4.0 out of 5 stars Quick paranormal YA read with great characters
Paranormalcy is the first in the YA series by the same name which was written by Kiersten White and first published by HarperTeen in August 2010.

Published 9 months ago by Allison Allain

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok ;(
Published on Feb. 26 2011 by Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok ;(, Feb. 26 2011
This review is from: Paranormalcy (Hardcover)
With most reviews on this book being really good, I was really thinking I would love this book. I am such a fan of YA paranormal books, well any paranormal books really. Paranormalcy was alright, it wasn't bad and it wasn't great. It was a quick easy read, but I'm not sure I will really care to read the next book. I might if I get bored just to find out where the story went. I think the writing was only ok - it just wasn't a book that got my attention and pulled me into the story. I liked the characters, it was funny, witty and sarcastic and I think that's what kept me going. I really like how Evie and Lend communicated; it was sweet with a mix of sarcasm, which made it fun. Evie was pretty funny with the remarks she would shoot at any given person or shall I say paranormal (as most characters are in this book). Overall alright, but not the best. I am just not in love ;(

A funny paragraph...

Lish tried to swear-which is always funny, because the computer won't translate it. It went something like this:
"Bleep stupid bleep bleep faeries and their bleep bleep bleep obsessions. He had better stop bleep bleep the little bleeeeeeeeeeeep." All in a completely robotic monotone. Awesome. Lish could really get going sometimes. I loved her for it; she was like the big sister I never had.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick paranormal YA read with great characters, Oct. 3 2013
Allison Allain (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paranormalcy (Kindle Edition)

For as long as Evie can remember she has been working at the International Paranormal Containment Agency (IPCA) because only she can see through paranormal glamours. She has always thought of herself as a normal teenager with a passion for online shopping and high school dramas on TV, but she is about to realize that there is something sinister going on with her at the epicenter. Something or someone is killing paranormals and she is going to help find out what is going on so that they can stop this from happening. So much for being normal.

Unfortunately this book has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while. The entire series has already been released and I am only just reading the first book now. I must say that I was drawn to this book because of the cover it is dark yet beautiful. I like the contrast between Evie looking beautiful and pale in front of the dark and stormy looking sky. I have heard lots of positive reviews of the series, and since it fits well with the (not so) scary theme of the month I was excited to finally start this series. I listened to the audiobook and I think the actress did a fantastic job especially with Lish and the many voices of Lend, so if you get a chance you should check it out.

I went into the book not really knowing what it was about, but it sucks you in from the very beginning and it’s a quick read that makes you want to keep reading right through to the end. The main character is Evie who has the unique ability to see through glamours revealing the true form of monsters like vampires, werewolves and faeries. She is taken in by the IPCA to work for them and help them contain paranormals. Evie was a typical teenager worried about fashion, shopping and boys. I like that she was excited about normal things like lockers, high school and obtaining a drivers license. She yearns for the lifestyle that every teenager has and takes for granted. I found myself identifying with her girly yet tough personality. If I was going to own a deadly weapon of course I would want it to be in pink too!

There were some really interesting personalities in this book including Lish Evie’s best friend who happens to be a mermaid, Lend her dreamy crush who can take any form, the creepy faery Reth who was scarily obsessed with Evie, and a ‘villain’ who tries to get Evie to use her powers for evil. I loved reading about the interaction with each character because nothing felt unnatural or forced especially the budding relationship with Lend.

I liked the story, and found myself cheering for Evie and wanting to find out more about her. I like the inside joke between Evie and Lish that the robotic voice Lish has did not translate swear words and so throughout the book they say “bleep” instead of swears. I think it gets your point across without having to say inappropriate words.

I will definitely be reading the next book in the series which is called Supernaturally and was originally released in 2011. I want to see what happens next with Evie and Lend. The film rights were optioned prior to the release of the first book, but no definitive plans for a movie have been released. I think it would work well as a tv show, and I would watch it for sure.

Check out [...] for more reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming of Books Review, Feb. 20 2011
(May contain spoilers)

I knew I would love this book from the first chapter. Anyone who names their taser is totally awesome in my book. Plus Evie's incredibly witty and I love her sarcasm and humor. She still thinks of herself as normal even though she has the unique power of seeing through paranormal glamour's and works for the IPCA to help them track down different paranormals.

