5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait ...
Can't help mentally casting this adventure ... once again a thrilling read from our favorite techno-cowboy! Readers of Anathem can relax ;) as more of a swashbuckler than the psychological romp we enjoyed last release. Good fun for all ... still casting
Published 22 months ago by Cyndoo

3.0 out of 5 stars Yawn
I'm a Stephenson groupnik. I own all the books he has written, save one. If I get started on the Baroque Trilogy or on Anathem or on Zodiac, it's difficult to stop me. To the point that my family religiously avoids to bring me in "started" mode relative to these.

But I don't get Reamde. Attention, mild spoilers follow.

The catchiness stops at the...
Published on March 21 2012 by Cristian Tibirna

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical epic entertainment from Stephenson, March 1 2013
Joe Boudreault (Hanover, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reamde: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
"Reamde" is, the author tells us, a twisting of the words "Read me" which appear with most software programs. They are twisted because of a virus flooding the Internet's fictional game world of T'Rain. Players in that world compete in medieval dream battles for digital gold. The Re4amde virus hijacks the game and forces players to pay fees to recover their loot. Hence we are introduced to "ransomware" and the ongoing intriguing worlds of Neal Stephenson. You don't have to be a Net nerd to understand this - Stephenson does a very good job of indoctrinating the reader into high technology.

I am allowing four stars here not because I think it is as good a novel as "Cryptonomicon" (I don't think it is), but because Stephenson is simply one of the most provocative and entertaining writers out there. So the credit here goes to his bold, funny, epic, hugely descriptive and all-encompassing barrages of characters and scenes. Some readers are put off by Stephenson's asides and diversions - I wish there were more of them. But eventually, even this wide-reaching adventure seems to get bogged down in so many gun fights and stalk-and-destroy episodes that the head whirls and the senses are numbed. The first half, set in southern China, is the best portion. I do not fault Stephenson in any way for any of his narratives; I do fault my own patience when I have encountered a whole 1056-page realm of shoot-outs, blow-ups, hostage-bashing, hi-jacking and waylaying. That's where the senses get numbed, from overkill, even if well-described as it is here. Yet even Clive Cussler or Tom Clancy cannot/do not hold a candle to this sort of yarn weaving.

This could easily have been called "Zula's Story" as it is the feisty and unforgiving character of this little Eritrean woman, Zula Forthrast, who completely carries the novel. We do also get to like the Russian, Sokolov (no first name), a veritable James Bond of energy and resourcefulness, and to a lesser degree the Hungarian, Csonger Takacs, the reluctant bodyguard. While I understand the authors blunt detailing of, complete distaste for, and non-sympathy for terrorists (nothing could possibly make me like them, not even Abdallah Jones), I found myself liking the Chinese hacker, Marlon, in spite of the fact that I think creators of viruses should be strung up on an anthill and forgotten. And there is the tenacious and endurable Chinese guide Qian Yuxia (another reluctant heroine), and of course the fatherly Richard Forthrast, whose reminiscences into his smuggling days on the Idaho-B.C. border could make an interesting novel by itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait ..., June 25 2012
This review is from: Reamde (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephenson fanatics will hate this. Everyone else..., May 27 2012
Ken Breadner "Pageflipper" (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reamde: A Novel (Paperback)
...should love it to bits.
This is one of the best thrillers I have ever read. And finally, Stephenson has managed to write something *accessible*. I have tried and tried to get through the Baroque Cycle, but Stephenson keeps reminding me how stupid I am, on every page, until I'm too stupid to turn any more pages.
You'll learn stuff, reading this -- the man can't help himself -- but you won't feel like you're being talked down to And what a ride. Pages turn by themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, March 21 2012
Cristian Tibirna (Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reamde: A Novel (Paperback)

But I don't get Reamde. Attention, mild spoilers follow.

The catchiness stops at the title misspelling (complete with the geek culture reference). The rest is just some book. I realize I might be overly harsh, because I hoped for a story and levels of creative imagination made almost a requirement by the other Stephenson books. But this is how I think now (two months after finishing reading). I promise that, while reading the book, my opinion was even harsher.

There is almost no scientific fiction. There is perhaps some fiction, but of the kind that, if it didn't dully happen already in the real world, one wonders why. If this book was published 20 years ago, it would have been a hit. Character descriptions are still Stephenson'esquely sharp and powerful. The "adventure" ingredients are spicy and rushy enough. This is the creation of a very talented and very experienced writer, after all. But there was something lacking all the way through. Once you finish it, you just get to stand there, scratching head. If at least the ending was not so melodramatically holywoodian.

