5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, Feb. 20 2011
Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Angelfire (Hardcover)
I have read a number of reviews of this book where the reviewer goes on and on about how superficial Ellie is (ie. all she cares about is how cute her car is, designer clothing, and whatnot) and I will be the first to admit that my superficiality meter (as I like to call is) goes off pretty quickly when I read YA books, but I didn't find it going off whatsoever in this book. There were maybe 2 times (at most) where I thought to myself, "Ellie, should you really be all that concerned about wearing make-up when there are crazy reapers trying to kill you?" and compared to a lot of YA books that is minuscule.

This book is super unique and not like anything I have ever read before (though if I had to compare Ellie's abilities to another book characters abilities I would say that her abilities are somewhat similar to shadowhunters, but Ellie's abilities might just be a bit more kick-butt because she can make her swords appear at any time unlike shadowhunters' steles/ weapons where they have to fumble to grab them whenever they need them) and this may just be the best take on angels I have ever seen before.

As for the boy of the book, Will? Well, all I gotta say is that I have another boy to add to my list "Book Boys I Swoon Over". At first it seemed like he wasn't going to have much of a personality because he was quite serious all of the time, but that quickly changed, and it was clear that he was such a caring and sweet guy and that he would do everything in his power, even risk his life, to protect Ellie.

All in all I think that no one will be disappointed by this book. It is clear that Courtney has quite the writing career ahead of her and dare I say it... She may just be the next Cassie Claire! I cannot wait for the next book in the series "Wings of the Wicked"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Debut. Read the ARC, bought a finished copy!, March 11 2011
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Angelfire (Hardcover)
Ellie used to think she was a normal girl. Attending high school, hanging out with friends, Movie Nights on Friday, worrying about her birthday party. Her life has been somewhat hectic with her parents fighting all the time, grades slipping at school, and her recurring nightmares, but hey, nobody's life is perfect right? Everything changes though when she meets Will. Gorgeous and Mysterious, the sight of him makes her very core vibrate. She's never seen him before, yet she feels she known him for century. Will will change her life, awaken powers in her she didn't know excited, but unfortunately, monsters from her nightmares also ended up being memories from her past. She must now fight for her life, her soul, and the whole humanity.

I LOVED Angelfire, Allison Courtney Moulton's debut novel, from the very first page to the very last sentence. This novel was full of adventure, suspense, passion, love and mysteries. There are so many great aspect to this book that I honestly don't know where to start hehe. Allison's writing was smooth and compelling, the pace of the story was just perfect and the lore was enchanting!

Angelfire's Lore is mostly based on religious beliefs, with some very original twist. The novel is pretty much an Epic Battle between Heaven and Hell, and Ellie is trying to prevent the Apocalypse. It sounds heavy right? But it's not. The Lore was explained to us slowly and carefully, which was great, because it easily could've been overwhelming. To try and make a long story short, Ellie is an ancient warrior, a soul reincarnating everything she dies fighting evil creatures called Reapers, with the ultimate goal of stopping Lucifer's attempt at raising an army to start The End Days. Will, a couple of hundred years old Hottie, is her Guardian, he swore to protect her with his life, like many before him did. But you will discover that there is more to their relation than this bodyguard duty.

Both main characters were simply amazing. I loved how Will is ambivalent in his actions, sometimes hard and cold, other times sweet and charming. You just know he cares for Ellie, and you witness his internal struggles. He is always there to support her, would do literally anything for her, yet you feel he is holding back, and you don't really know why. He was an amazing mystery to uncover! The best aspect about Ellie, was that Allison painted her in a realistic way. She might be an ancient warrior, but because of a weird amnesia, she doesn't know who she really is, and only have glimpses of memories every now and then. I enjoyed seeing her battling with her new powers, trying to keep a normal life, and try to figure out Will all at same time. Her fears and her failures made her believable. I appreciated that she struggled to get hold of her powers and that she didn't suddenly become all powerful. She had to work hard to make it work, and even in the end, she doesn't take anything for granted.

The romance was a delight really. Both characters unsure of their feelings, awkward in their actions, yet so in sync. I loved seeing flashbacks of their relationship in Ellie's past lives, and see its evolution in her current life. Everything will come together in the end, and even though I enjoyed it, I was taken aback from the conclusion.

The end was truly fantastic, violence and emotions were running high and the whole thing was bitter sweet, which is something I highly respect! Ending shouldn't always be sugarcoated hehe.

Angelfire is a delighting debut from Courtney Allison Moulton. Epic and soul-shattering, her story has everything it takes to take your breath away, and keeps you begging for more!

My Favorite Quote (please keep in mind this is from the ARC and might change in the finished version:

I turned my face into his, desperate to meet his eyes, and when I did, centuries' worth of memories of his face flashed across my mind, and of everything he had sacrificed for me, of all his blood that had been shed, of all the torment he had endured for me. His expression was stoic, so hardened, but his eyes told me everything. They always gave him away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales >> frosybookreviews.blogspot.com, Nov. 4 2011
This review is from: Angelfire (Hardcover)
This book was awesome! I'm always hesitant towards books that everyone seem to like and strongly recommend and I was glad to find out that all those people were right!

I love the aspect of reincarnation. In this book Ellie keeps coming back in order to fight demons. Not exactly what I would expect from a typical reincarnation book. I'm more of coming-back-to-life-for-love type of girl. But there is plenty of love in the air in this book.

Will is the one who brings her memories back or tries to couple of times and the attraction between them is clear but of course it wouldn't be that easy for them to get together and here comes the big and unexpected twist which I totally didn't see coming. Add more drama and tension to the love story and it's insta-love for me! What can I say? I love my characters to go through hell first in order to be together which I guess won't be far from the truth... in the next books.

Ellie as a person who has lived many lives, is filled with memories which she gradually gets back. Some flashbacks were terrible like the way she died, but others were little snippets of her and Will which makes you see the bond they share with each other and how strong it is. I hope though flashbacks continue on the next book.

Overall I loved it! Anglefire is a fast paced and action driven novel with a forbidden love that'll make you want to come back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book!, Feb. 16 2014
J. Hoffman (AB Canada) - See all my reviews
I rated it five out of five, as i love the plot line. Normal girl turns demon hunter. I love Ellie. Normal teen girl attending high school, hanging out with friends, Movie Nights on Friday, worrying about her birthday party having problems at home with homework ^with on class^.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BOOK EVER!!!, March 20 2011
Deanne Buss - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angelfire (Hardcover)
This is the best book EVER!!! I love all the twists and turns throughout which either had my heart pounding a hundred miles an hour or sighing or holding back the tears. I can't wait till the next one... which is like... a year from now!!!

Angelfire
Angelfire by Courtney Moulton (Hardcover - Feb. 7 2011)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43