In most YA paranormal books you have the hot bad boy who's mysterious and brooding as the love interest. But Lend was nothing like that--I mean yes he was still hot. He's more the boy next door or one of your good guy friends that you have a crush on. Not dark or brooding in any way and the fact that he's a shapeshifter sets up a different dynamic between him and Evie. Whenever Evie and Lends are together you really get to see that these two are still only teenagers. They acted more like teens and the conversations they had were things that teens in their situations would most likely talk about.

It was cool to see so many different paranormals all in one book. Most books you have werewolves or vampires or faeries but Paranormalcy had many different paranormals all in the story.

Kiersten White did an amazing job with her debut book. The story was fast paced and was both light and fun but also had the darker storyline. The ending tied up some of the loose ends (hurrah! no cliffhanger ending) but it also has me anticipating book two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun times!, Jan. 24 2011
Vanessa M. Dow "Vanessa D" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paranormalcy (Hardcover)
I have been following Kiersten White's blog for a while now. It's one of my favorites. Her sense of humor always gives me a good chuckle. So, naturally, her debut novel has been on my must-read list for a while.

The witty writing style is definitely the star of the show as far as I'm concerned. Just about every page has some little quip, comment, or description that made me smile. I think my favorite one is the way Evie's best friend (a mermaid who has her comments translated by an uncooperative computer) swears: "Oh, bleep."

I also love Evie's take on the paranormal world she lives in. Vampires are desiccated corpses with a sexy glamour covering it up. Werewolves are not fun and friendly, but best suited for jobs in the security field. Faeries are pure evil with a slick of pretty on top. And don't even get me started on the hags. Evie wants nothing more than to distance herself from everything supernatural and be just a normal girl. So when she starts to realize that she might not be as entirely human as she thought she was, she's far more frightened than she's ever been of a mere vampire. Actually, I may never be able to think about vampires the same way after reading this book =o)

My only real complaint here is that the story is a little generic in some ways. If not for White's snappy writing, this book wouldn't really stand out at all. As it is, though, you've got a great read for fans of YA paranormals.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than normal, Jan. 3 2011
This review is from: Paranormalcy (Hardcover)
This quirky and charming tale had me laughing out loud and falling in love. Evie is my favourite kind of main character; witty, sarcastic and a little bit dark. Her ability to rationalize the abnormal was perfection. White does a really great job of balancing the strange aspects of the paranormal with the every day life of being a teenage girl who feels a little left out and lonely. Humor, action and an adorable romance move along this hilarious and compelling story, leaving the reader hanging in the end. Overall, a great addition to the paranormal genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing paranormal, Dec 22 2010
This review is from: Paranormalcy (Hardcover)
As I read more and more YA books, I begin to realize how important the voice is. Although I am not a teenager, I believe Kiersten White has captured the appropriate voice very well in Paranormalcy.

I first found out about Paranormalcy from many of the writer blogs that I follow. There were so many great reviews that I decided to check the book out for myself.

I love the twist Kiersten has taken on paranormals, even creating some of her own. It is refreshing to not read about the same old elves, vampires and werewolves. The main character Evie helps us to see them for what they really are.

Each chapter was plotted out well, leaving me in suspense at the end of each one.

So, if you enjoy reading young adult and/or paranormal books, be sure to check out Paranormalcy by Kiersten White. I look forward to reading Supernaturally when it is released in 2011.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read once you get past the superficiality, Dec 7 2010
Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
***May Contain Spoilers***

Right off the bat, if you find the slightest bit of superficiality in YA books as a turn off, or just not your cup of tea, then stay away from this book. I mean, sparkly pink taser named Tasey? Lots of "You are so hot!" banter, a character who is very much obsessed with how she looks "I felt so uncomfortable without my make-up on!", "Do these pink high-heeled boots match my zebra print wrap dress?", "Shopping always makes me feel better", maybe not in those exact words, but you get the point... These aren't the sort of things that personally interest me, but if they do, heck, will you love this book, if they don't- well, I still think that you will like the book (just maybe not to the extent that sparkly pink taser toters will ;) )

That being said, I couldn't not finish the book (due to the superficiality aspect of it), because if I didn't finish it, I would never learn more about Lend. Oh Lend, probably the bestest good boy I have ever read about and actually loved (seriously, I am usually all over the bad boys- Jace? Marc? Yes please!). He wasn't the wishy washy good boy we sometimes see that it a complete push-over or too nice for his own good. He was a strong character, helping Evie out whenever he could, extremely talented, and a pretty funny guy. Plus, his ability was pretty awesome, the ability to turn into whoever you want? Yep, that is pretty neat-o...

