this amazing story.

It's an incredible true story, but it's written in such a way that it reads like a novel, grabbing and keeping your attention throughout. I felt such a connection with all of the characters that I actually miss reading about them now that I've finished.

Conor Grennan's words made me laugh, cry, and smile. His story reminds me that there are kind hearted people left in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars When Talent Meets Passion and Becomes Change, Feb. 10 2011
Paula M. Schuck "Inkscrblr" (London, ON. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Princes (Paperback)
When I received Little Princes in the mail for review I made a snap judgement call that this was about to be a story of an American who adopted some children internationally. Turns out, I proved the old adage you can't judge a book by its cover. Little Princes by Conor Grennan combines passion, talent and a desire to change the world. On a quest to journey the world and fill a gap year of sorts, Grennan chooses in 2006 to travel to Nepal and work in an orphanage named Little Princes. He is young and single. He is also not prepared for what meets him there. Grennan is plunged right into a civil war zone. Despite little experience with children, Grennan is quickly enamoured by the tiny orphans. Nevertheless he does his three months there and leaves to travel the Globe. In Thailand, while visiting a friend, he feels the need to return. This book is a lovely and inspiring memoir about Grennan's passion. It is sparked when he first sets foot in the orphanage and it continues to grow after he leaves, causing him to return again. He stays to learn more about Nepalese culture and as he learns more of the nature of poverty, he also discovers that the orphans in his charge, are, in nearly all of the cases victims of child traffickers. Despite horrific violence and danger posed by Maoist rebels, Grennan risks his life to find their families and return them home. This is the story of a man who refused to look away when he realized death certificates had been forged and that government corruption was rampant in Nepal. It is a passionate story and a moving memoir. Over the years that he worked at Little Princes, Grennan, visited family in the United States. In 2006 on one of the visits home, he set up a foundation to protect the Nepalese children. Next Generation Nepal is still active in the country and has a web site for more information. In light of the discoveries made here in this book, others should more thoroughly investigate other areas of the world where child trafficking may very well be just as rampant.

Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal, Conor Grennan

ISBN 9780061930058, publication date Feb. 1, 2011, William Morrow publishers, $25.99, 304 pages with colour photo insert and Index.

Thriftymommasbrainfood rating $$$$$ out of $$$$$

I received a copy of this book to review. The opinions in this blog are all my own.

Little Princes

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Princes, March 9 2011
This review is from: Little Princes (Paperback)
So nice to read books where the writer is so selfless and so caring. It kind of reminded me of Three Cups of Tea and Schools Out Of Stones by Greg Mortenson. To me it was a "got to see what happens next" kind of book. It gives such a wonderful feeling of helping those less fortunate than we are without expecting much if anything in return. A definite "feel good" book.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best I've read, Jan. 9 2012
Laura Fabiani (Montreal) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Princes (Paperback)
Most of you who read my reviews know that I don't usually gush about the books I read unless I'm blown away. Well, this one has definitely blown me away! Get ready for some unapologetic gushing. My reading year has just begun with Little Princes on the top of my favorite books list.

Conor Grennan's memoir about what started out as a three-month stint volunteering at an orphanage in civil war-torn Nepal quickly turns into a riveting account of one man's mission to reunite the kids he had grown to love with the parents they were stolen from. There are so many things to say about this book, I don't know where to start. I am still absorbing its impact on me.

First off, it needs to be said that this book is so well-written, with a narrative that flows smoothy from one scene to the next. I truly felt like I was living each moment with Conor as he recounted his journey. His honesty, sincerity, and wonderful sense of humour made this book such a pleasure to read even when the reality was heartwrenching. I laughed so hard when reading his experiences with culture adaptations and was moved to tears when reading of the children's hardships, resilience and ways of seeing the world. How wise they were even at a young age!

