5.0 out of 5 stars "Fantabulous"!!!
This book is absolute hilarious. I'm sure some people won't find it funny because it's full of vulgarities. Fair enough, no one said it's for everyone, but if you're the type of person who considers straight-talk to be anything near a virtue or "refreshing", you'll love this book.

Published on June 21 2010 by J. Tupone

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny read!
Funny book. Based on the guy who wrote the twitter feed (re: his experiences with his father) and the resultant CTV show. Enjoy!
Published on Jan. 3 2011 by Mazel

5.0 out of 5 stars "Fantabulous"!!!, June 21 2010
J. Tupone (Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)

It comes off as politically incorrect because the author's dad is so vulgar and matter of fact, but it's really not. The only thing politically incorrect about it is that you're not supposed to swear all the time... or ever I suppose.

What's also great about this book is that the dad isn't a low-brow or some caveman who can speak English. The profanity-laden comments he makes are actually quite profound when you consider how often people in our society seem to go on and on and never really say anything. The quotes get to the point, they're funny, they're a little bit "Wow that was really crude", but hey, no one said this man is a politician - it's supposed to be about the musings of a down-to-earth, straight-talking guy.

It's worth the read - a good laugh all the way through.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Dad (and Mom), June 21 2010
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)
Halpern's Dad is smart, doesn't take nonsense from anybody but is at the same time loving and fair. In my opinion, his son (the author) always saw through all the swearing to the core of the man (hopefully his other two sons did as well). This is a Dad who seems gruff but has his family's back and acts on it while maintaining a great sense of humor.

I particularly liked the last chapter. It made the read all worth while. As a single mother of two sons, I wish I had had a father like Sam for them. It would have given me (like Halpern's mom) the gift of being the nice person more often.

5.0 out of 5 stars A father and son's love knows no boundaries. Four letter words yes, boundaries no., March 17 2011
Timothy B. Riley (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)
Reading Justin Halpern's book brought back memories of my own father's words of wisdom. Although my father (a southern gentleman by birth) was somewhat more prudent in his use of curse words and references to sex, he never hesitated in telling his children (or anyone else for that matter) exactly what was on his mind. I remember when I introduced him to my first really serious girlfriend, a young woman who was more than a foot shorter than myself. He took me aside and said, "What's the matter, didn't they have one in your size?" However, when we later announced our engagement he was the first to congratulate us and brought out the bottle of Cold Duck that he was saving for such an occasion.

When the author was 28 years old he was suddenly dumped by his girlfriend and needed a place to live when he made the decision to move back in with his mother and his then retired father. Working from his new "home" as a writer for Maxim Magazine gave him the time (an awful lot of time according to the author) to see his father through new, adult eyes. The terror that he had felt in his youth due to his father's "bluntness" began to be replaced by admiration for the only person that he had ever known who really spoke his mind without self-censorship. It was only then that he began to see the wisdom in his father's tersely worded observations and began posting them on his Twitter page with the same title as this book.

Because Mr. Halpern Sr. has the gift of being able to "swear with great expertise" I can't quote many of them on Amazon, but here are a few of my favorite PG rated quips:

ON THE DEATH OF OUR FIRST DOG
He was a good dog. Your brother is pretty broken up about it, so go easy on him. He had a nice last moment with Brownie before the vet tossed him in the garbage.

ON MY BLOODY NOSE
What happened? Did somebody punch you in the face?!... The what? The air is dry? Do me a favor and tell people you got punched in the face.

ON THE MEDICINAL EFFECT OF BACON
You worry too much. Eat some bacon... What? No, I got no idea if it'll make you feel better, I just made too much bacon.

ON SHOPPING FOR PRESENTS FOR HIS BIRTHDAY
If it's not bourbon or sweatpants, it's going in the garbage... No, don't get creative. Now is not a creative time. Now is a bourbon and sweatpants time.

ON BEING ONE WITH THE WILDERNESS
I'm not sure you can call that roughing it son... Well, for one, there was a (EXPLETIVE) minivan parked forty feet from your sleeping bags.

ON SILENCE
I just want silence... Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more.

If you grew up with a Ward Cleaver type of father (or wish that you did) you may find Mr. Halpern's way of expressing himself to be crude, unfeeling, or even uncaring. Far from it. The author augments the pithy quotes (some recent, other's from his childhood) with brief essays that gives the reader a little more of the back story of this unique father-and-son relationship. Is it ideal? I have learned that, for me at least, the best way to judge someone's parenting is by the adult it produces. Justin Halpern's book reads to me as a love letter to a father that always tells it like it is and who made you who you are.

My father passed away at age 87 in 2008. At his wake (we are Irish after all so alcohol was involved) his former co-workers, friends and family paid tribute to him by telling our own little stories and quotes from a man who could be described as both taciturn and brutally honest. The recollections from my three brothers, my sons and myself included stories and things that my dad said that to the outside observer might have also seemed acerbic or even caustic, but to us it was the way that he showed us that he cared

This book is not for those addicted to a PC idea of what a father should be or for those who are easily offended by real life conversation. But if you, like me, value frank and seemingly brutal honesty (especially from someone who brought you into this world) this book will delight you as much as it has me. I only wish that I could give this to my dad for Father's Day. He would have laughed his (BLEEP) off!

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny read!, Jan. 3 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to laugh?, Sept. 12 2010
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)
First thing I notice is the size of the book, text and layout, it makes you want to read it.
This book is easy to read and will make you laugh. Its a good read for people interested in family relationships and dynamics.
There are good insights into personnel relationships, education and careers.
The number one attribute is the honest humour, its so funny. You will know when someone around you is reading this book because you will hear them laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed every second, I WANT MORE!, Feb. 17 2013
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)
Wonderful story and absolutely entertaining! Love his dad personality I mean who wouldn't??? Someone who speaks out of his mind and those are of the people we need in life!
The structure is well written and scripted as well so as a reader, you would not feel that this book is cocky me-me-me story type.

Ok negative comment about this book is that it is quite short... unfortunately... I finished it on the first day I bought it... FML... great gotta buy another book...

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day classic, Jan. 14 2013
S. Gatien "Sooph1e" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)
If someone claims that this book isn't funny, then they just fail at humour. The idea behind the book was to record every weird sentence Halpern's dad was saying and believe me, it will undoubtedly remind you of at least one relative. It is incredibly well written and couldn't be any funnier if he tried. I would re-read this book anytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Father Son Love and Humor Book I've ever read!, June 28 2010
Dave Welling (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)
This is by far the funniest book I've ever read about the relationship between a father and son.... I could not stop laughing from the moment I opened it. I read some of it to a few guys in the camp cabin one night and we were all howling together. Pick it up, it will have you laughing and tearing up from joy and and sometimes pain. Incredibly well written for all the sons, fathers and men in our lives who from deep love pass on wisdom of the ages by wrapping it in sarcasm and blunt observations.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Dad, June 12 2014
Squire "Squire" (Moncton, New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Kindle Edition)
I'm a Dad. If I couldn't muster a bit more vinegar than this book spouts, I'd put on a god damned dress.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, May 7 2014
Sylvia Holt (B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sh*t My Dad Says (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading this book. It's a light story - just right for when you don't want a heavy one - but well written, funny at times, profound at times, surprising at times, and when you come to the end you are glad you bought it. It was worth it.

Sh*t My Dad Says
Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern (Hardcover - April 26 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43