And what about Evie, the main female character of the book? Well I had hoped that she would be super kick-butt, independent and whatnot, but clearly as mentioned, she was pretty superficial (I will give her credit though, when Lend took on the body of a less than attractive teenage boy, she didn't even bat an eyelash, she didn't care about the looks, just the personality), but more than that, she was just a puddle. I lost track of the number of times she felt like crying or actually did cry. And yes, I understand that your life as you know it, is falling apart- but you have to get it together girl! There is so many people relying upon you and by not being strong, how can you ever help them? Seriously, if I were to find out that I possessed a supernatural ability, I would be ecstatic ;)... Simply finding out that you have a power does not make you a monster, it is how you use those powers that determines whether or not you are a monster (ie. I run around and kill everyone I encounter, using my powers, for sheer fun versus, I run around helping people, using my powers).

And the bad "guy" Vivian? I felt so gosh darn bad for her throughout the novel. She never chose to have the abilities she possessed and as she was raised by fairies for her entire life, she had clearly not experienced much in the way of love and having been raised by fairies she would have experienced so much of the evils of the Seelie/ Unseelie courts, and therefore it only stands to reason that she, also, would resort to being evil... She just wasn't dealt a good hand in life. And you know what? I don't think she even understood the whole extent of her powers... I think that the fairies showed her only how to use one (the evil) aspect of her powers, without explaining to her the good that she could do.

I must say that I do love the world that Kiersten has created. A sort of CIA dedicated to helping rid of the world of creepy crawlies and whatnot? Awesome! The fairy folklore/ prophecies? So intriguing! I cannot wait to see where the next book in the series, "Supernaturally", runs with the fairy idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars A light read, filled with pink cuteness, Nov. 9 2010
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Paranormalcy (Hardcover)
There's only one word that can describe Evie: cute. Everything about her is cute. I enjoyed reading what she was thinking and her actions are just like what a teenage girl would exactly do. This was accurately done and very well written. I thought the plot was good and kept my attention. It flowed smoothly and things were explained, yet still leaving the reader with questions that will be answered in the next two books. There's a good healthy mix of romance, action, and comedy to keep the reader entertained throughout the entire novel. Some of the comments made by Evie made me laugh out loud, and the budding romance between her and Lend is a nice read.

I also really liked Evie's friendship with Lish. They seemed like such a wonderful pair despite large differences between the two (Lish is a mermaid). I thought they were the perfect best friends pair I have ever read so far. Now in regards to the Evie's romances, I'm not so sure if there's really supposed to be some love triangle happening. I don't think so since it looks like Evie and Lend are pretty well off together. Reth keeps on coming in the way but I found him absolutely revolting and definitely not boyfriend material. He's like a real annoying fly but at the power of ten.

So, the plot's great. The characters are pretty well done. The other reviews and opinions seem pretty accurate about the book. So why do I feel as if I didn't enjoy this book much as others did? For starters, Evie's obsessed with the color pink. I personally can't stand the color and go out of my way to avoid it. She's so girly it's making me think she's a book version of Barbie. Perhaps I'm so used to reading tomboy characters, or characters filled with sharp wit sans the cuteness. So this is a rather huge contrast and change that I had to adjust to. Actually, Evie started getting annoying after the first few chapters. However liking the color pink isn't the only reason. It's her constant descriptions of Raquel's sighs. That got really old. REALLY FAST. I don't care what kind of sigh Raquel did, just keep the story going! to me, it was silly and the constant repetitiveness of it got to me and sad to say, it made a large negative impact on my opinion of the book. If it wasn't for these little things I probably would have enjoyed it much better. Perhaps I'm too used to tomboyish, mature like characters to properly enjoy Evie.

