5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic YA dystopian with non-stop action!
Dystopia is one of my favourite genres, and Divergent does not disappoint. It totally knocked my socks off, and I am kicking myself for waiting so long to read it!

Published 22 months ago by Darlene

2.0 out of 5 stars A long way to go
Ms. Roth's debut novel of a dystopian Chicago has a tremendous amount of promise.
Published 23 months ago by pisan100

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic YA dystopian with non-stop action!, Feb. 14 2013
Darlene (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Divergent (Paperback)

This dystopian society contains five factions, which developed as a result of people’s blame of different personality flaws for the world’s downfall: Amity (who are kind and loving towards others and blame aggression), Erudite (who seek to educate themselves because they blame ignorance), Candor (who are brutally honest because they blame schemers), Abnegation (who are completely selfless because they blame selfishness), and Dauntless (who are fearless because they blame cowards). The factions all have their own rules of dress, behaviour, food, and shelter.

When a person reaches 16 years of age, she will undergo an aptitude test which involves a simulation to determine which faction she will belong to. The subject is presented with different scenarios and options. How the subject chooses to respond to each scenario will eventually eliminate a faction. The test continues until just one is left. The person then needs to make a choice to either remain in the faction that she was raised in or transfer into another faction. The person does not necessarily have to choose the faction that was the outcome of the aptitude test. Rather, it reveals to the subject their propensity towards one faction over another. Faction transfers are often frowned upon by both the faction they have deserted and the one that they have joined. They often have to prove themselves that they are worthy of the new faction, since they have been raised in a completely different manner with different ideals. Each faction transfer must endure an initiation.

The protagonist of the story is Beatrice “Tris” Pryor, who is a 16 year-old teenager. She was raised in the Abnegation faction and is facing her upcoming aptitude test. Putting all others before herself has never come easily to her. Her older brother, Caleb, makes it seem so easy. Tris struggles with it, and she has always felt like she never really fit in. Her natural instinct is her curious nature, which has been stifled by Abnegation’s rules.

The results of Tris’ aptitude test are inconclusive. The tester reveals to her that she has equal aptitude for Abnegation, Erudite, and Dauntless. These results are rare, and she is warned not to discuss the results with anyone because it would be dangerous for her. Tris is faced with a monumental decision to either stay with her family in Abnegation or join another faction.

Roth’s world-building had me utterly engrossed. I loved the segregation of the society into different factions and how different each one was from the others. I loved Tris, and I could relate to her. Her strength and courage makes her such a great role model. I loved how she evolved and came into her own. I also really enjoyed the budding romance with her love interest, Four!

This is a fantastic YA dystopian with non-stop action, and it was difficult to put it down! I cannot wait to read the next book in the series, Insurgent, which was released last year.

I have really enjoyed the last few books narrated by Emma Galvin (including Kresley Cole's Poison Princess and Jamie McGuire's Beautiful Disaster), and this one is no exception. She was believable as teenage Tris, and she didn’t overdo the characterizations. She has a clear voice, which is easy to listen to, and her pace is bang-on. A great narrator draws you into the story and makes it even more intense, and Galvin certainly achieved this!

2.0 out of 5 stars A long way to go, Jan. 20 2013
This review is from: Divergent (Hardcover)
The world she envisions for her characters is a clever psychological study on what happens when society breaks people with similar personality traits into isolated "factions" - Would the strongest negative aspects of those traits ("bravery" into recklessness, "cleverness" into manipulative, etc) outweigh the positive once confined?
Unfortunately, the creative environment of "Divergent" cannot overcome the poor development of Ms. Roth's 2-D characters. The inconsistent actions and internal dialogue of narrator Tris reveals a protagonist more sociopath than heroine. If, once joining her desired faction, Tris's distasteful commentary were intended to unveil a conflicted character who battles with her own selfishness, that would be engrossing. However, our "protagonist" and her supporting cast become whomever the plot needs them to be without any consideration of previous characterizations. (SPOILERS) Tris is raised for 16 years to think of others before herself, yet feels immediately repulsed when a fellow child "initiate" cries over the loss of his family; generous, easy-going Christina becomes a greedy opportunist at the drop of a hat; gentle giant Al forgoes his affection for Tris when the author suddenly makes him into a vengeful almost-murderer; and so on.
This author is more than capable of inventing a fascinating world.
But there is a LONG way to go before "Divergent"'s characters can give readers any sort of emotional stake in what actually happens within that world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down Right Amazing!, June 5 2011
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Divergent (Hardcover)
The world & the government as we know it now is a faraway past for the characters of Divergent. They live in a futuristic community, divided in five factions, each believing one specific value is the best of all. Abnegation, the selfless. Amity, the peaceful. Candor, the honest. Dauntless, the fearless. Erudite, the knowledgeable. Each faction plays a role in society and every year, the 16 years old kid of each factions, after a simulation test, choose which faction they want to belong to. Beatrice, aka Tris, is a girl from abnegation and even though she believes in the principles of her faction, she feels like she doesn't belong. Her simulation test were also inconclusive, something she should keep a secret according to the Dauntless woman who ran her test. Her life depends on it. Trys will make a very hard choice on Choosing Day, but nothing could prepare her for what she will face in her new faction'

I finished reading Divergent a few weeks back and it took me a long time to write this review because I loved it so much I had a hard time finding the right words. Hopefully, my love of Veronica's debut novel will stand out!

