5.0 out of 5 stars Near-perfect "Blood"
In urban fantasy, human beings are usually the pathetic losers - we don't get any cool supernatural powers that witches, werewolves or vampires get, and we're usually depicted as ineffectual racists. At best, we're just oblivious.

Published on Feb. 21 2012 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointment
In general, I love this series. However, this particular installment is rather weak IMO. For example, in the first third of the book, Rachel agonizes about getting a tattoo. Nothing much happens, apart from that.

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

She gets the tattoo, eventually, and it makes no difference whatsoever to the story.

**** END OF SPOILER...
Published on March 26 2012 by Harmony K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near-perfect "Blood", Feb. 21 2012
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: A Perfect Blood (Hardcover)

Kim Harrison is among the few authors to tackle the subject with any real depth. "A Perfect Blood" is a smart, witty, fast-paced book where a small but clever cabal of humans humans are the enemy. While the plot gets a little bogged down in Rachel's woes as a new demon, the main plot is tense, taut, and genuinely scary at times.

Rachel is furiously treading water in the government bureaucracy when an old, powerful vampire (via a young one named Nina) offers her a deal -- if she helps solve a bizarre crime, he will arrange for her to be declared "alive" again.

But the crime is more than merely strange: a young man who was ritually murdered, and partly transformed into a hideous beast-man. Even worse, he's not the first. Rachel realizes that someone was trying to transform him into a demon. And the perpetrators seem to be HAPA (Humans Against Paranormals Association), a hate group that wants to destroy all Inderlanders, and is now using magic to do it.

And since Rachel's demon blood makes her a huge blinking target, she begins worrying about the people she cares for -- and what will happen if she finally removes the elven bracelet. But soon she begins to realize that has members hidden in the IS and/or FIB -- and everyone around her might have their own agenda. To keep herself and her friends safe, she might have to trust

I honestly have developed a leetle pet peeve at how humans are depicted in urban fantasy -- usually it's as frothing racists who have no chance against the overpowered supernaturals, but for some reason they're able to oppress the poor Metaphorical Minorities. Ugh.

"A Perfect Blood" is one of the few that DOESN'T annoy me. It's tightly written, burning with dark intensity and filled with taut action scenes and some genuinely scary foes. The scariness of HAPA is not just that they're fanatics using magic, but that they're SMART. And, well, that the authorities don't want to acknowledge that they exist.

With such an intense plot, Kim Harrison spends a lot of time weaving dark plot threads and spidery twists into the story. But she also includes some of her trademark wit and humor (Jenks' stormy love life with Belle) and some touching moments (Rachel has Kisten's pool table refelted), and some genuinely suspenseful mysteries (who is Felix?). The one downside is that for some chapters, the HAPA crisis gets shoved on the back burner so Trent and Rachel can deal with her demon problems.

Rachel spends most of this book being crippled by her fears and her denial of her new demon nature -- and she won't be able to trounce HAPA unless she overcomes them both. And her relationship with Trent is growing by leaps and bounds. While she still doesn't fully trust him, Rachel is starting to see that the stately elf is not the monster she once thought he was, and that he might feel more than friendship for her. It's actually rather cute, in a Lizzie-and-Darcy way.

"A Perfect Blood" isn't quite perfect, but it's close enough to be one of the best books in Kim Harrison's series yet. It's dark and intense, but threaded liberally with humor and a tinge of romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, Nov. 7 2012
Even after nine wanderful books, the plot and the caractors keeps-you turning those pages until the wee hours of night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., March 13 2012
D. Paine (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Perfect Blood (Hardcover)
Excellent book. Well worth reading. This book will make you wonder if she and Trent might eventually become something more than allies and sometimes friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Installment, March 5 2012
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Perfect Blood (Hardcover)
Kim's books are like candy: Once I start a book, I'm unable to put it down until the very last page. Consequently, I find myself waiting anxiously for months only to be finished in hours. In this book, we learn of a human organization dedicated to the extermination of paranormal species (HAPA). As with all of Kim's books, ends are never quite tied off leaving me sure that this is not the last we'll see of HAPA. Older characters such as Ivy and Jenks seem to get less page space here, but we see meaningful develpment in Rachel's relationship with Trent. One complaint for me would be fewer scenes with Al (my all time favourite character), Newt and the other demons, but the stage appears set for demons to play a more prominent role in the next installment. Looking forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a Perfect Blood, Oct. 15 2013
This review is from: A Perfect Blood (Hardcover)
I have read this entire series and really enjoyed this last episode and look forward to many more to come in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top 5 Series Ever!, Sept. 28 2013
Bootsy Bass (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As previously stated.....I LOVE this series. Reading the first ten books...book after book...was an amazing experience. I love the writing, the characters, the plot lines. These are perfect books for me. I can't wait to read book 11, (saving money BIG price jump for this one), and the forthcoming (as of this writing) Book 12. REALLY REALLY GOOD. I can't praise Kim Harrison and the Hollows series enough!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointment, March 26 2012
Harmony K. (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

**** END OF SPOILER ALERT ****

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Feb. 26 2012
Michelle Penney (Port Hope, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Perfect Blood (Hardcover)
As a series, I give the Hallows 5 stars, I really enjoyed the characters and story lines, but this last book, and don't read further if you don't want any spoilers, I would give 2.5 maybe 3. I'll tell you why.

But first, I must mention that I thought Rachel was out of character at the end of the last book, Pale Demon. I fully expected her to demand Trent remove the armband ASAP so she could save Peirce.

Rachel was always going into life-threatening situations to save people; even people she didn't really like. (Trent, for example) But she was content to let Peirce be tortured by Al, because Al believed him to be responsible for her death?!!

This situation I thought would be rectified early in the next book, but no. Five months pass, in which she hopes Peirce is still alive, feels guilty for his possible death/ or continued torture, but leaves the armband in place.

On top of that, because she is magically helpless, she gets her backside handed to her multiple times, by mere humans. Humans who could jump out of the way of her splat gun, not once but many times. I mean, the only time she successfully hit anyone, was when she took out an out of control vamp, who also happened to be on their side.

This book irritated me no end and I admit, I skimmed over those areas that bugged me the most. Honestly, Rachel, who has been able to handle fights with Interlanders, was a bumbling boob against humans, even after she finally has Trent remove the band.

I was expecting her to finally kick butt with her magic available to her; after all, she held her own against the day-walking demon in Pale Demon, but no. She's once again beaten badly, and would have been killed if Trent hadn't shown up.

A Perfect Blood
A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison (Hardcover - Feb. 21 2012)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01