It is my first rewiew with such a tone and I'm not happy about it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired and too long, Jan. 20 2012
Canadian (Ottawa, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reamde: A Novel (Paperback)
I'm a fan of Stephenson's early writing. Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon are among my all time favourite novels. But his latest, REAMDE, is not worthy of his talent as a writer. The story is bloated with too many flat characters and hackneyed thriller twists that belong in a cheap Tom Clancy knock-off. This novel could have been edited in half. Its too long. It got very boring in the middle and I was tempted to put it down and move on to something better.

My advice, pass on this one. There are better novels out there. Don't waste your time on this weak effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readit!, March 20 2014
This review is from: Reamde: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I burned through the pages. A fantastic cast of multiple compelling characters and subplots. It starts when a hacker selling stolen credit card info has his data compromised by a virus developed by gamers in China who hold the data for ransom for virtual gold in a WoW like MPG. The hacker is kidnapped by Russian mafia and dragged to China. Interesting characters cross paths. Hackers, gamers, jihadists, intelligence agents, mercenaries and homesteaders interact in a complex, spellbinding plot.

3.0 out of 5 stars "When Do the Pirates and Dinosaurs Show Up?", Feb. 22 2013
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Reamde: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Zula Forthrast and her boyfriend Peter visit Uncle Richard at his Canadian ski resort. Richard got his start as a small-scale marijuana smuggler slipping along little-known trails between Canada and the U.S. He left the increasing violence of this life for the slightly-less-violent world of online gaming. Before long he founded a company to develop the large-scale online gaming environment of T'Rain. Richard returned to the land of his beloved Canadian trails and bought a big chunk of it to build his resort.

Peter unwisely uses the resort as a hand-off point for a file of stolen credit card numbers. His flash drive introduces the Reamde virus into the other party's computer system. This gets various people... upset. The resulting fuss embroils Russian gangsters, Islamic fundamentalists, government spies, trigger-happy mercenaries, trigger-ecstatic backwoodsmen, and--very occasionally--legitimate law enforcement. Everybody shoots at nearly everybody else. Eventually some team up and others check out. I won't spoil the story with specifics. But even one or two of the characters seem to find all of this action a bit implausible.

Flashbacks provide needed breathing space as we learn more about Richard's history and the intricacies of T'Rain. This is necessary to understand a few plot twists. The Reamde virus, it seems, works by encrypting files on players' hard drives. They can only get the encryption key after paying a ransom in virtual gold at a specific location in T'Rain. Thanks to the challenging features of the game, the large number of ransom-payers, and the finer points of money laundering, this isn't easy. So things get intense online, too.

These parallel plots are well-balanced. Reamde is recommended as a pretty good read.

What Reamde isn't, surprisingly, is science fiction. It is marketed as a techno-thriller, but I'll confess to having missed this. While reading I had believed that the "goldmining" and other economic transactions in T'Rain were clever extrapolations. When I mentioned them to my World of Warcraft-playing son, he set me straight. At least the deals he's been in were for smaller amounts. So far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chain Reaction, June 30 2012
Dave_42 "Dave_42" (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Reamde (Hardcover)
Neal Stephenson's "Readme" was published on September 20th, 2011. I don't know if it was intentional to publish it in anniversary month of 911, but given the international terrorism element of the story it is somehow fitting. "Readme" is a large book, with a story which arcs from a computer virus which extorts gold in a computer game (which can be turned into money in the real world) to the Russia Mafia, to international terrorism, but the core of it all is the relationship between Richard Forthrast and his adopted niece Zula.

Given that the title of the book refers to a computer virus, one would expect that the virus and the game that it involves would play a more central role to the story than it actually does. Not to say that the Reamde virus isn't important to the story, quite the contrary, it is the virus which sets off the entire chain of events. Stephenson clearly spent a lot of time coming up with the concept of the virus, and the computer game it uses to extort funds from those infected, and the early part of the book incorporates the discussion of the game, and its underlying premise. The strategy behind the development of the game is told in some detail, and is important to the character development of Richard.

The virus works by encrypting the user's data, and informing the user that to release the data they must deliver a certain amount of gold (in the computer game) to a specific location. Where it goes wrong is when Zula's boyfriend has promised some data to a buyer, but then cannot deliver because his data stick has become encrypted by the virus. It then turns out that the person interested in the data is a member of the Russian mafia, which results in an attempt to find the programmer who created the virus. The story then heads to Xiamen, China to bring in the hackers, but as they attempt to capture the hackers, Zula's attempt to warn them results in the involvement of some Islamic terrorists, who just happen to be in the same building. The chain reaction doesn't stop there though, as the terrorists, led by Abdullah Jones, a black Welshmen who also is being tracked by MI6, manage to take Zula as a hostage.