I fell in love with those children and by the end of the book I felt like I knew them. I fell in love with Conor as a human being who risked his life to fulfil an extraordinary quest to help reverse child trafficking in Nepal. But there is so much more! We meet a slew of wonderful people with hearts of gold such as Farid, the French young man whose dedication and friendship equal Conor's, the vivacious couple Jacky and Viva of the Umbrella Foundation, courageous Anna Howe, the inexhaustible Gyan of Nepal's Child Welfare Board, and of course, beautiful Liz Flanagan, with whom Conor corresponds through email.

This book is about hope and although the situation of the children is sobering and so sad, Conor focuses on them as individuals. He allows us to get to know the people of Nepal much as Greg Mortenson did in Three Cups of Tea for the people of Pakistan and Afghanistan. It is impossible not to rejoice with them in their triumphs no matter how small or trivial they may be in our Western world. After reading Little Princes, you will be left with a good feeling. But don't just take my word for it. This book is so worth reading.

Whether you are interested in world events, children, humanitarian work or just reading a personal and page-turning account of a young man whose life took on a new meaning after meeting a group pf children in an orphanage, you've got to read this book. Not only will it make you stop and think outside of the big bubble called 'me' but you will be doing your small part to help the children of Nepal since a portion of the proceeds from this book will go to Next Generation Nepal, the non-profit organization that Conor and Farid launched.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart-warming, Jan. 4 2012
Sverre Svendsen "Uni" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Princes (Paperback)
Here is an account of how a comfortably self-centred American, who had no experience with children, dives head and shoulders into an alien situation in which children are in desperate need of sustenance, care and comfort and he becomes their heroic rescuer. The book shows how a young man's awakening sense of duty and self-worth compels him to volunteer his time for a few weeks in a Nepalese orphanage. If it proves to be a boringly inconvenient waste of his time, he muses, at least it will earn him some bragging rights with his friends. But his experience soon has him converted to make a long term commitment to the plight of the children who are like sponges sucking up the love and attention provided by him and the other volunteers. By pure chance (or divine providence) an American woman, Liz, who is also involved with helping children, contacts him on the Internet. They soon exchange their ideas and experiences daily on the net. She visits Nepal and eventually, after he has spent three years in Nepal, they marry and settle in the U.S. where they continue to promote their organization in aid of the children.

Integral to the telling of Greggan's personal experiences is what we learn from him about Nepal's isolating geography, harsh climate, despotic politics, cruel child-traffiking and desperately deprived rural villagers. His description of the children's exuberance--even about the simplest things in life, their sense of playful humour and high jinx and their devotion to their culture and family ties is heart-warming. Greggan's own devotion to the children and his quest to reunite them with their parents is admirable. His realization of the importance of spiritual precepts for his own life, while working in Nepal and in conjunction with the flowering of his relationship with Liz, who is a Christian, is revelatory. The photographs in the centre of the book make the story come fully alive. Anyone who has interest in NGOs working with children and learning about the types of challenges faced by volunteers in foreign lands and cultures would enjoy this book.

The work could have had more depth by exploring social, economic, moral and religious questions. It tries hard to be neutral when situations beg for some stimulating questions or comments. A simple map of Nepal and the location of the regions and villages in the narrative would have been a welcome addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, March 5 2011
This review is from: Little Princes (Paperback)
This was a wonderful book to read, it was written with such humour and made me laugh out loud. A book about the human spirit and about what just one person can do to make the world a better place. I want everyone I know to read this book and I have also chosen it for my book club to read. I found the description of Conor's trip through the mountains to find the families of the children most interesting and I felt like I was right there with him. I say "BRAVO" to this book and to Conor for a fascinating story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Princes, May 5 2011
This book was undoubtedly one of the best books I have ever read. I have read Three Cups of Tea, but this book really captured me with its wonderful story line and in my eyes was much better than Three Cups of Tea. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the history of Nepal, in very tumultuous times, and the ordeal suffered by the children of Nepal who were trafficked and taken away from their wonderful familes in the hopes of a better life; how one man risked his life in order to help these poor children. It is so well written that I had a hard time putting it down. A truly fantastic book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›