It really is a wonderful book and I probably will read the next two books following this. I'm only hoping Evie won't get as annoying (ie: tone down the color obsession..and the descriptive sighs)..because if this persists, it may just sway me to not pursue this series at all. Yet I do recommend this book to those in love with YA paranormal urban fantasy. It really is worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Sept. 11 2010
This review is from: Paranormalcy (Hardcover)
Evie was found abandoned as a toddler. After many foster homes and centers, the International Paranormal Containment Agency brought her to their home. And while her best friend was a mermaid, and her ex-boyfriend was a faerie, she always thought of herself as normal. But she could see through the paranormals' glamours to what they really were. And this was her job when she was sent out around the world to tag paranormals.

But now, suddenly, paranormals are dying and no one knows why. She meets a shapeshifter who she falls for and who helps her see what she really is and what her abilities are. And she soon realizes that her abilities might have a link to the deaths of the paranormals. Evie tries to find out how to stop these deaths and in the process discovers secrets that she never imagined.

PARANORMALCY was awesome! The first chapter title had me hooked (I read an ARC, so the chapter could always change, but I hope not). It was titled "Oh, Bite Me." Perfect!

I love characters who are sarcastic. And I love kick-butt girl characters who are also girly (If I ever need a weapon for something, I definitely want my own pink taser with rhinestones). And Evie is both. I just love, love, loved her! In fact, I kind of want to be her! She is just a strong character who also seems so real. I think she is one of my most favorite characters ever.

And Lend is awesome, too. What a paranormal power to have - to be able to change the way you look (Although if you can't really show your real self, I guess it could get old). And he was such a nice guy and so loving and supporting of Evie. I loved their relationship. It seemed to progress just right and nothing was too fast.

I even really liked the secondary characters. Lish, Evie's mermaid best friend, was so sweet (And the whole bleeping out curse words was bleeping great!). I even liked Vivian, who everyone was scared of. I felt sorry for her and wanted her to not feel alone and to have a family.

The plot had me guessing, too. I was never sure who the good guys were and who the bad guys were. Even up until the very end, I was going back and forth. And the cover is stunning - so beautiful (Can I look like her?).

I absolutely CANNOT wait for the sequel, SUPERNATURALLY, to be released next September! This is my favorite book of the year so far!

Reviewed by: Andrea

4.0 out of 5 stars Original & Refreshing!, Sept. 6 2010
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Paranormalcy (Hardcover)
Evie pretty much grew up at IPCA. They found her when she was eight, roaming in a graveyard and yelling at the top of her lungs when she got face to face with a vampire. Vampires might be all suave and attractive to humans, but Evie is no fool, she can see the rotting corpse hidden behind their glamour. In fact, she can she under every glamours, which make her the ultimate weapon IPCA possess in their mission to tag and control Supernaturals. Evie will question her life though, when Lend makes his apparition. Nothing will ever be the same.

I really really loved that book! Evie is girly, funny, smart and so easy to love. She grew up in a sterile government facility and it affects a great deal her social insecurities and her perception of the outside world. She loves pink cloths, teen TV shows and... Lockers. Yeah she has a fixation with normal High school... and lockers. Which I think is lovely lol. She will face dilemmas and will have to take important decisions that will affect the entire population!

Lend and Reth are respectively her friend (and she wish he was more) and her Ex (which she would love to get rid of). Even though the story is mostly about a girl and two boys, this isn't a love triangle. Both boys have a role, which even after finishing the book aren't as clear as black&White.

Plot was original, fast-paced and action-packed. I loved every word of it and I particularly loved the story's flavor if I may say. Characters all have that little something that makes them special and Evie is just so clever. I LOVED Paranormalcy!

On a different note, while the cover is beautiful, it doesn't represent the story well for me. I wouldn't have gone with something so dark, because even though Evie will face serious issues, the tone of the story stays light.

I truly enjoyed Kiersten's debut and I am anxiously looking forward to the next book in the series (Supernaturally - Fall 2011)! The end isn't a deadly cliffhanger, but many questions are still answered and I really want to know more! Great job miss White, you got yourself a new faithful fan =)

Paranormalcy
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (Hardcover - Aug. 23 2010)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71