summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 22, 2016
This YA dystopian fiction book looks at the failings of humanity in a new way. By creating five factions, each focusing on one admirable characteristic (strength, truth, selflessness, kindness, knowledge) we see all the people, in the broken down city of Chicago, deciding on a faction at the age of 16. Then it becomes "faction before blood" as these young people leave their families and begin a new life. There is a great secrecy around those who test for more than one faction, or have many competing characteristics - the Divergent. As the novel progresses we learn more about their strengths. There are some great moral truths in this book and it is written in a thought-provoking way that engages older readers as well.
on May 11, 2016
good
on April 9, 2016
It wasn’t so long ago that I discovered Dystopian writing. I didn’t think I would like it because really, who wants to see a future where things are worse than they already are. I discovered that not only are the writers wildly imaginative but they manage to put their thoughts down on paper in such a way that I can’t help but be sucked in and Ms. Roth is no exception. She paints her Chicago in such a way that I can see Tris and Four, Christina, Al and Will and the rest of her creations in my mind’s eye. I find myself pulling for them, sneering at them and just plain getting angry with some of their choices.

That is the way a book should be though. I should be able to see the characters, run with them, fight along with them, laugh at their antics or get angry because of something they did and Veronica Roth has managed that with Divergent.

Well done.
on April 7, 2016
After having watching the first 3 movies, I decided to try the books because a lot of times the books offer more details and go further into the characters than movies do. To be honest, I am surprised this series made it to movies because I find the writing choppy and filled with fluff. The descriptions are very primitive and sort of thrown out there without any grace. As for the characters, I find them to fall short of how they come across in the movies. Tris is unpredictable and very immature and Four isn’t the levelheaded, mature, force-to-be-reckoned with that he comes across as in the movies. I had forgotten (or missed it) that they were 16 and 18 years old in the movies, in the books, they certainly act like it. I tend to skip the YA books/movies, because as an adult I have a hard time losing myself in a story that is trying to convince me these young kids are taking on such mature, worldly issues with competence and ultimately success. The book version I find unbelievable, but the movie version offers a more mature version of the characters therefore the story is more believably. Honestly, I would have thought they were early to mid 20’s. I’m glad there are movies for the series, they are very good, much better than the books. I would recommend the movies over the books.

I bought the bundle with all three books and Four's short stories. I have read the first book and am half way through the second.
on March 26, 2016
Geared for teens but it is an interesting and entertaining light read for anyone.
on March 10, 2016
at first i thought the book was very boring but as you get to the middle its realy good. Really recommand this to teens. Love it.
on March 9, 2016
Like Hunger Games, but with a girl going through puberty and is reading too much into her crush's actions.
on February 3, 2016
This was an amazing book. At first glance I thought the idea of society divided into five factions based on five human qualities was an odd idea and would be poorly executed. After reading it, I found it brilliant and I eagerly await the next book and to see the movie. I love Tris and her friends. Four/Tobias, I'm a little lukewarm to. He just seems so wooden and one dimensional, hopefully the next books his character will develop more.
on January 24, 2016
I like the wordwise most ! The story is also good .
on January 22, 2016
well it took me time to pickup this book and I personally think it does make a good story, but I hope that the second book will be better than this one. overall I do like it and for now I would rate it 5 star