5.0 out of 5 stars Why Did I Read This?
Published on Feb. 27 2004 by toxicomaniac

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing
Published on Dec 10 2004 by wonderment

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Did I Read This?, Feb. 27 2004
I am absolutly stunned. Why do I like this book so much? How did I manage to finish it? I am a 21 year old man living in a modern city and I somehow related to this book. I have nothing in common with the characters or the author or the story or the setting. I had to read this book for college but dropped out before reading it. Several months later I picked it up and gave it a try. I'm not sorry I did. Thinking about it now I start to realize what is so good about the book: it's author's compassion for humanity. All characters in this novel suffer a great deal (partly because of their own stubbornness) but retain their essential humanity: they still need to be loved. And while reading it you can feel the author's longing to be loved herself. So this is what made me read through the book: it speaks directly to your heart in a way you can not ignore.

4.0 out of 5 stars The dark and brooding tale of Cathy & Heathcliff, Jan. 10 2008
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What a great experience to finally reread this classic as an adult. Emily Bronte depicts a very gothic and depressing story of two star-crossed (but not terribly likeable) lovers, Cathy & Heathcliff, and the love between them that transcended the grave. Added to that a wonderful depiction of the dark English moors and the local characters with their strange dialects. This was also told in a very unusual style, like a tale within a tale within a tale, adding more layers and perspectives to the story.

How unfortunate that one's upbringing can so affect a person that their grief and bitterness turn what could have been a fine young man into such a hateful and vengeful person as Heathcliff became. And fortunate that Cathy's daughter and Hareton could overcome their dark upbringing to bring a happier light onto the dark moors of England.

I did not read this version of the book, but the Selected Works of the Bronte Sisters, which did not have all the footnotes. I think I enjoyed that better as I wasn't constantly distracted by looking to the back for the notes and just allowed myself to become engrossed with the story. It's one book you have to read at least twice in your life -- of course in school as required reading and then again as an adult to add that perspective of age and experience in life so that one can more fully appreciate a such a classic tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wuthering Heights, Oct. 26 2001
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Paperback)
Although Wuthering Heights is written in very old english and is not easy to read, the story itself is very touching, romantic and parts of it is tragic.
Heathcliff, an orphan, is raised by Mr Earnshaw as one of his own children. Hindley despises him, but wild Cathy becomes his constant companion, and he falls violently in love with her. When she will not marry him, Heathcliff's terrivle vengeance ruins them all - but still his and Cathy's love will not die.
This is a book which gets quite intense and the relationships between the characters get quite complicated but it is a good book to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, Dec 10 2004
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Hardcover)
I was expecting something in the vein of Jane Eyre when I began to read this book. I was sorely disappointed. True, the violent love between Heathcliff and Catherine is heartwrenching; however, the most difficult part of this novel for me was that there was no character that was lovable, or sympathetic. Just when I started to think that Heathcliff was not so bad after all, he would commit another shocking deed of horrific cruelty. Catherine was just annoying. I also found the plot hard to follow, what with a third person telling the story, and then swinging back to first person narrative. If you want a really powerful, uplifting love story, read Jane Eyre, or The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wuthering Heights, July 28 2003
Evan (Tennessee) - See all my reviews
I am reading Wuthering heights in preparation for and AP English course, and am finding it to be the most tedious book I have ever read. I used to think that Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea dragged, but i was sadly mistaken. This book is a drawn out and dreary affair. I have enjoyed "classic" literature in the past but this is unworthy of being dubbed "classic". I would never reccomend this book to another living person, but maybe I'm just and "immature" reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 STARS, April 22 2014
Sofie (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Like most books written before 1940, and especially those written in the 1800's and below, Wuthering Heights is a bit difficult to read, and there are several boring parts.

Chapter XV (I have a different edition) for me was incredibly powerful. I could feel Heathcliff and Catherine's love for each other burning through the pages. They get only one, just one, brief moment to confess their undying love for each other. The next chapter is equally as powerful. I could feel Heathcliff's despair and rage over Catherine's death.