The Islamic terrorism plot dominates the story the rest of the way, and of course it all comes back to an attempt by the terrorists to get back into the U.S. from Canada by using Zula's rich uncle. In my opinion, this is unfortunate, because the terrorism plot was the least interesting to me, and outside of the Abdullah Jones character I found it to be rather cliché. Most, if not all, of the terrorists are two-dimensional characterizations, while the characters in China, and those associated with the Russian Mafia were much more interesting, as was the concept of the game and the virus.

The end result is that this is a solid book, and it will keep the reader entertained, but my personal rating can't go above three stars. Even Stephenson's books which are not at his peak are well worth reading, and this one is no exception. There are many great characters in this book, though I thought that it was a bit unrealistic how much everyone (except for the two-dimensional stereotypical terrorist characters) were so entranced by Zula to be a bit over the top. Because I wasn't that interested in another "terrorist" story, I thought that the story dragged for a substantial section, but for those who want that type of story it may not be an issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Cyberspace-Tinged Thriller Courtesy Of Stephenson, But Far From His Best, Feb. 6 2012
John Kwok (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Reamde: A Novel (Paperback)
"Reamde", Neal Stephenson's latest novel, is a poor echo of such earlier great work like "Snow Crash", "The Diamond Age" and "Cryptonomicon". But in a year that saw rubbish like Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One" and Colson Whitehead's "Zone One" published, Stephenson has demonstrated that he's not only a far more insightful writer than Cline or Whitehead will ever be, but more importantly, that he hasn't lost his superb gifts for storytelling and writing very good prose, and that both will keep interested readers in suspense until the very last page. At slightly more than one thousand pages in length, "Reamde" isn't a novel for the faint-hearted casual reader, but those willing to take the plunge will discern quickly that Stephenson has inserted so many riveting plot twists and turns that he'll keep not only fans of cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk fiction intrigued, but even those who are accustomed to reading techno-thrillers from the likes of Tom Clancy. One of the reasons why "Reamde" is so long is Stephenson's steadfast adherence to realism which permeates the novel; whether that realism is devoted to computer gaming, fanatical Islamic terrorists, or the proper handling of pistols and rifles. His descriptions of these are among the best I have encountered in recent fiction, even if there are still many instances where Stephenson's writing could have benefited from some judicious editing.

Richard Forthrast found his personal sanctuary in a remote corner of Idaho in the 1970s, while illegally smuggling pot from Canada as a draft dodging émigré. That sanctuary becomes a tourist resort, and then, years later, the headquarters of a multi-billion dollar empire based on his bestselling computer game, T'Rain played online by millions of fans around the globe. But the game's success has also made it the target of a hacker who has designed REAMDE, a computer virus which encrypts all of a player's computer files, holding them for ransom. A desperate search for the hacker will take Forthrast's young Eritrean-born niece Zula on a continents-spanning trek, as an unwilling accomplice and later, captive, of Russian mobsters and Al Qaeda-linked Islamic terrorists. While "Reamde" doesn't match the high literary craft of "Snow Crash", and especially, "The Diamond Age", it is still a well written, fast-paced thriller that many will find most compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars How does a computer virus link to the Russian Mob, MI6, China, and Online RPG ? Great Read, Feb. 23 2013
fastreader - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Reamde (Paperback)
Main Characters - we have a billionaire ex marijuana smuggler, a computer geek who created the Reamde virus and is benefiting financially from it, we have a Jihadist terrorist and his crew, we have a couple of hardcore RPG geeks, we have a Russian trained commando, we have a deep cover MI6 agent.

Plot Lines - all the above characters are shaken, not stirred, and for some of them they come out blazing with guns on automatic. The characters travel around the world it seems particularly China, Taiwan, England and Canada and the USA. The characters are reacting to each other and at times they are so close to each other however are oblivious to each other unaware of their ultimate destiny.

The start of this high thrills adventure is the corruption of a large number of stolen credit card numbers by the Reamde virus. Those numbers were headed to the Russian Mafia and they are not pleased to be denied their cash cow from using those numbers.

From there we go to Taiwan to deal with the creator of the virus and run in the terrorist who happen to be in the same building.

Art the end of the book we have all the factions and their still living representatives face off in a battle royal of snipers , shot guns, hand guns, grenades and rocket launchers around the Canada USA border.

Great character development, great plot line development and over laps, fantastic action scenes and great details on the RPH T'rain

Thank you to the author for the references to British Columbia, Washington State and the Selkirk Loop which are all in my neighbourhood

A large book with a significant investment in time to read, however you get so many dividends back that it is worth the effort.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED along with the authors other books Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon

ARRAY(0xbd40e24c)

Reamde: A Novel
Reamde: A Novel by Neal Stephenson (Paperback - Sept. 20 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 4.16