I LOVED the world Veronica created and its uniqueness was refreshing. It's hard to create a world so different from ours while making sure the readers understand the dilemmas and convictions of the characters, but Roth succeeded hands down. Trys' situation is very tricky in her new faction, and her small physique makes the transition even harder on her and even though I've never faced anything remotely close to her situation, I could relate to her. Veronica's writing made it very easy to empathize with the lovable underdog girl.

All the characters are truly amazing actually and my favorite aspect was that every single one of them was in shades of gray. Nothing is easy as black & white and characters will make mistakes. Some terrible and unforgivable, other actions that seemed cruel from one character's perspective were merciful from another's. Trys & Four are definitely my favorite characters in this book and I rejoiced in their complicated relation. Zeke holds a small role, but definitely stood out for me. I also liked Al, Will & Christina even though some of their actions broke my heart.

The whole book is full of action and tension. It's a battle for survival and only the strongest will prevail. But strength isn't always obvious, and can take multiple forms. Veronica truly challenged her characters in multiple ways, and it was a delight to follow their struggles. And even if the world dark and harsh, there are some really funny moment to, here's an example:

The characters are talking about their fears:

" 'How were your moths?'
"You promised you would never tell!' cries Christina, smacking my arm.
'Moths,' repeats Will. 'You're afraid of moths?'
'Not just a cloud of moths,' she says, 'like' a swarm of them. Everywhere. All those wings and legs and'' She shudders and shakes her head.
'Terrifying,' Will says with mock seriousness. 'That's my girl. Though as cotton balls.' "

The end was a killer. The tension, the loss, the betrayal. A lot of strong emotions colliding to bring an epic ending to a fabulous book. The end isn't really a cliff-hanger, more like a chapter ending, and I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on the second book. When I finished reading Divergent, all I wanted to do was start reading it all over again. That's just how good this book is.

Thrilling and fascinating, Divergent will grab you by the throat and drag you in a world where you must stand up for yourself or die trying. The characters will have to fight in this ruthless and cruel world, hoping to create a better future for themselves and you can't help but cheer for them.

Divergent is for me the best read of 2011. High five to Veronica Roth!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, May 12 2011
Shannon (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Divergent (Hardcover)
I really like reading dystopia books, so that was the first turn on for me about this book. I found the 100 page excerpt about a month before it came out and just powered through it. When I got to the end, I couldn't believe I had to wait a month to read the rest!

I really loved this book. There was a good amount of mystery with the plot and characters that kept me reading and I got excited when I figured something out, whether it was before Beatrice did, or with her. There was suspense and surprises to keep me on my toes, and there's also some romance, which i like, but not enough to overload the book and feel like it's taking over from the main plot. When I first found out that it's another trilogy, I was honestly a little let down, because there are so many trilogies coming out, but the ending was so exciting, and I loved the book so much, that I can't wait to see what happens next.

2.0 out of 5 stars the book cover is more interesting than the actual story, Aug. 9 2012
This review is from: Divergent (Hardcover)
I cannot believe this is so popular. A true testament to the power of marketing.

Let's see...what I liked is that at least there was a plot and it moved ahead. For that, 2 stars. Everything else I think needs work.

The writing starts out with little flow - very jilted - static - no rhythm. It gradually improves, perhaps 1/4 of the way through, so got to be not quite so annoying that I wanted to put the book down after every page, but still a noticeable slog. Then there was the plot - unbelievable. Literally. 5 factions? Everyone goes along with this ridiculous idea? How simple minded is this future population? And in this future people only fit into 1 faction? The premise is flimsy. Everybody's personality is complex, a mixture of traits. How can people cling to one personality trait and call that a faction? Tris exhibits more than 1 trait and so is considered 'divergent' - and that's unique? Totally ridiculous. The characters too. They were either cardboard caricatures or inconsistent in their motives. Again, unbelievable. Also, the plot was too obvious - very few surprises. And throughout the book, instead of showing, the author tells. It makes for a more boring read. I could go on here, but I think what I've presented is warning enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for all readers, Jan. 2 2013
This review is from: Divergent (Paperback)
I know, I know... Dsytopia is getting a bit old, right?