"Catherine Earnshaw, you may not rest, as long as I am living! You said I killed you - haunt me then! The murdered *do* haunt their murders. I believe--I know that ghosts *have8 wandered on earth. Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! Only *do* not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I *cannot* live without my life! I *cannot* live without my soul!"

This quote and Catherine's bold confession to Nelly of her feelings for Heathcliff are my favourite quotes in the story.

Wuthering Heights definitely isn't easy to get. So many characters share the same name and sometimes it gets dull. But when Heathcliff and Catherine are together on the page, it is passionate, heart-breaking, powerful, and you will realize why Wuthering Heights is considered one of the greatest love stories of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, Sept. 17 2013
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Paperback)
I would firstly like to apologize for my delayed review, I thought I had sent one in prior. It was in great shape when it arrived and met all of my expectations. Anyone who likes a gripping romantic novel with twists and turns along the way should definitely give this book a shot!

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantic no moor, Jan. 1 2013
Chris (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Paperback)
Based on references in books like "Twilight," I thought "Wuthering Heights" was going to be a romantic read, something similar to Jane Austen. What a misconception! The residents of Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange were the most miserable population of characters since (before) "Valley of The Dolls"! All that gloom, all that inbreeding! Five names shared by ten people! Still, I enjoyed Bronte's writing; I liked the atmosphere. And I liked Heathcliff, his volatility, though I don't consider him a romantic hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wuthering Heights, Oct. 18 2012
Amazing! Can't wait to read this book! :) The cover looks beautiful, and the quality is great too! :D Truly a classic with an intriguing plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Twisted Tale of Obsession, Love, Class, Hate and Fate, Oct. 25 2006
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Paperback)
Wuthering Heights is a surprisingly modern novel given that its authorship predates our modern understanding of psychology. Like many modern novels, Ms. Bronte has also explored the darker side of human passions and psyches more thoroughly than the sunnier side. Heathcliff will remind you of classic characters whose lives were twisted by fate like Captain Ahab in Moby Dick, Erik in Phantom of the Opera, Quasimodo in The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, and the mysterious prisoner in The Man in the Iron Mask.

If there were ever two star-crossed lovers who have captured the world's imagination since Romeo and Juliet, they must be Catherine and Heathcliff. Yet, unlike, many such pairs, their unhappiness is heavily influenced by themselves.

As you contemplate their story, you are constantly drawn to the thought, "what if" thus and such had occurred differently? That's part of the great power of the story because it has so many unexpected twistings and turnings. A reader's expectations from a love story are turned upside down, sideways and diagonal from where those expectations normally rest. As a result, you'll probably decide this isn't a love story after all . . . but a tragedy. Taken from that perspective, you'll find yourself hearing echoes of Lady Macbeth and King Lear as you contemplate what occurs when the natural order is disturbed. Few English authors since Shakespeare have captured that sense of what can happen when the universe is disarranged.

What's great about this story? It's pretty simple: Emotional intensity in the writing; deeply memorable characters; doomed lovers; and a haunting glimpse at unshakeable obsession.

What's not so great? The story development itself is pretty awkward. Much of the story is told in flashback which steals power and immediacy from the narration. If ever a story cried out for being told in the first person (by Heathcliff, Catherine, Edgar Linton, Hareton and young Catherine), it's Wuthering Heights. The transitions from one key moment to another are often very abrupt. Sometimes it is 150 pages later before you get the full sense of what Emily Bronte meant to convey in some of those transitions.

What's less than great? The characters aren't nearly as appealing as those you'll usually find in a novel dealing with these issues. In that sense, the novel is more realistic than fictional . . . which helps create some of its immense power. It's probably a worthwhile price to pay.

Whatever you think of Wuthering Heights, you owe it to yourself to read one of the most moving tales that has ever been written. Pick a time when you're feeling reasonably happy to start the book. Otherwise, you may find your mood to be more than a little darkened for a few days.

Wuthering Heights
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (Paperback - Sept. 28 2009)
CDN$ 9.99