True, but this is so far superior to the run of the mill group of knock-offs that you really need to do yourself a favour and read this.

I dare you to read the first few sentences and not become hooked. You really do become part of a different world for a while in these books. But it's a believable world with interesting action, and fully formed characters.

Fantastic, real characters of various ages (featuring strong, clever, and interesting girls AND boys, men and women)

Was adored in my house by a 14 year old girl, 16 year old boy, 34 year old mum, and 50 something grandmum. We all devoured it and the same goes for it's sequel: Insurgent.

Let's go Veronica, and get that third book finished!

4.0 out of 5 stars Divergent Review, Dec 5 2014
Divergent is a great and long adventure of a young teenage girl named Beatrice (Tris). Tris is 16 years old and society is divided by five different factions. Abnegation, Amity, Dauntless, Candor, and Erudite. Each faction has their own way of explaining their name and they all live by the way their faction is supported in. Tris is Divergent which means she is not only one faction but many.
Divergent is book which Push's you forward and actually make you want to keep reading. Not so many books can do this especially to people who do not enjoy reading. I can also give 3 supporting reasons why this books is so good.
It does not only have 1 genre in the book which makes it available for many more people to be able to read. This book also captures emotions very good which some books are not able to capture. The only flaw with the book I found was the ending. The ending was very sudden and did not close how I though it would. The ending came out of nowhere and was not predictable at all, and left the story open for a sequel (which there is one). The ending is left very open and with the reader many questions.
The final reason why I do like this book is how well the story progresses. In the book you won't find yourself reading just blank text with nothing happening in the book. Each character is deep with emotional and bqckstory and each character is new and interestimg like many people have not seen before.
Divergent is a unique and fresh experience to any reader. Even if you do not like books Divergent ahouf easily be able to grab your attention and bring you on to it's post apoctyliptic world.

4.0 out of 5 stars There is a kind of serum between the lines, Sept. 19 2014
This review is from: Divergent (Paperback)
The plot is really fast paced making it an easy read.
The concept is interesting, if not entirely believable.
I went between "the book is amazing" being catch by the emotional part of the story,
feeling as would I be one of the characters to "does this make any sense?" ...
There is so much action that you don't have the time to stop and think about it.
I found problematic the use of serums and simulations with no explanation about how and how long it works,
the division into factions, the faction less people and other things...
As I could switch my rational part off and just enjoy the action I couldn't stop to read it.
I imagined that all of this happens in another world where this all could make sense and that all this "human beings" in the story are not like
"human beings" on Earth.
I give it 4 stars because there is something...something that makes you keep reading and ignore your mind or questions
Maybe there is a kind of serum between the lines that makes you flip the pages in a reading frenzy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit overrated, but still good., July 31 2014
This review is from: Divergent (Paperback)
This was a good book. Was it the best writing in the world? No, but the pace of the story is always quick and the author manages to draw you in. I found there were a lot of names mentioned which were initially hard to keep up with, but eventually I got used to most of them.
The concept of the book is interesting, and I constantly wondered which faction I would belong to. I liked that, as I felt like it would draw readers in and make them feel like they belong in the story. It's also interesting how there are clearly two sides to every story, whether one was Abnegation or Dauntless, that such characteristics can be seen in completely different lights.
At first I had no idea why being Divergent was such a horrible thing and why it was so dangerous until the end. I kept asking myself, 'Who cares?' I sort of wish that maybe there was more to it, although at the end it's clear why it's so incredibly dangerous.
I liked Four, I did, except I hate how he seemed to detest any female character other than Tris. It seemed a little much.
I really like how the pace of the book is very quick. There's always something interesting going on. I wish the characters other than Tris, Four, and Al were fleshed out a little more. There were a lot of dark areas of the book that I didn't expect, although I really think it added to the story well. It was a quick sort of read, and the book probably could have been made smaller with a different layout, but it doesn't really matter. I'm so stressed about Christina in the next book. I feel like the author left enough cliffhangers to really make you want to read the next book. The ending of this book was kind of quick, and I wasn't expecting it considering all of the pages left, but those were just interviews and information and the like. I think it's a good book, and I think it'll make a good movie. I'm definitely drawn in and look forward to the next book when I get the chance.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Read, July 18 2012
This review is from: Divergent (Paperback)
I believe this book was meant for 12 to 14 year-olds. It was very simple and easy to read. Character development and depth was simple, and the plot was predictable. I was bored up until chapter 24 of 39. That being said, I am a fan of strong female protagonists and it was interesting to see Beatrice grow and change. I will not be reading the second or third book in this series because the ending of the first book was sufficient.

Divergent
Divergent by Veronica Roth (Paperback - Feb. 17 2012)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79